Bears Concerns Power Rankings

WindyCity

1. WR

This is obvious and will require a ton of monitoring to see if someone can step up and fill a role, really any role. My guess is that we are not going to see a trade so we should get a ton of time like Wright, Gentry and Wheaton. My guess is the Bears are going to need at least 2 significant additions moving forward based on Wheaton and Meredith's health.

2. OLB

This position looked very deep and now it looks a little shallow and the future does not look very bright. The tough spot for this position is that there is almost no youth worth watching outside of Floyd unless Irving gets onto the active roster. Based on one week, we might be seeing the end of Willie Young after getting 19 snaps and not doing a lot and I do not know how anyone can count on McPhee for 2017 and especially moving into 2018.

3. Interior OL

The Bears do not really have a backup C, Grasu looks weak whenever he plays against starting calibre interior players. The Bears also have a banged up Kyle Long who is going to have more surgeries in the offseason and they have a 31-32 year old Sitton who is declining. This is another position that I thought was deep and had a brighter future, but the Bears do not want Trubisky playing with this many issues circling in front of him. I liked how Compton played week 1, but it is the future I am not concerned about.

4. S

I am going to watch Demps and Jackson closely. Demps I want to see if he is worth keeping for a 2nd year, or is he simply a bandaid for this season and needs to be upgraded, based on yesterday I was not super impressed. Jackson looked solid and I think he has a bright future, which I hope continues. Finding a SS is easier than finding a FS.

5. OT Depth

Sowell is not a long term guy and he is not going to get better with time. The Bears need to see if they can get a young guy ready to be the swing tackle and possibly compete with Bobbie Massie.

1. WR - Maybe one sticks like Wright, and maybe Gentry shows he can be a solid reserve. Still need a number two and pray for Meredith to recover fully.

2. RT - Massie had 4/5's a good game, but crumbled on the final play. I just don't trust his consistency at all.

3. OLB/ILB. Specifically someone who thrives in coverage. Floyd was in coverage too much last game. Freeman is aging as well. Nick seems to be much better vs the run ATM. 

S - I hope someone steps up to pair with Jackson long term we already have. 

CB - If Prince or Fuller are not re-signed they jump up this list. 

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

1. Pass rusher

2. RT 

3. OLB/ILB. Specifically someone who thrives in coverage. Floyd was in coverage too much last game. Freeman is aging as well. Nick seems to be much better vs the run ATM. 

S - I hope someone steps up to pair with Jackson long term we already have. 

CB - If Prince or Fuller are not re-signed they jump up this list. 

No WR?

1...WR...This was a major concern before Cam and White went down...the hope is Cam comes back at 100% and Wight picks up in the slot...but we massively need a deep threat to stretch the field...I like Parris Campbell as a high potential fit.

2...OLB...You can never have enough pass rush and right now we have a ton of question marks...Floyd is a talent no doubt but has some injury concerns...the other side right now is a dumpster fire with Willie Young looking like he doesn't have much less, McPhee highly doubtful to be on the roster next year given the salary and his injury concerns and Acho is quality depth who plays the run well and is a special teamer but not a starter or pass rusher...lot of good looking 3-4 OLBs out there...Dorance Armstrong Jr is an interesting looking fit.

3...ILB/S...I would prefer a safety to pair with Jackson long term but basically I just want anyone who can cover a TE because it's killing us.

4...DL...Much like OLB you can never have enough good pass rushers and we lack depth up front...when Mitch Unrein is a starter you have issues...adding another quality DL would allow us to rotate Goldman and Hicks more which will keep them fresher and more effective.

5...QB...bit of a weird one I know...but Glennon won't be on this roster next year so we can spend his salary on improving another spot...Sanchez is more of a mentor than a QB at this point...so let's take a lesson from the Redskins and draft another talent at the position...worst case scenario he is a long term backup...best case we can flip him for a high pick in the future if Trubisky becomes the star we think he will.

