Thoughts and Observations: Lions II

WindyCity

Offense

-I thought that Nagy called a batter game offensively. They stayed more committed to the run. Limited the amount of motion and "misdirection". They picked on a matchup they were winning. His redzone play calls were much better than that roll out garbage we saw last week. But, damn it man can we stop with the cluster **** on offense when it comes to getting subs and lined up. You have  a QB who is struggling and we are constantly running guys on to the field, lining up wrong, taking delay of games because the play is coming in late. Does anyone, coaches included, understand 202?

-Mitch was good. The scramble was bad. The pick he threw the ball too late, but other than that he was good. He used his feet to make plays and move, he took 2 wicked shots and kept going, and most important he made big boy plays when the game was on the line. The throws to Miller were dimes. The TD to Montgomery showed great patience to wait for him to cross and the LB to get caught in the wash. Good game, I hope this is a confidence boost.

-David Montgomery looked good. He was more decisive through the hole and more violent in his runs. He has been dancing too much, partly because the blocking was bad, but today he was getting through the line before a move was made and there were less negative runs because of it.

-I am thrilled that Mitch and Anthony Miller had a big day. I am hoping that it means that he is quicker and more confident to move off of Robinson. Miller manhandled one of the better slot CBs in the league.

-Robinson has been a stud all season, but the drops in the last few weeks are killing me. His work in the middle of the field is really impressive. He is so smart and just murders zone defenses.

-I do not need to see Drops Gabriel anymore.

-Javon Wims is not fast. But he is huge, runs decent routes, and catches the ball consistently. Being huge and having good hands is not the worse thing in the world when you have a less than pin point QB. The blocking fouls were frustrating, but he has played so little he needs some time to adjust to the angles and the calls.

-Jesper Horsted may be something. He is clearly a good athlete, we saw that in the preseason, but his hands are really good. That TD catch was not easy, and another dime from Mitch, we need a U TE to step up so that we do not need to re make the entire unit in the offseason.

-The offense seems better with less Tarik Cohe. It is weird to say, but it seems better when we have Montgomery and the legit WRs on the field. He also continues to be clueless on PRs. He was a guy who I thought would be a must extend, but if I am Pace the check book is staying in the pocket.

-Leno is not bad. But he is so painfully average and a penalty machine that he needs serious 2nd round competition. When I saw that average and solid are not good enough anymore on the OL, I am talking about Leno.

-Did not miss Bobbie Massie at all.

-Coward is proving that he is an intriguing backup and maybe something down the road, but we need a better RG.

-I thought Daniels and Whitehair were better and we saw better double teams and work to the second level, but I will go back and watch it to make sure.
  • Like 1

Defense

-The pass rush is a massive disappointment. RRH has not kept up his hot start, Nichols has not been the same flash player he was last season, Goldman is clearly hurt, and Williams continues to be solid. The Bears need more from the down lineman.

-Goldman is not himself. The quad injury must be worse than they are saying because we do not see any of the dynamic sliding down the line tackles we normally see in the run game.

-I really do not know what to do with Leonard Floyd. He is a consistently good player in the run game and in coverage. He is maddeningly inconsistent as a pass rusher. He has some rushes where you see the freak athlete. He has long stretches where the OT just disappears him. My guess is he will be here in 2020, but the Bears need to add some young rushers.

-Lynch and Irving might as well be pylons on the field.

-Roquan Smith was a star yesterday and seems to be filling the leadership void left by Trevathan. He was constantly talking and correcting things. He is a devastating blitzer. His second burst acceleration is very impressive.

-Kwik might be permanently taking Trevathan's job. He is younger, healthier, and cheaper. He also appears to have fixed his biggest issue which was man coverage. He has made a number of nice plays in man coverage.

-Prince is not worth 9 million in 2020. It might be time to sprinkle in some Tolliver just to get him a couple more reps.

-Eddie Jackson picking off the desperation heave at the end was more important that sealing the game, I doubt that was getting completed. But he has had a very flat year and has been pressing lately and hopefully that is the spark that gets him going.

-Ha Ha is a good player, he is going to get paid by someone.

-Skrine had a rough one.

-Fuller is the one true gift of Phil Emery before he burnt the franchise to the ground.
  • Like 2

I didn't see Lucas our latest RT really make a ton of mistakes. Gone are the days of free rushers coming to the QB. The line overall played one of their better games of the year. The Cowboys next week will provide us a dose of reality.

