The Jason Garrett GTFO Thread: He’s Gone

resilient part 2

Will Jason Garrett be fired by next game??  

35 members have voted

1. 1. JG will still be the coach next game?

• no Jerry Jones is finally fed up
    • Yes, thats why Jerry Jones is Jery Jones

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

What I don't understand is how Jerruh got rid of Jimmy Jones (or at the very least he let him get away) after he built that team and won two Super Bowls, but can't see the error in keeping a guy around who is far inferior to Jimmy.  Where is the logic?  You guys have too much talent to be a .500 team at this point in the season.  :(

Jerry wants to be able to say that he built everything himself, from top to bottom. He couldn’t do that with Jimmy, because Jimmy had complete control of the team, so the only credit that Jerry could take back then was that he hired Jimmy to be the coach. With Garrett, he could take credit for everything AND be able to control everything that Garrett does because he’a a puppet.

16 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

To be fair.... Any coach did...

To be fair.....you missed the point......Matts too.

A team that Jimmy built in little 4 years. Funny how Jerry has never come close to matching his success again. Jerry thought the talent is what won the SB and yet many talented teams have been assembled Jerry and all of them have underachieved. Because Jerry wanted it known that he was responsible for the success and that just "any coach" will do. 

Switzer knew how to coach, but was a terrible management guy, and back then so was Jerry which is what led us into cap hell for many years. 

8 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

What I don't understand is how Jerruh got rid of Jimmy Jones (or at the very least he let him get away) after he built that team and won two Super Bowls, but can't see the error in keeping a guy around who is far inferior to Jimmy.  Where is the logic?  You guys have too much talent to be a .500 team at this point in the season.  :(

Because its all about Jerry. Jerry has to prove himself right and everyone else wrong that he was the difference maker not Jimmy Johnson. 

7 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Because its all about Jerry. Jerry has to prove himself right and everyone else wrong that he was the difference maker not Jimmy Johnson. 

The thing is, the longer things go the way they have gone for the last decade, the more he proves just the exact opposite.  I guess billionaires really do think differently than the rest of us.

16 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Whatever happens, I'll be cheering for you guys the rest of the way.  I'd rather see Dallas in the playoffs anytime over Philly, regardless of how good or bad both teams are.

At the rate we're both going neither team deserves to go. Can we have the playoffs without an NFC East team?

Edited by HDsportsfan

26 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

The thing is, the longer things go the way they have gone for the last decade, the more he proves just the exact opposite.  I guess billionaires really do think differently than the rest of us.

They do, Billionaires are Billionaires because they don't "sell" when the stock is crashing, and they will lose every last penny they have pushing  their idea chasing success insisting they are right

The thing is, Jerry has succeeded in this regard as an Oil man, He's succeeded in this regard as an NFL owner and because of this, He truly believes he will succeed this way as a GM. He doesn't have objective thinking when it comes to his success

People who do business with this mentality either end up dead broke (99%) or Billionaires (1%)

Edited by TheGame316
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

They do, Billionaires are Billionaires because they don't "sell" when the stock is crashing, and they will lose every last penny they have pushing  their idea chasing success insisting they are right

The thing is, Jerry has succeeded in this regard as an Oil man, He's succeeded in this regard as an NFL owner and because of this, He truly believes he will succeed this way as a GM. He doesn't have objective thinking when it comes to his success

People who do business with this mentality either end up dead broke (99%) or Billionaires (1%)

Maybe he will find his glory hole yet.

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Oh yes the ole'(amicable parting of the ways) while their shown to the Hans Gruber Memorial exit?

I know history, but I also know business.

Nah, I dont think you do.

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

History lesson time:

Jerry hires Jimmy to a 10 year deal in 1989 because they were buddies/former teammates. Jimmy joins the team fresh off a National Championship. Keep in mind this about Jimmy:

1. He had an extreme knowledge of who in college was good (not uncommon when NCAA HC jump to NFL). Vital to the draft.

2. He had the Nick Saban levels of egomaniac and control freak. 

First couple years go well. They create the trade value chart, sell it as gospel to the NFL and profit. Everyone wants to give 100% of the trade success to Jimmy. He deserved the bulk, but Jerry played a part as well.

In 1991 Jimmy and the Dallas Morning News came out with an article called "Power" discussing who was really in control of the Cowboys. During that draft, Jimmy made a trade with Bill Bellichick without telling or getting approval from his GM. Jerry, embarrassed that his coach was way overstepping his authority, asked Jimmy when the cameras came to the draft room for the pick to at least chat with him about it so he did look like a wuss. Jimmy did not, he Embarrassed/insubordinate Jerry for the 3rd time in months (Article, Unauthorized trade, refused to talk to him in draft room). 

The next Jimmy Ego move - he told all the coaches on the team that they were not allowed to speak to Jerry or he would fire them. Embarrassment/insubordination #4. 

Rumors started after the *1st* superbowl that Jimmy was considering leaving. That he wanted to go back to Florida. Rumors were that players begged Jimmy to stay, specifically Aikman and Irvin, who loved him.

Jerry goes the news papers and tells Jimmy to "Commit or Quit". Jimmy commits - for the 1993 season.

Cowboys win the 1994 Superbowl. At the owners meeting the Cowboys coaching, scouting and FO staff go out to dinner. Jimmy sets it up. He doesnt invite Jerry; remember - the Owner and GM is not allowed to talk to Coaches or Jimmy will fire them.. Embarrassment/insubordination #5.

Jerry hears about it - shows up to the dinner to give a toast. He asked that the whole team raise their glasses to the wonderful season. Everyone does. Except Jimmy. Embarrassment/insubordination #6.

