The Jason Garrett GTFO Thread: He’s Gone

resilient part 2

Will Jason Garrett be fired by next game??  

35 members have voted

1. 1. JG will still be the coach next game?

• no Jerry Jones is finally fed up
    • Yes, thats why Jerry Jones is Jery Jones

3 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

idk. McCarthy seems like a pretty solid candidate to me. I mean, his willingness to self evaluate, adjust, and work on weaknesses within your coaching is big plus, imo. He seems to have invested a lot into analytics as well. 

I don't hate it by any stretch. 

Marvin Lewis though.....that's an LOL. If it revolves around the idea of coaching the defense, then maybe. Otherwise, not on board with this at all.

That has never been McCarthy’s M.O., though. He’s always been stubborn and unwilling to change. He certainly spent the last year trying to change his reputation of that, but if Garrett did the same thing starting now, would you believe he’d changed dramatically by the 2021 season?

I don’t think McCarthy is a disaster hire. But I’m certainly not inspired. 

52 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

That has never been McCarthy’s M.O., though. He’s always been stubborn and unwilling to change. He certainly spent the last year trying to change his reputation of that, but if Garrett did the same thing starting now, would you believe he’d changed dramatically by the 2021 season?

The biggest difference McCarthy and Garrett in terms of use of analytics is probably that the former acknowledges the existence of the field

Literally, when Garrett was about the Cowboys’ analytics use in-game, he wouldn’t even say the word. He consistently dodged the question and responded things to the effect of “Certainly we value analysis.”

12 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

The biggest difference McCarthy and Garrett in terms of use of analytics is probably that the former acknowledges the existence of the field

Literally, when Garrett was about the Cowboys’ analytics use in-game, he wouldn’t even say the word. He consistently dodged the question and responded things to the effect of “Certainly we value analysis.”

I think a year ago, you could have said very similar things about McCarthy as you can today about Garrett. 

That is not intended as a defense of Garrett. It’s intended as skepticism about McCarthy’s transformation over that past year.

4 hours ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

Schefter tweeted that Lewis was indeed interviewing for the HC position. I hate that, just hoping it’s to check off the Rooney rule... McCarthy does nothing for me, mostly because I don’t know if the Packers success was because of his scheme or because Rodgers is just a stud muffin 

Seems like the Packers got better without him.

They lost 3 games this year

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

There is definitely room for skepticism given his previous track record. GB appears better for it with 13 wins this year too. Maybe his demise in GB was mostly in part to his stubbornness or maybe after 12-13 years his message was falling on deaf ears. I suspect both were at play.

I doubt we see any drastic changes in how he does things. But, even a few subtle changes could make a big difference as well. Time will tell. 

Either way, I think he's a pretty significant upgrade over Redball.  His career tracks on par with Sean Payton's and I really don't think anyone would scuff at Payton being Dallas' HC. 

26 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

There is definitely room for skepticism given his previous track record. GB appears better for it with 13 wins this year too. Maybe his demise in GB was mostly in part to his stubbornness or maybe after 12-13 years his message was falling on deaf ears. I suspect both were at play.

I doubt we see any drastic changes in how he does things. But, even a few subtle changes could make a big difference as well. Time will tell. 

Either way, I think he's a pretty significant upgrade over Redball.  His career tracks on par with Sean Payton's and I really don't think anyone would scuff at Payton being Dallas' HC. 

Well, no I wouldn’t scoff at Payton, but I think he’s a far superior coach to McCarthy.

But anyway, my intention was not to make this McCarthy vs. Garrett. My belief is that the Cowboys can basically get anyone the want who isn’t a current NFL coach. So viewed from that frame, McCarthy is not a very exciting option for the reasons I stated.

6 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Well, no I wouldn’t scoff at Payton, but I think he’s a far superior coach to McCarthy.

But anyway, my intention was not to make this McCarthy vs. Garrett. My belief is that the Cowboys can basically get anyone the want who isn’t a current NFL coach. So viewed from that frame, McCarthy is not a very exciting option for the reasons I stated.

I think most would share your view when comparing, but I'm not so sure they are that far off. 

I would agree with the rest for sure. 

17 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I dont think McCarthy is that exciting. What does interest me is that I think he could put together a strong staff. 

1 minute ago, resilient part 2 said:

And you don't think Jerry Jones and is very unique way of owning a team / gm mean a team have nothing to do with it?

I think some of it is Jones. For sure. 

I also think a lot of it is a rabid fanbase that gives millions of clicks to every article out there. Which create a crapton of false narratives. 

Just think of the $40m/yr thing. It was disproved within minutes by Daks agent. It was then downplayed not once, but twice, by Dak himself. 

Yet our thread still said $40m. Every other NFL fan throws around $40m. $40m is an actual internet meme.

All because Jane Slater was fed bad information and put out a couple tweets on it. 

#falsenarratives