Next Cowboys Coach Discussion

Matts4313

CLICK REVEAL HIDDEN COMMENTS TO SEE THE LIST

So, I wrote up a thing a few weeks ago, back when Garrett getting fired was more probable, as opposed to now looking like a sure thing. I wanted to go a little more in depth on a bunch of the names that I am hearing now and go over their records and some pros and cons and stuff.

Urban Meyer

CV:

• 17 years as a college head coach (Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, Ohio St)
  • 3 National Championships
  • 7 Conference Championships

Pros:

• Offensive Genius
  • Explosive scheme that will maximize Dak
  • Lots of former players in the league, which could increase FA appeal
  • Connections to form great coaching staff

Cons:

• Kind of a piece of ****
  • Holds no one accountable
  • Might quit "retire for medical reasons" if things don't go well.
  • Never coached in the NFL at any level

I have no qualms about Meyer being our coach from an Xs and Os perspective. I just don't think he's the kind of guy that would succeed as an NFL head coach. I see us having a good year, maybe 18 months out of him before the wheels fall off and he runs to USC or Notre Dame or back to commentating.

Josh McDaniels

CV:

• Long-time Patriots OC/QB Coach
  • Two years as Broncos HC
  • One year as OC/QB coach for Rams
  • 6x Super Bowl Champion with Pats

Pros

• Did I mention 6 rings?
  • Shown the ability to dynamically shift offense week to week and year to year to meet roster and opponents
  • Older and wiser than previous ventures from Boston

Cons

• Almost ****ed over a lot of people when he bailed on the Colts job a few years back
  • Bill's assistants don't always do well: only one ever has a winning record as a HC
  • McDaniels kinda sucked in both his previous gigs away from the hoodie
  • In Denver, alienated QB to the point where he forced a trade

I'm not sure how good he'll be this time without Bill and Brady, I can't trust to him to actually take the job if he shakes on it, and he's shown that he's not the best people person. I'm not on board.

Eric Bieniemy

CV:

• Nine years in the league as a RB and special teams guy
  • 15 years as a RB coach in college and NFL
  • Two years OC in college, two in NFL

Pros

• Experienced and respected coach
  • Worked under successful NFL Coaches in Andy Reid and Brad Childress
  • Effective game planner

Cons

• Never called plays at the NFL level
  • Had some personal issues as a coach and player in Colorado

Bieniemy is the type of guy whose name is always floated as a HC but doesn't get the gig. He wouldn't be a bad choice, but he'd need a good staff in place to help continue develop the QBs.

Jim Harbaugh

CV:

• Former NFL starting QB
  • Former Raiders QB coach
  • 12 years as a college HC
  • Four years as 49ers HC
  • Three NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl appearance

Pros

• Obviously, a successful head coach
  • Made Alex Smith look like a first round pick
  • Made Michigan a consistent ranked team and converted Stanford into a powerhouse

Cons

• Tenure at Michigan has shown inability to develop QBs or adapt scheme to roster
  • Tenure in SF ended after power struggle with strong-willed owner and GM
  • Don't think he wants to leave Michigan without beating Ohio St

Harbaugh is a good coach that will coach in the league again, probably well. I just don't think he'd mesh well with Jerry/Stephen/McClay.

Kellen Moore

CV:

• Former backup QB
  • One year QB coach
  • One year OC

Pros:

• Brilliant offensive mind
  • Everyone loves him
  • Destined for coaching: everyone has assumed it to be inevitable once he didn't physically develop into an NFL body

Cons:

• Super inexperienced
  • Very Young
  • Might have issues with a roster that he was recently on the practice squad of, and actually on a college team with one player

Moore might get a shot as the "next Sean McVay", but McVay had a decade of coaching under his belt before the Rams hired him. Moore was on the practice squad two years ago. I'm not ready to make him our head coach.

