The Jason Garrett GTFO Thread: He’s Gone

resilient part 2

Will Jason Garrett be fired by next game??  

35 members have voted

1. 1. JG will still be the coach next game?

• no Jerry Jones is finally fed up
    • Yes, thats why Jerry Jones is Jery Jones

14 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I dont think he is a viable coaching candidate. 

My point was, this is a "Bigger Fish" that I could see Jerry wanting (mainly because he is an idiot) if Stephen doesnt get involved.

I think the only person Jerry loves more than Garrett is Romo. Romo is the flashy announcer and someone that Jerry would brag about how smart he was for taking a chance on him if it worked out.

The “Big Fish” candidates would likely be (in no particular order):

Without Requiring Draft Equity:

Lincoln Riley

Urban Meyer

Jim Harbaugh

Josh McDaniels

Requiring Draft Equity:

Sean Payton

I don’t consider guys like Belichick, Pete Carroll, etc. “viable” because the likelihood of us going after them is basically zero.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

The Cowboys were Jimmy's team and Jerry wanted the credit for it being his success, not Jimmy's. 

lol. Now the factual side of it:

The Cowboys were Jerrys team, as the owner. Jerry wanted wanted proper credit for what he was successful for. Jimmy was an egomaniac who antagonized, undermined and was insubordinate to his boss. Also, he was already threatening to quit. 

You asked me about that earlier. Yes, I have seen plenty of high caliber employees be fired for creating hostile work environments.  

Its like you have some personal vendetta against Jerry that doesnt allow you recognize that Jimmy played a *HUGE* part in their demise. At worst it was 50/50.

53 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:
2 hours ago, CAPJ said:

Bigger Fish" than Riley to us could be Harbaugh, Saban, Belichick, Payton Meyer, etc.

But does that mean the same to Jerry? I think this comes down to how much Stephen is involved. I believe Jerry wants to make a splash play.

Darkhorses:

Witten - Their were rumors I believe last year, that Witten was rumored to be added to the coaching staff.

Tony Romo: This could be Jerry's splash play and a chance to help get Romo his ring.

Mike Tomlin: Lots of rumours of him being let go by Pitt.

None of the dark horses are viable. People need to stop thinking that Romo is a coaching candidate. No person should ever be made a head coach without any previous coaching experience.

With the nepotism in football, I could easily see Witten being our TE coach. 

I joked in another thread about trading for Gruden, but really, this team is gonna need its full bevy of draft picks going forward

2020 UFAs that have play at least 200 snaps for Dallas this season (ordered by snap count)

Dak Prescott

Byron Jones

Jeff Heath

Jason Witten

Maliek Collins

Amari Cooper

Randall Cobb

Robert Quinn

Sean Lee

Darian Thompson

Christian Covington

Joe Thomas

Kerry Hyder

Anthony Brown

Tavon Austin

Bennett is also at 181 in 5 games. This team’s defensive depth is about to get ravaged.

Edited by matt79511
Forgot Quinn

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

Dak Prescott

Byron Jones

Jeff Heath

Jason Witten

Maliek Collins

Amari Cooper

Randall Cobb

Sean Lee

Darian Thompson

Christian Covington

Joe Thomas

Kerry Hyder

Anthony Brown

Tavon Austin

Bennett

We have ~$85m in cap space to resign the bold. With the money left over, we resign the italics or a competing FA. 

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

We have ~$85m in cap space to resign the bold. With the money left over, we resign the italics or a competing FA. 

Well it costs almost $50M to tag Dak and Amari. If we can get those deals done before FA I’ll be more optimistic but I don’t think we’re close. I also forgot Quinn who’s pretty significant.

I fully expect to lose Byron, one of Quinn and Bennett, and most of the high-end backup/low-end starter types. Who I don’t expect to see in a different uniform are Heath and Witten.

Beyond all the names though, at what point do we decide not to go into the year with 8 figures of unused cap space? We going all-in with a first year HC? It’s hard to expect much deviation from the norm when nothing’s changing at the top.

Edited by matt79511

12 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Well it costs almost $50M to tag Dak and Amari. If we can get those deals done before FA I’ll be more optimistic but I don’t think we’re close. I also forgot Quinn who’s pretty significant.

We can only tag one of them. And I dont think either gets tagged, tbh. Once the dust settles we will sign them. There is no reason to tag. This isnt a D-Law/Spencer scenario where we needed more proof. 

I fully expect to lose Byron, one of Quinn and Bennett, and most of the high-end backup/low-end starter types. Who I don’t expect to see in a different uniform are Heath and Witten.

Quinn and Bennett have been relatively cheap on their last 2 contacts. What make you think they will suddenly command top dollar? 

Beyond all the names though, at what point do we decide not to go into the year with 8 figures of unused cap space? We going all-in with a first year HC? It’s hard to expect much deviation from the norm when nothing’s changing at the top.

I think between Superbowl - Mid-March (new league year). By that time we will have a new coach, he will have time to meet with our current staff (FO, Scouts), give a plan on who he wants to keep... and the signings will happen. 

3 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Walsh didnt think he would win again and according to many was burnt out by coaching.

Parcells was due to heart problems or something.

Both were burned out and so was Vermeil. According to several players on the Cowboys Jimmy was also. He was ranting and raving almost as bad as Ditka.  Don't believe me? FF to the 40:00 point and listen to the man himself:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

We can only tag one of them. And I dont think either gets tagged, tbh. Once the dust settles we will sign them. There is no reason to tag. This isnt a D-Law/Spencer scenario where we needed more proof. 

Quinn and Bennett have been relatively cheap on their last 2 contacts. What make you think they will suddenly command top dollar? 

Well, we’ll see on the tags, I guess. That’s an incredible position of power for the player, though, finalizing the deal right before the start of FA. That’s how you end up paying them $60M/yr combined. I think it’s pretty clear that Stephen cherishes his negotiation wins. 

I guess I shouldn’t group Quinn and Bennett together just because they’re veterans. Bennett I agree shouldn’t cost much, but just feels like a rental. Quinn I do think is gonna go for quite a lot on the open market, he’s been a revelation.