The Jason Garrett GTFO Thread: He’s Gone

resilient part 2

Will Jason Garrett be fired by next game??  

35 members have voted

1. 1. JG will still be the coach next game?

• no Jerry Jones is finally fed up
    • Yes, thats why Jerry Jones is Jery Jones

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

It absolutely 100% is not "Rods Defense". Rod was a tampa 2 coach. We havent run tampa 2 for years (even before Richard). We run Pete Carrols defense. We just suck at it.

But, Dallas runs a lot of cover 3 too. So now we're back to too many chiefs again.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter what we run though,  single high, cover 3/tampa 2.....we're not good. iirc, it was Sam Darnold and the high powered Jets offense that called out the Dallas D. Something to the effect of they do what they do and do it the same every week or something along those lines. 

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

But, Dallas runs a lot of cover 3 too. So now we're back to too many chiefs again.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter what we run though,  single high, cover 3/tampa 2.....we're not good. iirc, it was Sam Darnold and the high powered Jets offense that called out the Dallas D. Something to the effect of they do what they do and do it the same every week or something along those lines. 

Cover 3 is what Pete Carrols base. With a single high FS (ET3/Woods) and an enforcer (Kam/Heath). WRs protect the boundaries and deep. The LBs cover the flats/mid.

Obviously we play 50% nickle, but the principals are still the same.

9 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

That's a really unfortunate situation.  It sounds like there was a lot of ego involved on both sides.  In a way, I don't blame Jimmy for thinking very highly of himself and his accomplishments, but at the same time, the owner is the one who ultimately has the right to call the shots and he should have considered Jerry's feelings a lot more than it sounds like he did.  They both made mistakes. 

For sure. Egomaniacs that both made mistakes.

The hard thing for Jerry is that he is trying to recreate the magic he had back then.  Unfortunately, he was the beneficiary of the Herschel Walker trade, and that's something that is unlikely to ever happen again.  If I'm thinking correctly, that was such a one-sided trade that the league actually changed the rules so teams can't ever dig themselves as big of a hole as the Vikings did.  It seems like Jerry is going to need some luck to get back to the way things were.  He is also going to need to submit his ego for the sake of winning again.  Based on the history you just laid out, I can understand why that might be difficult for him. 

He actually has hired 2 other "Jimmy-type guys". Switzer, who won a superbowl. Parcells, who laid the foundation for some very good players (Romo, Ware). With Garrett, he was basically talked out of being GM. SJ does all the player stuff. Will McClay does all drafting. So he has checked his ego for the most part, though he still loves speaking to the media. 

I think this next hire will be very telling. If its true that he is going hard after Lincoln Riley, it will show his commitment to winning.

I would normally say that the solution is to get himself a magical quarterback who can give him an edge in the league.  That's probably not going to happen because he will probably sign Dak to a big contract.  From what I saw in the last game against the Vikings, he is probably worth a huge contract.  Even so, I don't think he is quite good enough on his own to elevate the team to where Jerry wants to go, especially without an equally good head coach. 

Daks not the problem. Never has been.

Is there a coach out there who can make that happen?  Probably.  The thing is that Jerry is going to have to take a leap of faith and relinquish enough control to attract a coach of that caliber.  He is between a rock and a hard place.  For us looking at it from the outside, it's fairly easy to see what needs to be done.  For Jerry, I can now see why he is hesitant to do that after being privately hurt and publicly embarrassed by Jimmy Johnson, a guy who was very good at what he did, but who also should have known that he was Jerry's subordinate.

LIS above, Jerry has ceded a lot of power. He has targeted big name people. And, in his eyes at least, Garrett was also one. People forget that Garrett was a "McVay-type" a decade ago. Jerry had to make him the highest paid OC in NFL history so that the Ravens couldnt hire him (they settled for Harbaugh). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Did you read the post? Tell me Jimmy isnt *at least* 50% at fault.

Jimmy has an ego. No one has ever said otherwise, but do you see Robert Kraft trying to take credit for what BB has done in NE? No, cause the credit is Bill's and Bill's alone. 

I remember the fallout and many rumours of Jimmy leaking things to the media to poke fun at Jerry about. But Jerry has proved time and time again that he is not a football guy, he never had the mind for it and he still wanted to take credit for things he was just along for the ride with. 

You can put on Jimmy all you want too Matts, but in the 26 years since then it only proved his point with each passing year. I understand completely Jimmy getting pissed off with Jerry encroaching where he didnt belong. 

Not sure if you can relate to Jimmy at all Matts, but being a football guy myself and a hardworker I've had bosses take credit for thing's I have done and pass it off as their own and I've had some coat tail it when they couldn't claim credit but still said "yea but it was my idea and I help directed it". 

It's bullsh!t, Jimmy was well within his rights to give Jerry the finger.

6 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Jimmy has an ego. No one has ever said otherwise, but do you see Robert Kraft trying to take credit for what BB has done in NE? No, cause the credit is Bill's and Bill's alone. 

I remember the fallout and many rumours of Jimmy leaking things to the media to poke fun at Jerry about. But Jerry has proved time and time again that he is not a football guy, he never had the mind for it and he still wanted to take credit for things he was just along for the ride with. 

You can put on Jimmy all you want too Matts, but in the 26 years since then it only proved his point with each passing year. I understand completely Jimmy getting pissed off with Jerry encroaching where he didnt belong. 

Not sure if you can relate to Jimmy at all Matts, but being a football guy myself and a hardworker I've had bosses take credit for thing's I have done and pass it off as their own and I've had some coat tail it when they couldn't claim credit but still said "yea but it was my idea and I help directed it". 

It's bullsh!t, Jimmy was well within his rights to give Jerry the finger.

Oh. So you didnt address a single point I said and just made excuses. Got it. 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Harbaugh is the only person I can think of that would be considered "bigger" than Riley. 

who am I missing?

Sean Payton is the first guy I thought of. 

The only other bigger names I can think of are Saban, Swinney (?), Belichick, and Carroll.  

Edited by WizardHawk
  • Like 2