My 2020 Bears Goals

WindyCity

My 2020 Bears Goals

Go Back to 101

I am starting to come around to the idea that Nagy pushed everyone to 202 when no on on offense was ready for it. Go back and master 101 and do not move to 202 until you have the personnel [OL and TE] and the command of 101 [QB, WR] to actually do it. As a teacher I have had this feeling many times, I want to teach something, but the class is not ready for it and we crash and burn.

-The coaches clearly were not ready for it as their are constant substitution and play clock issues.
-The OL was not ready for it as they have struggled with protections and the demands of the run game.
-The TEs are an abysmal and pathetic group talent and toughness wise so not much to say here.
-The WRs cannot get lined up, have run a ton of wrong routes, run into each other on a bunch, and dropped a ton of passes
-The QB has been a mental mess because of it

Good, Average, and Solid are not longer adjectives we use for the OL.

The OL has been a massive disappointment and it is not shocking that the offense has suffered with it. The pass blocking has improved, but the run blocking has stayed bad. The line lacks athletic ability to run the zone [Massie, Coward] and lacks toughness to really dig people out in other areas [Leno, Daniels]. Mitch is not an elite QB, he is not going to be an elite QB, the line needs to be the centerpiece of the offense. Look at what Jimmy G, Dak, Lamar, are doing behind dominant lines. This is the great equalizer.

Re-Do the TE room

It is a pathetic position group. The Shaheen defenders we needed to deal with before the season have all but disappeared at this point and Burton is a bust of a free agent signing. The TE is a huge part of the run game and the pass blocking and if the QB has limitations then you cannot have a black hole of talent on the offense that is a liability to him.

Treat Trubisky like who he is.

He is not a polished pocket passer, he is not an elite QB, he is a flawed QB who has some skills that you can win with if you are able to manage his flaws. Trubisky is a Kirk Cousins, Jimmy G, type QB, which sucks because he was the 2nd pick in the draft, but it is time to operate in reality. He needs to be supported by the play calling. He needs to be supported by the talent on offense, and for the love of God please stop asking him to drop back, with no play action, and throw the ball a ton. The Vikings are going to roll into the playoffs because they have been able to hide Cousins' flaws and he is having a great season, do that.

-More play action
-More moving pockets
-Better OL play
-More designed runs
-More forced shots downfield

I have no idea what they are going to do about veteran competition. I want someone to push 10 and that they can go to if he sucks again, but I also do not want to make a huge investment that costs me a chance to bring in a stud RG or TE.

Make the hard decisions on defense

It is probably time we talk about keeping Kwitkowski and letting Trevathan walk. Kwit has been very good since stepping in and seems to have taken a huge step in coverage. He is young, healthier, and cheaper than Trevathan and it seems that Roquan has come alive with a larger role.

I think Ha Ha has had a really good season, but they cannot afford to tie up that much money at S, because as bad a year as Jackson is having you are going to pay him in 2020 or 2021.

Prince is just not worth 9 million and they need to shift that money onto the offense or to Jackson.

• Like 2

Watching the game last night, Mitch has a shot to be decent if we protect him. We really need to invest in BPA with the OL and really build this unit up to be the strength of the team. The second biggest priority is TE followed by OLB.

I agree - Danny is a good player but we can't afford him. We need an elite draft next year to be back in the playoffs.

8 hours ago, Nads786 said:

Watching the game last night, Mitch has a shot to be decent if we protect him. We really need to invest in BPA with the OL and really build this unit up to be the strength of the team. The second biggest priority is TE followed by OLB.

I agree - Danny is a good player but we can't afford him. We need an elite draft next year to be back in the playoffs.

Decent can work for 2020, but no way in hell is that worth the huge deal Mitch would want for his 2nd contract. 

As a starter he is too volatile to me. 

22 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Decent can work for 2020, but no way in hell is that worth the huge deal Mitch would want for his 2nd contract. 

As a starter he is too volatile to me. 

But can we calm some volatility by asking him to do less and protect him better.

Regardless if Mitch is the QB in 2021 or a rookie draft pick, dominant line play will be essential.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

But can we calm some volatility by asking him to do less and protect him better.

Regardless if Mitch is the QB in 2021 or a rookie draft pick, dominant line play will be essential.

I agree completely, but context is important was all I was speaking about. Even if the OL improves then Mitch will be the limiting factor on the offense IMO. I want to get the team around the QB stocked with talent for the next kid.

I'd be happy with one FA and 2 of our top 3 picks being on the OL.

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:
I think Ha Ha has had a really good season, but they cannot afford to tie up that much money at S, because as bad a year as Jackson is having you are going to pay him in 2020 or 2021.

