GDT Week 2: Cowboys @ Broncos - Witten in the Stars

Texas_OutLaw7

2017-broncos-vs-cowboys.jpg

Sunday, September 17, 4:25 PM on FOX

http://506sports.com/  (can you watch the game?)

Key Match-ups:

• Broncos Pass-rush vs Cowboys Great Wall
  • Broncos WR's vs Cowboys Rookie Secondary

DJee6LSXcAADMpp.jpg

Witten's Legacy:

DJZ8oFfXoAARtNi.jpg:large

Jason Witten just passed Tim Brown for sixth place all-time in career receptions

https://twitter.com/jonmachota/status/907059990766260224

Witten had an 11-yard reception in the second quarter to set the record against the New York Giants on Sunday night at AT&T Stadium. Witten needed only 17 yards to pass Michael Irvin’s mark of 11,904. He also tied Ed “Too Tall” Jones for most games played (224) in Cowboys history.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/article172505751.html

As Zeke calls him, "GOLD JACKET WIT!" 

The two match-ups you highlighted will likely decide the game, but I'm also interested to see how our receivers fare against their corners.

The Giants may have one of the best CB trios in football, but the Broncos have THE best, and I don't think it's close.

I tried to watch some of the game last night... Sigh.. just our luck to play this game at Denver... I think being at Denver is a huge plus for them.

Well here we go...

On offense can we run the ball well enough with Elliot to off set or slow down their pass rush so Dak has time to make plays. While their CB's are good we have a group that even against good CB's can get some early separation, it just comes to a time issue, does Dak have time enough to find the open guy and make a clean throw to move the chains.   WE will not convert very many if any 3rd and over 5 yards against this team, their front seven is just too fast and too athletic getting to the QB to allow that. Thus I hope we can control the TOP which will be a big help to our D.  Either way our OL will need help on the edge and the back has to be real good in reading/picking up the blitz.

On defense can we stop the power speed rushing of Anderson on the edges, seemed he did better running outside the tackles rather then up the gut.. he is not shifty but has good speed and power their OL is better then the Giants but still not that great.. so can we get enough pressure and or coverage to get their offense off the field. Their QB made some real nice throws seemed accurate but really didn't see him go through any progressions, if the No 1 read was open then he completed the pass. He also seemed to struggle making passes out of the pocket but I really didn't see a large enough sample size to know if this is his MO. So be smart in coverage, their WR's are good route runners so we might be in man to man (loosing scandrick hurts here a lot). Good news here is their QB will also throw interceptions, made a few bad decisions on some of his throws throwing the ball when the receiver really wasn't open. Still they have a much better receiving core then the Giant team we faced, good mix of size and quickness that can be difficult to match up.

Special teams - it can be easy to over kick your coverage team in Denver, is this a game were we see Switzer make some game changing plays. I really liked his decision making process when to and when not to call a fair catch. Like wise we really need to be careful on coverage to not give up any returns do to Jones over kicking the coverage. Hopefully Jones will figure out his range correctly so he can pin them inside the 20 when ever possible.  ALL kick offs better be Touch backs..

Their defense is going to be a good test, but I think less of one than the Giants.  The Giants D is tailored to our game, so I think is a little tougher than Denvers, though they may be better overall. Gordon had some success against them. Zeke is certainly as good, and has a much better run blocking line. If Dak fixes his accuracy issues, I think we have a pretty decent offensive day.

Defensively... well, they need a QB.

10 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

I think this is a great early-season test for Collins again. First week it was JPP and now Von Miller, after these two games we we'll have a good idea of how good Collins can be by playoffs. Collins will be so much better by Year's End.

Agreed. Last week was really amazing to watch from that perspective, though, as both sides got their digs in. Snacks absolutely destroyed Frederick once and Martin got knocked on his butt by B J Goodson. Things you just don't see. Like, ever.

22 hours ago, matt79511 said:

The two match-ups you highlighted will likely decide the game, but I'm also interested to see how our receivers fare against their corners.

The Giants may have one of the best CB trios in football, but the Broncos have THE best, and I don't think it's close.

Agreed, but Denver doesn't have NY's front seven. Von Miller is Von Miller ob-veez, but NY's collective unit is arguably the best in the league, with only Seattle capable of presenting something to the contrary. Win up front, and the secondary as good as it is, becomes much less impactful. 

51 minutes ago, Texasmade said:

Agreed, but Denver doesn't have NY's front seven. Von Miller is Von Miller ob-veez, but NY's collective unit is arguably the best in the league, with only Seattle capable of presenting something to the contrary. Win up front, and the secondary as good as it is, becomes much less impactful. 

Dak will have to be more accurate (though I expect him to be)

Can't miss Dez and Witten the way he did early.

10 minutes ago, Dirk Gently said:

Dak will have to be more accurate (though I expect him to be)

Can't miss Dez and Witten the way he did early.

He should be. He looked a little geeked up and was trying to overspin it early. Once he settled down he was fine. He still completed 62% of his throws, so it's not like he morphed into Brock Oseweiler. But you're right, he can't overthrow Dez at the goal line and cost his team a TD. Handing the bull to your bull of a RB at least once, would be helpful as well, but that's another conversation. 

1 hour ago, Texasmade said:

No doubt this game likely comes down to our ability to block Denver's front. If our run game can consistently create manageable down and distances, and our pass pro holds up well, we should be fine offensively, as is the case against any team.

But no matter how many third and longs we face, I'm interested to see what our WRs can do. I think they're an underrated group, but Denver's DBs are as good as it gets. Ultimately, I don't think we can give Zeke 30 touches every game (though I imagine we will this game), and, as much as it pains me to say this, Dez is going to have to prove his worth via catches and yards (not just coverage distortion, as valuable as that is) if he wants another big contract here.

I just like highlighting other match ups is all.

25 minutes ago, Texasmade said:

He should be. He looked a little geeked up and was trying to overspin it early. Once he settled down he was fine. He still completed 62% of his throws, so it's not like he morphed into Brock Oseweiler. But you're right, he can't overthrow Dez at the goal line and cost his team a TD. Handing the bull to your bull of a RB at least once, would be helpful as well, but that's another conversation. 

I loved the playcall. It was very similar to the one Witten scored on. Both were great reads... and that may be the big thing to take away from this game. Dak's accuracy was spotty. But his reads were top notch. He's way ahead of where he was last year.  The Witten TD literally took my breath away. I stood up out of my chair (at home) and shouted "Oh!" as Dak put the ball in Elliott's gut, because I saw the same thing he did and I knew it was 6 to Witten.

It's entirely likely he had the exact same reaction just before throwing to Dez and that's why he threw it high.

But it's one thing to say Dak has mastered the RPO (he has), but another entirely the way he was manipulating safties and modifying plays. Last year, I thought it was wrong not to put Romo back in. This year, Daks taken large strides towards mentally being as good as Romo. If he settles in and throws like he knows how, I think he's capable of great success, even against a team like Denver.

Archived