Teams Running for 130+ Yards Win Games

SkippyX

Are :

• Teams winning games because they're running the ball?

Or :

• Are teams running the ball because they're winning games and they need to run out the clock?

• Just
    • Some
      • Food
        • For
          • Thought
            • : )

Correlation != Causation

Edited by Gmen

12 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Are teams winning because they rush for so much, or are teams already winning so they run the ball enough to eclipse that threshold?

I was just going to ask this....

I don't think there is any doubt the two are correlated, I just don't know if the rushing causes the winning, or the winning causes the rushing

This will all be moot soon. In a few years the QB position will be completely transformed from what it was even 10 years ago, and these types of offenses will be the norm

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

Are :

• Teams winning games because they're running the ball?

Or :

• Are teams running the ball because they're winning games and they need to run out the clock?

• Just
    • Some
      • Food
        • For
          • Thought
            • : )

Correlation != Causation

He already addressed that question on page 1

43 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

He already addressed that question on page 1

Yes, but if nobody is actually gonna go look it up(for every team, and every game), then it doesn't mean anything.  

I don't know if it would matter or not, and I don't care nearly enough to go find out, but it needs to be checked to be thorough.  Along with a host of other variables.

Piling on to the point that this is probably because teams that are winning run the ball more, this was the first article that FootballOutsiders ever wrote, incidentally on the subject:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2003/establishment-clause

This article also shows that play action is effectively regardless of how many times it's used, so it's probably also true that the ground game doesn't need to be that great.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/can-nfl-coaches-overuse-play-action-they-havent-yet/

I think this is going to have a high correlation because teams that are winning run the ball (see the first article - it's old but applicable). However, I think it's fairly obvious that teams who are struggling to run will have a harder time winning than those that don't.

16 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

RB don't matter nor the running game, get it right Skippy! Fall in line damnit!

63-2  for these 4 QB. 🍺

•  

Throw in Goff, Cousins, and Stafford and the record for those seven QBs (Brady, Rodgers, Goff, Wentz, Stafford, Brees, Cousins) becomes 91-4 when their teams rush for 130+. 

Can't assume that every time that's winning is solely piling up yardage at the end of the game. How many teams can you remember icing out a long 4th quarter drive by running the ball 50+ yards or so for 8min? I can't imagine it's that common.

On 11/30/2019 at 11:14 AM, SkippyX said:

I have not thoroughly researched this but early findings look like there is a very strong correlation.

I did all the research for you and posted it this summer. The correlation is extremely low. 

One of the articles I posted specifically even addressed the major flaw in your argument - are you rushing at the end of the game to kill the clock. They looked at effective running in close games vs games were the team was up 2+ scores. At the end of the day, it was something like the bulk rushing leader wins 53% vs 47% in close games.

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1