Are these guys for real or not?

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Offense

-I thought that Nagy called a batter game offensively. They stayed more committed to the run. Limited the amount of motion and "misdirection". They picked on a matchup they were winning. His redzone play calls were much better than that roll out garbage we saw last week. But, damn it man can we stop with the cluster **** on offense when it comes to getting subs and lined up. You have  a QB who is struggling and we are constantly running guys on to the field, lining up wrong, taking delay of games because the play is coming in late. Does anyone, coaches included, understand 202?

Agreed.

-Mitch was good. The scramble was bad. The pick he threw the ball too late, but other than that he was good. He used his feet to make plays and move, he took 2 wicked shots and kept going, and most important he made big boy plays when the game was on the line. The throws to Miller were dimes. The TD to Montgomery showed great patience to wait for him to cross and the LB to get caught in the wash. Good game, I hope this is a confidence boost.

Agreed.

-David Montgomery looked good. He was more decisive through the hole and more violent in his runs. He has been dancing too much, partly because the blocking was bad, but today he was getting through the line before a move was made and there were less negative runs because of it.

Agreed.

-I am thrilled that Mitch and Anthony Miller had a big day. I am hoping that it means that he is quicker and more confident to move off of Robinson. Miller manhandled one of the better slot CBs in the league.

Agreed.

-Robinson has been a stud all season, but the drops in the last few weeks are killing me. His work in the middle of the field is really impressive. He is so smart and just murders zone defenses.

Agreed.  

-I do not need to see Drops Gabriel anymore.

I think he his better than this, just a down year.  Like Daniels on OL.  But he is nothing special.  I can take him or leave him whenever.  

-Javon Wims is not fast. But he is huge, runs decent routes, and catches the ball consistently. Being huge and having good hands is not the worse thing in the world when you have a less than pin point QB. The blocking fouls were frustrating, but he has played so little he needs some time to adjust to the angles and the calls.

I agree.  …. But if I was DC and line up was Robinson, Miller and Wims  all my DBs would be within 2-8 yards of LOS.

-Jesper Horsted may be something. He is clearly a good athlete, we saw that in the preseason, but his hands are really good. That TD catch was not easy, and another dime from Mitch, we need a U TE to step up so that we do not need to re make the entire unit in the offseason.

Been wanting to see him since pre season.  A tweener, but clearly talented if you can figure out right way to use him.  

-The offense seems better with less Tarik Cohe. It is weird to say, but it seems better when we have Montgomery and the legit WRs on the field. He also continues to be clueless on PRs. He was a guy who I thought would be a must extend, but if I am Pace the check book is staying in the pocket.

I think Cohen is having a down year.  But he is better as a change of pace player rather than an every down player.  

-Leno is not bad. But he is so painfully average and a penalty machine that he needs serious 2nd round competition. When I saw that average and solid are not good enough anymore on the OL, I am talking about Leno.

Leno has always been definition of average, but this year is worst he has ever played in NFL.   I wonder once they are mathematically eliminated if they shouldn't give Bars some reps.  At least give him reps at whatever position you envision him at.   

-Did not miss Bobbie Massie at all.

Massie has been worse, at his worst he was a swinging door.  But he has not been good this year.   

-Coward is proving that he is an intriguing backup and maybe something down the road, but we need a better RG.

He is still in project mode.  I also strongly suspect he didn't prepare well enough this off season.  He did not look in shape in camp.  

-I thought Daniels and Whitehair were better and we saw better double teams and work to the second level, but I will go back and watch it to make sure.

These are our two most talented OLmen.   Hopefully they come back next year and show it and close the year in much improved fashion.  

40 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I didn't see Lucas our latest RT really make a ton of mistakes. Gone are the days of free rushers coming to the QB. The line overall played one of their better games of the year. The Cowboys next week will provide us a dose of reality.

Are these guys for real or not?

What guys?  Cowboys or Bears?  I think both answers are no.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:
Defense

-The pass rush is a massive disappointment. RRH has not kept up his hot start, Nichols has not been the same flash player he was last season, Goldman is clearly hurt, and Williams continues to be solid. The Bears need more from the down lineman.

