Is it time to switch to a 4-3 defense?

Skippy

The problem with a 4-3 defense these days are there aren't enough Bobby Wagner type MLB who can play downhill in the run game and are effective in dropping in coverage. Martinez may be able to be effective in the former, but not the ladder. 

I do agree with @Outpost31 that we need more big bodies in the box but that is not Pettine's defense. He goes lighter in the box and dares teams to commit to the run all game to beat them. Now what would be fine, if we weren't giving up so many chunk plays in the passing game. 

That to me, seems to be our dilemma. 

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Preston Smith as a Sam LB in a 4-3 with Gary and Z as 4-3 defensive ends would be fun to watch.  So would a philosophy that doesn’t have Martinez responsible for 37 thousand gaps.  Burks might even have some value as a Will.  

In nickel looks, just take Burks off the field.  

In Dime sets, put Preston at DE, Z or Gary next to Clark instead of whoever would be next to Clark.  

I want 4 DL every single play.  

I hate when our defense looks like the infamous Colts fake punt look.  

My mind just got died.  Preston Smith is trash in coverage.  Trash is not a good enough word for it.

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't care if it's a 4-3 or 3-4, I'm just sick of the lack of DL.  I don't care what the base is, I am sick to damn death of having 1 or 2 down linemen.  I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate that mentality.  If it were up to me there would always be 2 EDGE defenders obviously, plus 2 interior DL on every single play.  Every single play.  I hate seeing those gaps and only a safety playing linebacker or Martinez behind them.  I literally feel like offenses go up against those types of looks like:

391pr7.jpg

I think the issue is our safeties that are forced to play linebacker don't fill very strong.  They don't take on blocks like normal linebackers normally would.  That said, even when we are running 3-4 at the end of games to stop the run we have problems.

13 minutes ago, waterfish_21 said:

My mind just got died.  Preston Smith is trash in coverage.  Trash is not a good enough word for it.

He would blitz 80% of the time.  It worked in Madden with Kyler Fackrell when I did it, so shut up.  5 rushers per play every play.  Worked really well when I sent a DB on about 50% of the plays.  I was a top ten defense every single year of Taysum Hill type’s career and won 5 Super Bowls.  Don’t tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about, man.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

He would blitz 80% of the time.  It worked in Madden with Kyler Fackrell when I did it, so shut up.  5 rushers per play every play.  Worked really well when I sent a DB on about 50% of the plays.  I was a top ten defense every single year of Taysum Hill type’s career and won 5 Super Bowls.  Don’t tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about, man.

Why haven't you told anyone of this discovery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, waterfish_21 said:

He’s Actually a fine player in space for his size. You don’t want him running 30 yards downfield but he is actually quite good in short zone or flat coverages. I think this statement isn’t close to true. 

Even if we switched defenses, we’d need more talent up front. Our front 7 our talent level is still pretty average. Objectively, Clark and the Smiths are our only plus defenders in the front 7. Pff backs this up ;

Z 84

Clark 71

Preston 69)

Lancaster gets a non impact but run stuffing job doing 65 (fringe starting grade) 

Lots of concern after that 

The hope this year was Lowry or Monty could make a jump. Didn’t happen and now we really need another DL

This thread is a pretty good litmus test of who actually knows what they are talking about.

Every team uses most of the same basic looks. It's not the alignment, it's the players and their assignments. There are things the Packers could do differently and better, but it really doesn't matter what you call the base defense.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Even if we switched defenses, we’d need more talent up front. Our front 7 our talent level is still below average. Objectively, Clark and the Smiths are our only plus defenders in the front 7. Pff backs this up ;

Z 84

Clark 71

Preston 69)

Lancaster gets a non impact but run stuffing job doing 65 (fringe starting grade) 

Lots of concern after that 

The hope this year was Lowry or Monty could make a jump. Didn’t happen and now we really need another DL

fixed. The Smiths are holding this defense up along with Jaire, Clark, the two Safeties, and yes Martinez.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

fixed. The Smiths are holding this defense up along with Jaire, Clark, the two Safeties, and yes Martinez.

I still think our D will finish and is middle of the pack. Perception has been screwed a bit since our schedule is front loaded. In 5 weeks once our numbers are more normalized beating up on the bad qbs of our schedule, the tune of the board will shift (from early season wow, to mid season oh no, to late season okay).

The fact is most teams have a few minus defenders playing. We are in line with that.

Regardless of the 3-4 or 4-3 or 3-3, it is pretty evident that GB needs another high quality DL player.    

The group of Adams, Lowry, Lancaster have just not cut it in terms of quality play/production.    I was hopeful that Adams would provide better play, but that has just not happened.

• Like 1