Houston does not plan on hiring a GM for 2020

RuskieTitan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001081969/article/texans-not-planning-to-hire-general-manager-for-2020-season

When the Texans' courtship of New England Patriots top executive Nick Caserio fell through this past offseason, the thought was simple: Houston would wait until after the draft and hire Caserio then. That does not appear to be the plan, anymore.

Sources say that the Texans plan to continue this offseason and beyond with their current personnel structure rather than hire a true general manager in title. Coach Bill O'Brien has final say, though he essentially works with the team's executive vice president of team development Jack Easterby to be in charge of football operations.

Thus, tonight's showdown between Houston and New England won't feature the Texans future GM watching from a rival coaching box, after all. A tense situation that included a tampering charge this spring is poised to end without incident.

Currently, O'Brien and Easterby run things, while the rest of the duties are divvied up. Chris Olsen, the VP of Football Administration, does contracts and deals with the salary cap. And Matt Bazirgan runs player personnel.

It's a unique setup, but one that has worked for the Texans.

Fantastic news for Houston given the Texans success this season. Thoughts @ET80?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

William O'Brien (the GM) is better than Bill O'Brien (the HC) IMO.

Maybe William will take the gig full time and hire a HC? Maybe?

Disagree. Duke Johnson trade you got fleeced, and while Tunsil's helped out, damn you gave up a lot to get him.

I think in a few years you'll disagree with this take tbh.

51 minutes ago, Danger said:

Disagree. Duke Johnson trade you got fleeced, and while Tunsil's helped out, damn you gave up a lot to get him.

I think in a few years you'll disagree with this take tbh.

i posted my grades on twitter...basically i said

clowney trade- D

duke johnson trade- D

hyde/rankin trade- solid B+

conley trade- B

Tunsil/Stills trade- B...if tunsil doesnt resign its an F

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Duke Johnson trade you got fleeced

Duke Johnson is doing a lot more than any other 3rd round pick this team ever had. If you're looking just at numbers, you're doing it wrong on him. Johnson out on routes is drawing attention, and is why Darren Fells is getting so open down the seam.

Gaeron Conley and and Carlos Hyde are also big contributors so far, worth more than their asking price.

I'll concede that I'll know more down the line, but those names brought in have been cornerstone contributors so far.