Fire Pettine

MacReady

We're 13th in points, which isn't terrible and probably really the only thing that matters outside of turnovers. We're also very good in the redzone.

I'll concede to moving on from Pettine if we can't turnover the ball consistently over these last weeks of the season and continue to give up big plays. Individual players need to step up though, and Pettine needs to get more aggressive challenging WRs. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd

Jones was lobbing up some ducks today, of which a few were interceptions, but more often than not those ducks found a home.  I was just scratching my head on some of his completions, like “WTF!?”  And it wasn’t because Jone’s receivers were making unbelievable catches, outside of one.

I’d like to chalk it to the field conditions, but NY covered our receivers with no problems today, for the most part.  I’ll gladly take the win and move on, but this defense doesn’t instill much confidence.  That 3rd down and 12 conversion by NY in the third quarter really chapped my a$$, among several others.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  No.  What are you gonna do about it?

He can't do anything about it but YOU could stick to the topic of the thread and not turn every one of these into "I hate Rodgers because he is overpaid".

This thread is about Pettine and the defense.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

He can't do anything about it but YOU could stick to the topic of the thread and not turn every one of these into "I hate Rodgers because he is overpaid".

This thread is about Pettine and the defense.

Lol.  I know what this thread is about.  I made it.  It’s relevant.  When you have an opinion, you add things to back up and support your opinion.  It is my opinion that Pettine should be fired.  I added to that opinion by stating that our team thinks Rodgers is capable of more than he is, and because Rodgers isn’t as capable as people think he is, we need more out of our defensive coordinator to compensate for it.  

But yeah, I definitely tried turning my own thread about Pettine into a Rodgers thread.  

jenniferlawrencethumbsup.gif

Serious question- we get eaten alive  between the 20’s because we insist on playing passive, yet still give up a ton of explosive plays.  If you are Pettine, why wouldn’t you turn the aggression up a few notches in the hopes of A) increasing turnovers and B) getting this defense excited (sometimes it’s like we are sleeping out there)?

14 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Serious question- we get eaten alive  between the 20’s because we insist on playing passive, yet still give up a ton of explosive plays.  If you are Pettine, why wouldn’t you turn the aggression up a few notches in the hopes of A) increasing turnovers and B) getting this defense excited (sometimes it’s like we are sleeping out there)?

Exactly.  If he doesn't turn it on soon I'll get on the fire Pettine bandwagon.  Bring in Jim Leanhard to replace him.  No more "soft zone"  or "bend but don't break".  Unleash the dogs.  Giving up on that 4th and 8 to an easy pitch and catch ughhh.  Playing conservative trying to limit big plays isn't exactly working is it? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol.  I know what this thread is about.  I made it.  It’s relevant.  When you have an opinion, you add things to back up and support your opinion.  It is my opinion that Pettine should be fired.  I added to that opinion by stating that our team thinks Rodgers is capable of more than he is, and because Rodgers isn’t as capable as people think he is, we need more out of our defensive coordinator to compensate for it.  

But yeah, I definitely tried turning my own thread about Pettine into a Rodgers thread.  

jenniferlawrencethumbsup.gif

Yes you did.  ;)

I too am unhappy with Pettine.  We have spent a lot of FA and draft capital into that side of the ball.  Perhaps if we had someone who could actually cover a TE in the middle of the damn field that would help...

Pillow soft zones ALWAYS give up big plays. We've seen it so many times in the NFL in general. I think our solution at this point is to send at least 5 guys. Run the odd front with 3 down linemen that we've seen, but just send Blake along with the other 4 guys in front of them up the middle to flush the QB. We have Haskins, Trubisky, Cousins, and Driskell as our last 4 QB's before the playoffs. With Haskins as MAYBE the only exception, none of those guys are mobile QB's IMHO.