The injuries and offensive play that forced so many reps without depth have really hurt the unit this year.  Bears dropped ball here trying to carry 15 TEs on active roster instead of bringing some DL to rotate.  

-Goldman is not himself. The quad injury must be worse than they are saying because we do not see any of the dynamic sliding down the line tackles we normally see in the run game.

He has had to be a near one man band and play a lot.  All while hurting.   

-I really do not know what to do with Leonard Floyd. He is a consistently good player in the run game and in coverage. He is maddeningly inconsistent as a pass rusher. He has some rushes where you see the freak athlete. He has long stretches where the OT just disappears him. My guess is he will be here in 2020, but the Bears need to add some young rushers.

A too skinny tweener.  

-Lynch and Irving might as well be pylons on the field.

Seems to always be the case.  It hasn't changed since pre season or last year.   I don't know why they didn't give other guys more of a chance.  

-Roquan Smith was a star yesterday and seems to be filling the leadership void left by Trevathan. He was constantly talking and correcting things. He is a devastating blitzer. His second burst acceleration is very impressive.

I don't understand from time he was drafted why he isn't blitzed more.  

-Kwik might be permanently taking Trevathan's job. He is younger, healthier, and cheaper. He also appears to have fixed his biggest issue which was man coverage. He has made a number of nice plays in man coverage.

He has really stepped up his game from being a near total bum last year and in pre season.  He made most of opportunity.   

-Prince is not worth 9 million in 2020. It might be time to sprinkle in some Tolliver just to get him a couple more reps.

Yes.  Agreed.  

-Eddie Jackson picking off the desperation heave at the end was more important that sealing the game, I doubt that was getting completed. But he has had a very flat year and has been pressing lately and hopefully that is the spark that gets him going.

I think he was dreaming of a big extension.   

-Ha Ha is a good player, he is going to get paid by someone.

Been real good IMO.   

-Skrine had a rough one.

He did, but he has also been real good this year overall.  He is better than I thought he was.    

-Fuller is the one true gift of Phil Emery before he burnt the franchise to the ground.

Nice surprise given how he was looking to be a bust for awhile.  

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:
-The offense seems better with less Tarik Cohen. It is weird to say, but it seems better when we have Montgomery and the legit WRs on the field. He also continues to be clueless on PRs. He was a guy who I thought would be a must extend, but if I am Pace the check book is staying in the pocket.

He didn't do much last year. He's been even worse this year. I think that a big part of it is that defenses have figured out his tendency to panic and go east-west instead of using his head and trying to make some sort of positive play. Why he continues to be so freakin' lost in the return game is a big mystery.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Eddie Jackson has been consistently bad this year. Think about it. A guy whose absence went a long way towards keeping us out of the NFC Championship Game in 2018 to what we have now--which is a nearly constant liability on the field. I think your description of his play as "very flat" is being generous. Jackson has, really, been the biggest disappointment this season, even bigger than Trubisky. And I'm not talking the lack of pick six interceptions, either. It was unlikely he could do that year in, year out anyway. He's playing soft, seems to have developed an allergic reaction to tackling, and rarely seems to be in position. 

One of the Bears' main problems overall seems to be a mindset that they can simply show up and win. That's the coaches fault, of course, but Jackson seems to be the biggest poster boy for lack of effort and concentration. 

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

What guys?  Cowboys or Bears?  I think both answers are no.

The Bears offense. The Cowboys have great individual units ( #1 ranked O, #6 ranked D) they just can’t execute at a team level. 

if the bears can score 20 points on them I’ll be impressed.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Looks like my memory served me incorrectly. He's 2nd in yards and 3rd in average return.

That probably means he was in first at some point recently, and you were just off by a couple weeks. And there's no denying he HAS had some good returns...

On 11/30/2019 at 4:44 AM, malagabears said:

My observation  after re-watching the 2nd half. I think next year our WR core could be really good with Robinson, Wims, and a focused Miller. That's all I got for now.

Don't forget about Ridley.  The kid can play too he just needs an opportunity.

I think Gabriel is a goner next year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Don't forget about Ridley.  The kid can play too he just needs an opportunity.

I think Gabriel is a goner next year.

Yeah same. Now he's on his second concussion of the season, I'd rather sit him the rest of the way and play Wims. Plus that'd mean Ridley's active for the final four games.