Fire Pettine

MacReady

17 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

This defense is a one and done in the playoffs defense. 

I'd say it's a 2 and done. If we can retain the 3 seed and win at home, THEN we'll probably wind up going to NO or SF and get our @$$es handed to us again...

15 minutes ago, Green19 said:

just drop this here...

Though only thing about bend but don't break is it allows the opposing teams on offense to use up a lot of the clock marching down the field so our offense can't touch the ball. This defense would work well if we score touchdowns every time we have the ball but that isn't happening.  But agree the red zone defense has been outstanding.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Though only thing about bend but don't break is it allows the opposing teams on offense to use up a lot of the clock marching down the field so our offense can't touch the ball. This defense would work well if we score touchdowns every time we have the ball but that isn't happening.  But agree the red zone defense has been outstanding.

They bend and don’t break because they are banking the 3 things they are great at will happen if they force a team to go 10+ plays every drive. Pass rush, turnovers and red zone defense.

The issue is the offense isn’t consistent at this point. If the offense had good rhythm drives and the defense saw 1-2 less drives the over numbers I think would be better.

Pettine is playing to his strengths. I think going into the season they didn’t care about run defense honestly... it was about the QBs and you can see it based on the things they do well. I think he is sticking to the plan... Matt and Aaron need to pick it up to help them I feel.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Green19 said:

They bend and don’t break because they are banking the 3 things they are great at will happen if they force a team to go 10+ plays every drive. Pass rush, turnovers and red zone defense.

The issue is the offense isn’t consistent at this point. If the offense had good rhythm drives and the defense saw 1-2 less drives the over numbers I think would be better.

Pettine is playing to his strengths. I think going into the season they didn’t care about run defense honestly... it was about the QBs and you can see it based on the things they do well. I think he is sticking to the plan... Matt and Aaron need to pick it up to help them I feel.

Agree as stated before, the offense has to score touchdowns when they have limited number of touches to make this defense work.  That and limit that big number of splash plays that defense gives up resulting in touchdowns!

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

That's the thing our offence should be scoring we have a good Oline, a future HOF qb that can still make most throws. If and when AR is right he scores early and often. He just hasn't been right for a few years.

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Taken as an overall team scheme, it can work.  As you pointed out, the whole thing can break down rather quickly if the offense is 3 and out, or isn't taking time of the clock and scoring.  The Defense will get gassed quickly if they're on the field a majority of the game, which can lead to increased propensity for injuries.  There's also a psychological toll to the entire team when you're constantly having to defend.  In most sports, the offense is the opportunity to be the aggressor and to force your will upon the opponent.  A good defense can only be aggressive for so long, before they get gassed.

13 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Taken as an overall team scheme, it can work.  As you pointed out, the whole thing can break down rather quickly if the offense is 3 and out, or isn't taking time of the clock and scoring.  The Defense will get gassed quickly if they're on the field a majority of the game, which can lead to increased propensity for injuries.  There's also a psychological toll to the entire team when you're constantly having to defend.  In most sports, the offense is the opportunity to be the aggressor and to force your will upon the opponent.  A good defense can only be aggressive for so long, before they get gassed.

Good points, one would think to that this year Pettine and MLF have been a bit more passive on that side of the ball maybe believing the offence can put points on the board so they don't have to be as risky on the defensive side of the ball. Plus we do get a fair amount of pressure with the Smith's so why blitz to much. I would like to see a bit more risk in certain situations in the next few games.

1 minute ago, PACKRULE said:

Good points, one would think to that this year Pettine and MLF have been a bit more passive on that side of the ball maybe believing the offence can put points on the board so they don't have to be as risky on the defensive side of the ball. Plus we do get a fair amount of pressure with the Smith's so why blitz to much. I would like to see a bit more risk in certain situations in the next few games.

In addition to a bit more risk, more aggression is certainly needed.  As I stated, the bend-don't' break (or literally, death by a thousand cuts) has several downsides:  defense getting gassed, injury risk, and the psychological toll to the entire team.  There's no other sport that I know of but football, where the defense can truly set the tone and impose its will on an opponent.  A good defense can stymie - or outright eliminate - momentum and confidence of the other team.  This cannot be done passively - period.  You can win games passively, but in the long run, you're not building the 'identity' of a winner, and that's what this team is lacking right now.

• Like 2