Jerry leaves the restaurant and goes to hang out with the media. He gets stupid drunk with them. He, very angrily, declares "500 coaches could win a superbowl with this team" - obviously this is the only thing people remember. It was clearly stupid. It took a dysfunctional marriage and put it on train tracks for inevitable divorce. 

Soon after, Jimmy *demands* to be released from his contract. He wanted to quit. Jerry tells him no and tries to talk him out of it.

The second the meeting was over, Jerry calls Barry Switzer (he and Jimmys Arkansas coach). He asked Barry "Would you be HC for the Cowboys" Barry said "Call me if the job opens up"

The next day Jerry meets with Jimmy. Releases him from his contract (lets Jimmy QUIT). Technically the contract is done, they have parted ways. Jerry gives Jimmy a $2m bonus check as a thank you and a way to make amends..

He calls Barry Switzer tells him "The Cowboys HC position is open". Barry immediately accepts - there was never even an interview - and the rest is history.  

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

History lesson time:

Jerry hires Jimmy to a 10 year deal in 1989 because they were buddies/former teammates. Jimmy joins the team fresh off a National Championship. Keep in mind this about Jimmy:

1. He had an extreme knowledge of who in college was good (not uncommon when NCAA HC jump to NFL). Vital to the draft.

2. He had the Nick Saban levels of egomaniac and control freak. 

First couple years go well. They create the trade value chart, sell it as gospel to the NFL and profit. Everyone wants to give 100% of the trade success to Jimmy. He deserved the bulk, but Jerry played a part as well.

In 1991 Jimmy and the Dallas Morning News came out with an article called "Power" discussing who was really in control of the Cowboys. During that draft, Jimmy made a trade with Bill Bellichick without telling or getting approval from his GM. Jerry, embarrassed that his coach was way overstepping his authority, asked Jimmy when the cameras came to the draft room for the pick to at least chat with him about it so he did look like a wuss. Jimmy did not, he Embarrassed/insubordinate Jerry for the 3rd time in months (Article, Unauthorized trade, refused to talk to him in draft room). 

The next Jimmy Ego move - he told all the coaches on the team that they were not allowed to speak to Jerry or he would fire them. Embarrassment/insubordination #4. 

Rumors started after the *1st* superbowl that Jimmy was considering leaving. That he wanted to go back to Florida. Rumors were that players begged Jimmy to stay, specifically Aikman and Irvin, who loved him.

Jerry goes the news papers and tells Jimmy to "Commit or Quit". Jimmy commits - for the 1993 season.

Cowboys win the 1994 Superbowl. At the owners meeting the Cowboys coaching, scouting and FO staff go out to dinner. Jimmy sets it up. He doesnt invite Jerry; remember - the Owner and GM is not allowed to talk to Coaches or Jimmy will fire them.. Embarrassment/insubordination #5.

Jerry hears about it - shows up to the dinner to give a toast. He asked that the whole team raise their glasses to the wonderful season. Everyone does. Except Jimmy. Embarrassment/insubordination #6.

Jerry leaves the restaurant and goes to hang out with the media. He gets stupid drunk with them. He, very angrily, declares "500 coaches could win a superbowl with this team" - obviously this is the only thing people remember. It was clearly stupid. It took a dysfunctional marriage and put it on train tracks for inevitable divorce. 

Soon after, Jimmy *demands* to be released from his contract. He wanted to quit. Jerry tells him no and tries to talk him out of it.

The second the meeting was over, Jerry calls Barry Switzer (he and Jimmys Arkansas coach). He asked Barry "Would you be HC for the Cowboys" Barry said "Call me if the job opens up"

The next day Jerry meets with Jimmy. Releases him from his contract (lets Jimmy QUIT). Technically the contract is done, they have parted ways. Jerry gives Jimmy a $2m bonus check as a thank you and a way to make amends..

He calls Barry Switzer tells him "The Cowboys HC position is open". Barry immediately accepts - there was never even an interview - and the rest is history. 

That's a really unfortunate situation.  It sounds like there was a lot of ego involved on both sides.  In a way, I don't blame Jimmy for thinking very highly of himself and his accomplishments, but at the same time, the owner is the one who ultimately has the right to call the shots and he should have considered Jerry's feelings a lot more than it sounds like he did.  They both made mistakes. 

The hard thing for Jerry is that he is trying to recreate the magic he had back then.  Unfortunately, he was the beneficiary of the Herschel Walker trade, and that's something that is unlikely to ever happen again.  If I'm thinking correctly, that was such a one-sided trade that the league actually changed the rules so teams can't ever dig themselves as big of a hole as the Vikings did.  It seems like Jerry is going to need some luck to get back to the way things were.  He is also going to need to submit his ego for the sake of winning again.  Based on the history you just laid out, I can understand why that might be difficult for him. 

I would normally say that the solution is to get himself a magical quarterback who can give him an edge in the league.  That's probably not going to happen because he will probably sign Dak to a big contract.  From what I saw in the last game against the Vikings, he is probably worth a huge contract.  Even so, I don't think he is quite good enough on his own to elevate the team to where Jerry wants to go, especially without an equally good head coach. 

Is there a coach out there who can make that happen?  Probably.  The thing is that Jerry is going to have to take a leap of faith and relinquish enough control to attract a coach of that caliber.  He is between a rock and a hard place.  For us looking at it from the outside, it's fairly easy to see what needs to be done.  For Jerry, I can now see why he is hesitant to do that after being privately hurt and publicly embarrassed by Jimmy Johnson, a guy who was very good at what he did, but who also should have known that he was Jerry's subordinate.

• Like 1