34 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

5...QB...bit of a weird one I know...but Glennon won't be on this roster next year so we can spend his salary on improving another spot...Sanchez is more of a mentor than a QB at this point...so let's take a lesson from the Redskins and draft another talent at the position...worst case scenario he is a long term backup...best case we can flip him for a high pick in the future if Trubisky becomes the star we think he will.

I don't think it is wierd at all, it is a smart investment IMO. Of course we don't go for one in the first, but competition is what it is all about, and like you said, the return on investment might be pretty solid.

1. OLB: McPhee is half a player, Young seems like he's losing a step and Acho is a depth run defender.... I'd like to see that Irving kid get a shot on the 53 before the season's out so we can better see what we've got there, but odds are this is going to be a high draft pick.... A guy like Tyus Bowser this year would have been perfect...

2. CB: I have zero faith in any of our corners atm.. Fuller at best is a #2-3 guy who we could keep for depth, but I'm not super confident he's a Bear next season regardless.

3. S: Jackson is a rookie and is making some rookie mistakes, but I still think he's a good long term answer.... Demps is old and honestly playing poorly thus far.... Amos is a guy who can be good depth, but I don't think is a starter.... I'm listing OLB/CB/S before WR because we need to start getting some INTs defensively. Holding offenses is one thing, taking the ball away is another.

4. WR.... I'm of the opinion that Meredith is a #2 WR, Wheaton/Wright are #3 levels.... and Gentry is the wildcard right now who COULD be something, but as of yet is nada. Part of the reason I put this lower is because I'd optimisitic Shaheen can start putting it together, and Wheaton/Wright/Meredith (when healthy)/ Gentry/Cohen can all take a small load and divide up the balls as a committee. That being said, we are still 100% without a #1 WR, and that ain't gonna be Kevin White, nor should it have been forced upon Cam Meredith. The big concern here is that you aren't going to plug and play a rookie as a #1 WR, so if our intention is to compete next year, this is probably going to have to be an impending FA like Landry.

5. Interior OL: This is actually higher on my chart than OT.... Long is hobbled and never got his shoulder actually fixed, when it was clearly impacting his play last year... I'm honestly a bit concerned he's going to get back to his former level. Meanwhile Sitton is old, and I'm less than thrilled with Grasu... Ideally we need a guy who can come in and fill in for LG/RG/C... especially if we're going to keep trying to be a running team.

6. OT: Leno is not a superstar, but he's a bargain for his production... Massie has honestly been playing well recently. That said, as a "running team" this needs to be a focus to where we can either replace one of Leno/Massie or at least back them up solidly.

On the final snap of the game, Mike Glennon was set up at 9 yards behind the line of scrimmage and was sacked at 10 yards.

There is no tackle on the planet that sets up to block a guy at 9 yards of depth.

Blame Leno for giving up inside pressure, blame Glennon for retreating too far, but Massie was fine on that play. He took Brooks Reed more than wide enough.

1 HC

2 WR

3 OLB

4 RT

5 OG

Safety is ranked lower than most as I still like Jackson a lot and he+decent body would be fine until we get our other needs taken care of.  Fox has already annoyed me more so far this year than every other put together.  WR we have a few long shot rolls of dice but I expect it's going to be a big FA acquisition next year, as we'll be a more complete team so an established player at cost is more atttractive than a draft prospect.

Actually, make it:

1) Exorcise whatever demons live in the turf that keep injuring players

I'm surprised ILB is not on more peoples list since Freeman is on IR.  Kwiatkowski looks OK as a back up but if Trevathan doesn't stay health we are looking at at Kdwiatkoski and Jones and that does not inspire me at all.

4 minutes ago, Bfan said:

I'm surprised ILB is not on more peoples list since Freeman is on IR.  Kwiatkowski looks OK as a back up but if Trevathan doesn't stay health we are looking at at Kdwiatkoski and Jones and that does not inspire me at all.

Jones had a very good preseason.

Archived