Chris Petersen

CV:

• 12 years as college position coach
  • 5 years as college OC
  • 14 years as college HC

Pros

• Successful everywhere
  • ranked in the top 16 9 out of 13 full season as HC, with 8 conference titles
  • Kellen Moore's from HC, so chance the offensive staff could be retained

Cons

• Never coached in the NFL at any level
  • Never really coached anywhere with expectations

On paper, Petersen is a great idea. Dynamic and inventive head coach with an avenue to keep Moore et al. But, he's never coached anywhere near this level, and a lot of people think he might not want to jump to the NFL

Richard Hightower

CV:

• Current 49ers ST coordinator
  • 10 years ST coaching ability
  • One year coaching DBs as well
  • One season as college WR coach
  • One season as offensive quality contol coach

Pros:

• Shanahan coaching tree (Houston, Washington, Cleveland, SF)
  • Has worked as a coach in all three phases
  • One of the hardest workers in the league

Cons:

• Never called plays at any level
  • Still relatively inexperienced, only three years as a coordinator

The only person I've seen float his name is KD Drummond, but I was interested enough to look deeper. Hightower had a full ride academic scholarship and walked-on at UT, then forced the coaches to let him play special teams and never looked back. He was able to get a coaching internship in Houston when Kyle Shanahan (his college teammate) was brought in as the WR coach. Ever since, he has worked all over the NFL and college focusing on special teams with occasional position coach work as well.

He's an interesting option to consider, who's career kind of resembles John Harbaugh up to this point.

Mike McDaniel

CV:

• 9 years as an offensive assistant/position coach in NFL
  • 2 seasons as UFL RB coach
  • 3 years as run game coordinator for SF

Pros

• Scheme and fit guy in SF, building running game with meh O-line and ?? at RB
  • Young, dynamic offensive coach in the current trend
  • Valuable enough to 49ers that they block OC interviews for him
  • Multiple former players call him smartest coach they ever played for

Cons

• Never called plays in the league
  • No coordinator experience at any level
  • Substance abuse/mental health issues that created issues early in career and required in-patient treatment in Atlanta

In the realm of "offensive wunderkind" that is the hot trend right now, McDaniel might be the best option. More than anyone else, he's Kyle Shanahan's right hand. His health and alcohol issues are under control right now (almost four years sober) but need to be considered before hiring.

Raheem Morris

CV:

• Three seasons as Buccaneers HC
  • 9 years as DB coach
  • 3 years as WR coach
  • 1 year as college DC

Pros

• Very diverse coaching background
  • Experienced in current defensive scheme, which we could likely continue, not requiring personnel changes
  • 20 years of experience but still young at 43
  • Great at motivating players

Cons

• Wasn't successful as Bucs coach
  • Has been accused of being too much a player's coach
  • Has been up and down as a play caller

Morris was promoted from DB coach to DC to HC in Tampa in a matter of a month. He had six years NFL experience and was 33. He probably wasn't ready. He had a raw deal in a ****ty team with a ****ty front office, and he overperformed his second season.

That was then. Since then, he has spent another almost decade coaching under guys like Quinn and the Shanahans, and has shown leadership, flexibility, and results. He's ready for a second chance soon.

Matt Ebeflus

CV:

• 15 years as college coach, including 8 as DC
  • 9 years as NFL LB coach
  • 2 seasons as passing game coordinator
  • 2 seasons NFL DC

Pros

• Knows the team and the front office
  • Huge role in developing our young LBs
  • Highly respected and effective coach

Cons

• Might be some bad blood in the building

Robert Saleh

CV:

• 4 years as college defensive assistant
  • 6 years as NFL assistant/QC coach
  • 3 years as NFL LB coach
  • 3 years NFL DC

Pros:

• Continued scheme fit for personnel
  • Great for culture
  • Well respected

Cons:

• Only one year of elite defense as a position coach/coordinator

He's the hot young up and coming defensive hire. I worry a little about his ability to scale up to head coach, but he's gonna be one of those guys that you hire a year early rather than miss out on him.

