GDT: Raiders vs Jets!

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

But you steamroll, have your way and stomp bad defenses, which are all things people have said. What you just said does makes sense though. If we can control the time of possession and wear out their defense the game should become easier in the later end.

I never said at any point that they do not have some really good defensive players. But I still think we need to steamroll them to show out as the Super Bowl contender we expect to be. You can get 30-40 points without demolishing their defense completely. Crisp offensive execution. Fortuitous field position. Defensive TD, special teams touchdown, it can happen many ways. In my mind to inherit our potential and hype we need to win and win handily. Many thought of the Colts of last year as a pretty good team. And we were crushing them before Carr got hurt. This team needs to get back on that horse, especially against a team like the Jets. Which despite their defense, is a bad team. 

bottom line is that if we are who the majority of us think we are, a Super Bowl contender, we put this team away. Good teams beat bad teams, simple as that. Pretenders drop games like these. Come in focused, handle business and get on to week 3.

10 minutes ago, holyghost said:

I never said at any point that they do not have some really good defensive players. But I still think we need to steamroll them to show out as the Super Bowl contender we expect to be. You can get 30-40 points without demolishing their defense completely. Crisp offensive execution. Fortuitous field position. Defensive TD, special teams touchdown, it can happen many ways. In my mind to inherit our potential and hype we need to win and win handily. Many thought of the Colts of last year as a pretty good team. And we were crushing them before Carr got hurt. This team needs to get back on that horse, especially against a team like the Jets. Which despite their defense, is a bad team. 

I know you didn't say that. I was speaking to several posters indirectly.

That is your opinion and I respect it. I just think it's won't necessarily turn out that way and that not winning by a ton or crushing them won't be a knock on our chance or rep as playoff or Super Bowl contenders.

There's no assurance at all that it will happen, no doubt. And it is not a direct knock on us if we win by 1 point. A win is a win regardless. But if we do win by 1 I think we'll all see during the game quite a few flaws in our Super Bowl theory. If we win by 30, we''re looking to be in the shape we all want to see to match the hype and continue on a trajectory where we are a contender and not showing the ongoing signs of a pretender. As an example, NE has won alot of SBs. The Jets are the type of team that they would dispatch mercilessly and with regularity. Like clockwork. That's not only a contender, but the top dog. 

So it kinda does knock our chances. If we win by 1, it's not about the result. It's the disappointing and/or disconcerting things we would see happen during the 3 hours of the game to get the team to that less than stellar result. The plays that create the result. Those are the kind of small errors and flaws that come due playoff time, without exception. We'd have 14 more games to grow out of it, but now we're talking about hopes and prayers rather than evident progress. 

51 minutes ago, holyghost said:

We'd have 14 more games to grow out of it, but now we're talking about hopes and prayers rather than evident progress. 

Yes, it would be nice to beat the teams handily that are perceived to be the weaker and play the stronger perceived teams tough. That is obvious. My entire point in this whole thing is that I don't think the Jets defense will play like that weaker team. All the rest of that stuff is meaningless until week 17. We could make a statement vs the Jets but then stumble vs 5-6 other teams and still miss the playoffs.

16 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

The last time I checked you can still make the playoffs with one lose but I understand what you mean in the overall sense of the statement. You guys can think what you want, I just know it won't be as easy as some are making it out to be.

The last time I checked this is the easiest game in our schedule, so if we wanna be successfull we need this. Simple as that.

2 hours ago, Rolni said:

The last time I checked this is the easiest game in our schedule, so if we wanna be successfull we need this. Simple as that.

How do you know that?

It's week 2 and teams change over the course of the season.

Look. I understand what everyone is saying.

I even agree to a degree.

I'm just not looking past this game. Not taking this team for granted. And not counting my eggs before they hatch, sort of speak.

I'm also prepared if the NFL gods decide to be cruel...it won't be the end of the world or our season.

11 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

How do you know that?

It's week 2 and teams change over the course of the season.

Look. I understand what everyone is saying.

I even agree to a degree.

I'm just not looking past this game. Not taking this team for granted. And not counting my eggs before they hatch, sort of speak.

I'm also prepared if the NFL gods decide to be cruel...it won't be the end of the world or our season.

I think we pretty much agree...

Based on their roster, QB situation and coaching staff this Jets team looks like the/one of the weakest team(s). 

So we should beat them. 

In the NFL you can never overlook an opponent for sure.

They have to prepare well and play hard for 4qtr's. If they do that they should get the W. 

That's it.

We need as many W's before the October games as we can in order to stay in the PO race.

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

I think we pretty much agree...

Based on their roster, QB situation and coaching staff this Jets team looks like the/one of the weakest team(s). 

So we should beat them. 

In the NFL you can never overlook an opponent for sure.

They have to prepare well and play hard for 4qtr's. If they do that they should get the W. 

That's it.

We need as many W's before the October games as we can in order to stay in the PO race.

Mid-November through December is when it really gets tough.  That's when we're all going to find out what this team is really made of.  We're literally facing a potential 6 playoff teams in a row.

23 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I'm telling you people that the Jets defense isn't terrible. They did struggle vs the Bills solid oline and rushing attack of McCoy, Taylor and Tolbert. We should be able to attack them the same way but this is the NFL and they should be keying on that as well.

Curious... did you watch the Jets/Bills game? I never get to high/low off week 1, but Taylor moved the ball up and down the field on them with ease. He threw an INT in the end zone and had some other drives stall out. The game was a lot worse for the Jets than the 9 point margin in the box score indicated. 

20 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I know you didn't say that. I was speaking to several posters indirectly.

That is your opinion and I respect it. I just think it's won't necessarily turn out that way and that not winning by a ton or crushing them won't be a knock on our chance or rep as playoff or Super Bowl contenders.

Contenders win games in Nov. and Dec. Crushing the Jets, or not in week 2 shouldn't be a barometer of anything moving forward. 

6 hours ago, Rolni said:

They will take care of business.... so no worries. Home opener, Marshawn, etc. They are going to show out. But they don't "need" this to be successful. Winning division games are what they need to do to be successful. 

39 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

They will take care of business.... so no worries. Home opener, Marshawn, etc. They are going to show out. But they don't "need" this to be successful. Winning division games are what they need to do to be successful. 

Whilst I think we win handily, this forum definitely NEEDS the win, can you imagine the carnage around here if we lose to the lowly Jets?

52 minutes ago, big_palooka said:
 23 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I'm telling you people that the Jets defense isn't terrible. They did struggle vs the Bills solid oline and rushing attack of McCoy, Taylor and Tolbert. We should be able to attack them the same way but this is the NFL and they should be keying on that as well.

53 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Curious... did you watch the Jets/Bills game? I never get to high/low off week 1, but Taylor moved the ball up and down the field on them with ease. He threw an INT in the end zone and had some other drives stall out. The game was a lot worse for the Jets than the 9 point margin in the box score indicated. 

Yes, I did. Well, I watched most of it. I saw a unit that just didn't execute well in a few areas and were playing vs a offense that is pretty unique in the league in that it is built around 3 unique players: Taylor, McCoy and Clay.

I could write up a huge post about why those guys together create such a challenge for defenses but it comes down to you can't stop one without letting another get loose.

While I praise our offense and think that we can do some things Bills did similarly to create opportunities for our playmakers, I also think the compounded effect of us being a more traditional attacking offense and the Jets having some pride and bring more ruckus in the trenches and better sets on 3rd down will make for an interesting chess match. Atleast in the first half. As I have said, I think the way we win is ball control/time of possession and field position and wearing down this defense with more success later than early.

Archived