Next Cowboys Coach Discussion

Matts4313

1 hour ago, eagles suck said:

Im confused with all the offensive minded coach suggestions. Did we not have the #1 offense in the league this year. IMO Kellen Moore did a great job for his first year. We were 22 in the league last year. Bringing in a dominant offensive minded coach would put Kellens voice in the background or to another team. I really think we should bring in a defensive minded coach that what hold players accountable. If we go offensive coach I would take Dan Campbell 

This is an offensive league, and the #1 determinant of our medium-to-long term competitiveness is Dak’s development as a QB.

That said, I really like Moore, and guy like Dan Campbell, who could probably work well with Moore, is an intriguing option. But it would be a hard sell for me to grab an HC who is defensive oriented.

57 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Do you all not want Harbaugh? Or do you not think he is a realistic option? 

That was an odd tenure. Man he had some success early and then it went down the toilet just as quick. I think he could stand up to JJ. But standing up to him could certainly mean not getting along with as well. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Do you all not want Harbaugh? Or do you not think he is a realistic option? 

Do not want. His successes at Stanford and S.F. and failures at Michigan tell me that Greg Roman was more responsible for the success than he was.

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Offensive minded coaches have fared much better the last decade or so. 

Except they don’t. Look at the Super Bowl champions over the last 15 seasons. Nearly all of them were won with defensive coaches or by teams with top defenses that season.

4 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Do not want. His successes at Stanford and S.F. and failures at Michigan tell me that Greg Roman was more responsible for the success than he was.

His record at Michigan is better than his Stanford record? He is 47- 18 (basically 10-4/yr) with 3 top 15 finishes. 

People act like he is trash at Michigan. What am I missing?

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

His record at Michigan is better than his Stanford record? He is 47- 18 (basically 10-4/yr) with 3 top 15 finishes. 

Everyone thinks because he couldn’t beat Ohio he is garbage

3 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

Everyone thinks because he couldn’t beat Ohio he is garbage

Well not entirely. His record against top 15 opponents is terrible also. Bowl games he’s terrible. Obviously his Ohio state record is well documented but Michigan fans know he doesn’t do well against real competitors and bowl games at that. His teams either come out flat often or die out after half time. Adjustments aren’t there either.

Edited by TheBeast23
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

He really hasn’t beaten top opponents, is 1-4 in bowl games, has choked away many quality wins, and hasn’t beaten Ohio State. Basically, the benchmarks needed to be a proven, successful, college coach haven’t been met.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Except they don’t. Look at the Super Bowl champions over the last 15 seasons. Nearly all of them were won with defensive coaches or by teams with top defenses that season.

I mean, that only works if you are counting Bill as a defensive headcoach. Which Bill has actually acted as the Pats OC and playcaller before, so that is disingenuous. Bill acts as an all 3 phases coach. Outside of that:

The reason for the offensive trend is that a lot of new offensive coaches have had success recently. That includes Eagles coach Doug Pederson, Rams coach Sean McVay, Bears coach Matt Nagy, Colts coach Frank Reich and Chargers coach Anthony Lynn. The owners who have seen the success those coaches have had want to emulate it.

Seven of the last eight Super Bowl winners possessed top-10 offenses, while multiple teams — including Super Bowl squads like the 2009 Saints, 2011 Giants and 2016 Falcons — have gone on deep playoff runs despite poorly-ranked defenses.

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I mean, that only works if you are counting Bill as a defensive headcoach. Which Bill has actually acted as the Pats OC and playcaller before, so that is disingenuous. Bill acts as an all 3 phases coach. Outside of that:

It’s not disingenuous. It’s true. That being said, outside of the two Super Bowls that Peyton Manning won (where he played terribly), top QB play was arguably the most critical aspect of the wins. Regardless, we can’t ignore defense and think we’ll have a chance. We must have a coach - regardless of whether he’s an offensive or defensive guy - who believes in defense and understands that it’s impossible to win without it. 

10 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Just a feeling and not saying I want him as a coach, I think Jerry is waiting to see if Minny loses and fires Zimmer.

I think that's his first choice.

Vikes owner already came out saying Zimmer and their GM will be back next year. Came out and said it yesterday

5 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

Vikes owner already came out saying Zimmer and their GM will be back next year. Came out and said it yesterday

I heard that. But if Minny gets blown out and with the possibility of losing Stefanski, they may want to keep their OC.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Agreed. If it’s Bill, sign new up for a “defensive coach”. Other than that, this is an offensive league.