Lincoln Riley

CV:

• 7 years as position coach/offensive assistant
  • 6 years as college OC
  • 3 years as college HC

Pros

• Dynamic, explosive offensive scheme
  • Maximizes the talent of the players he has
  • Great motivator

Cons

• Scheme relies on out-athleting everyone
  • Never coached in a place where defense is a consistent obstacle
  • Riley would owe OU almost $5M if he goes to the NFL this offseason
  • He loves Norman and probably doesn't want to leave as the guy that couldn't get it done in bowl games

The hype is there for Riley, and I would like him out of the Big 12 as much as anyone, but I'm really hesitant about how much of his success would translate to the NFL.

Greg Roman

CV:

• 7 years as offensive coordinator
  • 15 years as position coach

Pros:

• Great offensive mind
  • Ability to adapt scheme to maximize abilities of young QBs
  • Made Lamar Jackson, Tyrod Taylor, Alex Smith and Kaep look like stars

Cons:

• No obvious ones?

Roman seems like a really hot name a lot of teams, especially ones with young QBs, are looking at. At least, their fans are. He'd be great for Dak, and has been around the league long enough that forming a good staff shouldn't be an issue.

Mike McCarthy

CV:

• 12.75 years as Packers head coach
  • 5 seasons as an OC
  • 4 seasons as a QB coach
  • 2 seasons as offensive QC coordinator

Pros

• Super Bowl ring as a HC
  • Great track record as a play caller and player developer

Cons:

• Very conservative mentality
  • Seems a little entitled, even for a NFL coach
  • Hard to tell what of his GB success was him and what was Aaron Rodgers Magic

So, on the one hand, Mike would be a really safe hire. On the other hand, it would be too safe. I'm not a big fan of the offensive philosophy that he came up under in coaching (got his start coaching Martyball), and he lost the locker room hard in Green Bay. I think he'd be a better fit for a team that is coming up from rock bottom rather than one that needs to make that final leap.

Dan Campbell

CV:

• Former TE and Dallas Cowboys
  • Got his first coaching gig as an intern in Miami under Parcells and Sparano
  • 5 years as TE coach in Miami
  • Named interim HC in Miami when they fired Joe Philbin in 2015, went 5-7.
  • Asst HC/TE in New Orleans under Payton since 2016

Pros:

• Former Dallas player, so he understands the demands on the franchise
  • Mentored by Bill Parcells and Sean Payton, and adopted their attitudes
  • When named interim HC in Miami, didn't just go through the motions. Made more coaching changes, firing both coordinators and really pushed the team
  • Look at the hair on this handsome ****

Cons:

• Never a coordinator or playcaller, more of a CEO type coach
  • Has since cut that beautiful hair

I think everyone should watch his introductory press conference when he was named coach in Miami. It really shows his attitude and philosophy about how to manage a team and players. He will need a good pair of coordinators, but he's the kind of coach that can change the tone of a franchise.

Mike Leach

CV:

I'm actually going to list all this out specifically, because its ******* ridiculous.

• OL coach At Cal Poly (whatever FCS used to be called)
  • LB Coach at College of the Desert, which is a community college in California
  • Unspecified job with the Pori Bears (in goddamn Finland)
  • OC/OL coach at Iowa Wesleyan (which recently moved from NAIA to DIII)
  • OC/OL/WR/QB Coach (in various combinations ) at Valdosta State (DII)
  • OC/QB coach at Kentucky
  • OC/QB coach at Oklahoma
  • HC at Texas Tech
  • Two years doing media out of coaching
  • HC at Washington St

Pros:

• Explosive passing attack. Air Raid, Baby!
  • Gets production out of literally anybody on offense
  • Incredible coaching tree
  • One time he created a fake play script and "lost it" where the opposing coaches could find it

Cons:

• He's ******* nuts
  • Fired at Texas Tech after a player accused him of putting him in the equipment shed when he had a concussion.
  • Did I mention he's ******* nuts?
  • A lot of his former players haven't translated to the NFL, especially at QB

I'm not gonna lie, I would let a few losing seasons slide under normal circumstances just to watch this show. Having Mike Leach get national coverage in press conferences would be awesome.

As a coach, though, I'm hesitantly curious. His scheme would definitely fit the league more than it would have a decade ago, and he could make interesting use of Dak. Tempo would be a concern, and I'm not sure what kind of staff he could build.