If Pace is still around, and gives Jackson a massive contract this off-season, I will immediately become the loudest, strongest advocate that Pace needs to be fired. 

Clinton-Dix, at this point, is more important to the Bears defense, by an exponential margin. Jackson has a lot to prove next year...if he's even still on the team. Hopefully, with all that reality in mind, something can be worked out to keep them both. Provided that makes sense. 

Edited by Heinz D.

13 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

If Pace is still around, and gives Jackson a massive contract this off-season, I will immediately become the loudest, strongest advocate that Pace needs to be fired. 

Clinton-Dix, at this point, is more important to the Bears defense, by an exponential margin. Jackson has a lot to prove next year...if he's even still on the team. Hopefully, with all that reality in mind, something can be worked out to keep them both. Provided that makes sense. 

Why would Eddie Jackson not be on the team? xD

There's no question he hasn't been taking the ball away this year, but he's also playing in the box muuuch more than he ever has. HHCD is also not more important.

I wouldn't give him 70-80 million yet, but to question if he'll be on the team is laughable.

Edited by beardown3231

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I wouldn't give him 70-80 million yet, but to question if he'll be on the team is laughable.

What if they decide to pay Dix instead? Trade Jackson? Not inconceivable. What if someone beats him out? Hardly a stretch, unless he starts playing better. 

Edited by Heinz D.

9 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

What if they decide to pay Dix instead? Trade Jackson? Not inconceivable. What if someone beats him out? Hardly a stretch, unless he starts playing better. 

It's a stretch. I was hard on him through the Rams game but when I saw the percentages of him playing in the box much more, it's hard to blame him for a lack of takeaways.

Trading him is a possibility I guess, but no one is beating him out for the FS spot. They'd be foolish to use a draft pick on a FS anyway.

What the heck is going on in here?  My thanksgiving was a sober one, but it seems like guys dug into the thujone or something?  The Bears would be crazy to let Eddie walk. I thought the "trade Mack now!" stuff was insane.  This is between that idea and the "Bears should get Eli Manning" stuff from the trade deadline. 

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking to take medicine, deep in your hearts you all know we're building the team around Rosen next year.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

What the heck is going on in here?  

Pretty simple, really. A guy who we expected, NOT "hoped", would be playing at a Pro Bowl level, or damn close to that, is playing like a replacement level safety, or maybe worse. Anybody who bothers to watch games and assess this guy's performance in a realistic manner would agree with that. 

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

It's a stretch. I was hard on him through the Rams game but when I saw the percentages of him playing in the box much more, it's hard to blame him for a lack of takeaways.

Trading him is a possibility I guess, but no one is beating him out for the FS spot. They'd be foolish to use a draft pick on a FS anyway.

Bush would be better taking the field instead, right now. And that's a player currently on the Bears' roster. Also--I'm not blaming Jackson for a lack of takeaways. I even made a clear effort to explain that earlier. I'm blaming Jackson for playing like crap. Trubisky has played better, and almost everybody on this board was calling for HIS head. 

5 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking to take medicine, deep in your hearts you all know we're building the team around Rosen next year.

I'm still not convinced Rosen is a bust. In fact, the way he's held his head up under absolutely horrible circumstances gives me hope he'll succeed some day. 

Graziano from ESPN, on Get Up! said that his sources indicated the Bears were leaning towards bringing in veteran competition for Trubisky, if the last four games don't go well. So...Mariotta, Dalton, etc. Dudes we've been discussing here. Hope he's wrong about that. I'd rather it would be Rosen, or a rookie, pushing Mitch. And I'd rather Mitch be jettisoned if the last four games don't go well...

Edited by Heinz D.

30 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Jackson's playing out of his comfort zone and has actually been better tackling than he ever has. I haven't missed a second of Bears football this year and I can say for a FACT that I'm not sure how anyone can say Deon Bush would serve this defense better.

But ...

9 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

7 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

There was a time where Dix struggled and teams couldn't wait to let him go. The Bears would be better off getting another safety who would allow Jackson to be used more like he was in 2017 and 2018. Jackson at his best is still better then Dix.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

But ...

Right. Just because I wouldn't give him 70-80 million doesn't mean Deon Bush is better. Do you really think those two go hand in hand? I'd let Jackson play out next year and see what happens. If he has another 1-2 INT year, no one will be giving him a ton of money and he can probably be retained for ~10 million a year.

I'm not sure what this fan base sees in Deon Bush. There's a reason as a 4th round pick that he's never been given a real chance especially when one was staring them right in the face with Amos leaving in the spring. Then again, this is the Bears fan base which always loves the back up. Where's @Damikeeeee to lay into Bush when I need him most?

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1