David Shaw

CV:

• 7 years as an offensive assistant/QB coach in NFL
  • 5 years as a coordinator under Harbuagh in college
  • 9 years as Stanford HC

Pros:

• Successful at every level he's coached.
  • Coached under pro offensive coaches in Gruden, Billick and Harbaugh
  • Has entrenched Stanford as a powerhouse (except this year)

Cons:

• He's been consistent about wanting to stay at Stanford
  • He's just not an exciting prospect

Shaw is a good coach. A really good college coach. He seems content with that. His name floats every year, and he's never once accepted an interview request. He once said that his wife won't allow him to leave Palo Alto. On top of all that, though, he seems like he'd be a lateral move form Garrett.

Matt Rhule

CV:

• 10 years as college asst/position coach
  • 4 years as Temple's OC
  • 1 season as assistant OL coach for the Giants
  • 7 seasons as HC at Temple and Baylor

Pros:

• Maximizes talent. Just squeezes everything out of them.
  • Flipped Baylor from 1-11 to 10-1 in two years
  • Has coached basically every position group but secondary at some point in his career

Cons:

• Not an Xs/Os type of hire. More of a motivator/big picture guy
  • Will need strong coordinators
  • Will only come out if he feels the job is perfect
  • Only one year in NFL
  • Most of his coaching career has been below Power 5 level

Rhule has gotten some love the last few years. He interviewed with the Colts in 2018, and with the Jets last year. He reportedly walked away from both teams. Its unknown what exactly happened with the Colts interview, but it was reported that the Jets wanted some level of control over his assistants and coordinators. He's an intriguing prospect, and I know other teams are interested (reports indicate he's an option for the Giants). He'd be a solid choice, but I don't know if Jerry would be comfortable giving him the reigns.

Kevin Stefanski

CV:

• Vikings Asst/position coach for 12 years
  • Promoted to interim OC last year, got job full time this year

Pros:

• Worked under a very diverse series of coaches
  • Has Vikings offense in the top 8 in yards and points.
  • Made Case Keenum look like a superstar as QB Coach
  • Hopefully has adopted some of the Mike Zimmer attitude

Cons:

• Will have 19 games of playcalling experience at the end of the season, plus playoffs
  • Also had a lot of potential to pick up bad traits from his long series of coaches

He's young, but has been around for a long time in Minnesota. I'm a little worried about whether the rocket strapped to his *** will blast him beyond his level of confidence.

Fun fact: he was the Cleveland Browns' analytics department's recommendation for their head coach position in the offseason, but they listened to Baker instead and hired Kitchens.

John DeFilippo

CV:

• 10 years as a NFL position coach
  • 4 years as a College position coach/oC
  • 3 years as NFL OC

Pros:

• Has made a bunch of QBs look like stars, from the Sanchize to Foles to Minshew
  • Has been on an upward track towards HC seemingly for years

Cons

• Three NFL OC tenures, three different teams, no second seasons
  • Honestly, lasting 13 games in Minnesota, under a coach Jerry likes, is not a good line on the resume

John was on the good track. Vikings OC was supposed to be the feather in his cap, the final step before a HC gig. Then, he blew it and got canned. I feel like that probably sets him back a few years. Maybe a few more seasons in Jax will get him back into the discussion.

Pete Carmichael Jr

CV:

• Five years as college position coach
  • Seven years as NFL position coach
  • Two years as passing game coach
  • 11 seasons as Saints OC

Pros:

• He's been the third leg in the Brees-Payton team for their entire time in New Orleans
  • Real Xs/Os guy that manages the week to week game plan
  • Great at managing the relationship between strong willed people

Cons:

• Not the most passionate or energetic personality
  • How much of his success is him, and how much is Brees and Payton?

The big question is how much of the Saints success can be placed on his shoulders as opposed to the others. He's coached Brees for 17 years. If they are confident he can continue his success, he would be an amazing hire.

Feel free to add candidates

Stole this from Reddit. Credit to /u/down42road:

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Brings up some good points about Petersen. 

Other names worth a mention...

Pete Carmichael 

Bob Stoops 

Gary Kubiak

Duce Staley

Vikings OC whose name I can’t remember

DeFlippo

I just asked for write ups on some of those. I left off Kubiak because he has already said health issues wont allow him to be more than an OC/consultant type role. Duce is just a RB coach and cant even steal away the OC job from their terrible OC.

The Vikings guy is Stefanski or something.

3 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Brings up some good points about Petersen. 

Other names worth a mention...

Pete Carmichael 

Bob Stoops 

Gary Kubiak

Duce Staley

Vikings OC whose name I can’t remember

DeFlippo

List updated with some more. I also request Sweeny for @The_Slamman, but he said nah because its way to unlikely. 

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/11/30/20988448/the-one-cowboys-head-coaching-candidate-nobody-is-talking-about-dan-campbell-jason-garrett

I think you can make a great case for Campbell. Well connected and has mentored under a couple of the best. Would think there is at least an outside chance he'd retain Kitna as well, since they've played together in the past. I'm mildly concerned RM would be retained, but not overly. I kinda think this is the end of the line for RM regardless with Dallas. Maybe Campbell brings in his fmr boss, Joe Philbin as OL coach. 

“I am told keep on eye on Lincoln Riley, the promising young coach out of Oklahoma. Here’s one of the reasons why. The Joneses, Jerry and Stephen, already have formed a close relationship with Lincoln Riley going back to the recruitment of walk-on quarterback John Stephen, who is Jerry Jones’ grandson. Lincoln Riley took a home visit with the Joneses … That is the time they realized what a genius this guy was at offensive football and how they became smitten with him.”

• Like 1

12 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

“I am told keep on eye on Lincoln Riley, the promising young coach out of Oklahoma. Here’s one of the reasons why. The Joneses, Jerry and Stephen, already have formed a close relationship with Lincoln Riley going back to the recruitment of walk-on quarterback John Stephen, who is Jerry Jones’ grandson. Lincoln Riley took a home visit with the Joneses … That is the time they realized what a genius this guy was at offensive football and how they became smitten with him.”

I really think Riley makes a lot of sense in every way except that he might not want to take the job.

On 11/30/2019 at 5:10 PM, WizardHawk said:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/11/30/20988448/the-one-cowboys-head-coaching-candidate-nobody-is-talking-about-dan-campbell-jason-garrett

I think you can make a great case for Campbell. Well connected and has mentored under a couple of the best. Would think there is at least an outside chance he'd retain Kitna as well, since they've played together in the past. I'm mildly concerned RM would be retained, but not overly. I kinda think this is the end of the line for RM regardless with Dallas. Maybe Campbell brings in his fmr boss, Joe Philbin as OL coach. 

I love Dan Campbell. Would not be mad, just think there are some home run options there and Campbell is a triple.

On 11/29/2019 at 5:46 PM, D82 said:

Petersen doesn't interest me in the least.

Will have to agree to disagree on this one. I think he'd be a great choice. Just wonder if something is going on behind the scenes with his departure from UW.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

https://www.panthers.com/news/carolina-panthers-part-ways-with-head-coach-ron-rivera

Also of note: Norv Turner has been "re-assigned" to "special assistant to the HC". QB coach Scott Turner is now offensive coordinator.

Ron in Dallas for our defensive staff next year? Would be an awesome LB coach. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Would be great, but think there's a good chance he'll be a head coach somewhere next year.

1 minute ago, textaz03 said:

He will most likely land as a DC some where if not another HC gig

Where do you guys think? Im not sure how many openings there will be. Us, Redskins, Falcons, Jags.... who else?

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Where do you guys think? Im not sure how many openings there will be. Us, Redskins, Falcons, Jags.... who else?

Rumor up here in the Tri-State region is Pat Shurmur probably gonna be out and I would suspect that Kitchens maybe 1 and done in Cleveland (guy is in way over his head) 

Schwartz is probably first guy out in Philly as soon as their season is over so that could be a DC opening