2019 Coaching Carousel Thread

Texansfan713

16 hours ago, gohogs14 said:

Arkansas apparently offered Campbell $7 million per year but he turned it down. Fuente is from Tulsa and VT fans wanted him fired earlier this year so I could see that but still don't think it's going to happen. And I mean Leach is at Washington State but don't think he'd fit in with the Arkansas boosters. I feel like he expresses interest in every open job lol.

Lots of smoke lately on Kiffin. Jerry Jones has offered to pony up a lot of money for assistants no matter who the hire is this time around, just hope the rest of our BOT can stay out of our AD's way and let him do his job.

Agreed on Fuente. The calls were way too early, but VT did look pretty bad. That being said, they finished strong and he's too good of a coach to oust that quickly. I imagine he'll be around a bit. The ACC has some knockout coaches right now and even if it takes VT another year or so to be truly competitive, I don't see the upside in letting a proven commodity like him go.

Leach has job security, if that's what you mean. But Wazzu is awful for recruiting. I know he's not the most popular amongst some circles, but give him almost any other Pac12 job and I doubt he'd ever be looking at 6-6 anyway. I personally wanted him for Oregon when Taggart ran home (though I was perfectly happy when Cristobal got the job). Give Leach Oregon's name and resources and he's probably having an offense that could rival Oklahoma year in-year out (though, the same was said for Chip Kelly and it hasn't happened as fast, so...). I figure Leach is just waiting for the right phone call. 

If Arkansas goes for Kiffin....man, they're desperate. It could be the Raider in me, but I just can't see him ever succeeding at a big school. Either way, I always find it strange that Arkansas is at such a disadvantage. They have the SEC card, they're not in a terrible location for recruiting, the campus is nice, I'd rank Fayetteville over Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, College Station, Starkville, Lexington, Gainesville, and both Columbias (maybe even Oxford since everything outside of the city limits is an armpit) in terms of aesthetics and weather (granted, personal opinion having been to all the SEC schools on several occasions), and they have a decent alumni/booster setup. Seems like everything needed to attract recruits and coaches with ease. 

Rutgers on a spending spree. Last year Bama paid 5.99 million to their staff. Ohio St 7.06 million.

The deal, unanimously approved Tuesday morning and obtained by NJ.com, runs eight years and is worth $32 million. The buyout stands at 76.875 percent of his remaining contract, starting at $24.6 million. That formula would then decrease the buyout to:

— $18.45 million if he’s fired after the 2021 season
— $15.375 million after 2022
— $12.3 million after 2023
— $9.225 million after 2024
— $6.15 million after 2025
— $3.075 million after 2026
— nothing after the final year of his contract, 2027

On Schiano’s end, he would owe $8 million if he leaves before Dec. 1 of next year and decreasing by $2 million a year until 2025, when it flattens to $1 million.

Rutgers will provide $7.7 million to pay Schiano’s staff, increasing by 3 percent a year.

22 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I view Arkansas as the hardest job in the country to succeed at. Recruiting is brutal when Bama, Auburn, LSU and A&M can all bring in top 10 classes. They havent had a top 8 in the SEC recruiting class in the past decade that Ive checked.  Fuente has a gold mine at VT if he succeeds. Campbell can pretty much name his place atm. Leach has it made at Wash St. To rebuild and succeed at Arkansas, theres no tougher coaching job right now. I think it scares a lot of good coaches off. Last couple were successful coaches that went there and failed.

I wouldn't consider Morris a successful coach. He was 14-22 at SMU. Bielema eventually failed but he was very close to winning 9-10 games in 2014 and 2015, had a lot of NFL talent on those rosters but underachieved and lost more close games than any other coach I can remember us having there for a while.

Nutt won the SEC West twice and Petrino finished #5 in the country his last year. We don't have great in-state recruiting but we recruit along the same lines as Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and South Carolina and better than Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy. If we are a hard job then those are too, granted three of those play in the east so it may be a different circumstance. Last year's class finished exactly one spot behind Ole Miss and one spot ahead of MSU. Traditionally we are better than both of those schools but it is a tougher job right now than it normally is just because we're in the worst stretch in school history after some bad coaching hires and it will take some time to rebuild. But I don't see any reason why a good coach can't win 7-8 games here most years with the occasional 9-10 every 5 or so years. It's understandable having a 4-8 season too at times but going 2-10 in back to back years is unprecedented territory for us. We never even finished last in the SEC West before Bielema did it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gohogs14 said:

I wouldn't consider Morris a successful coach. He was 14-22 at SMU. Bielema eventually failed but he was very close to winning 9-10 games in 2014 and 2015, had a lot of NFL talent on those rosters but underachieved and lost more close games than any other coach I can remember us having there for a while.

Nutt won the SEC West twice and Petrino finished #5 in the country his last year. We don't have great in-state recruiting but we recruit along the same lines as Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and South Carolina and better than Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy. If we are a hard job then those are too, granted three of those play in the east so it may be a different circumstance. Last year's class finished exactly one spot behind Ole Miss and one spot ahead of MSU. Traditionally we are better than both of those schools but it is a tougher job right now than it normally is just because we're in the worst stretch in school history after some bad coaching hires and it will take some time to rebuild. But I don't see any reason why a good coach can't win 7-8 games here most years with the occasional 9-10 every 5 or so years. It's understandable having a 4-8 season too at times but going 2-10 in back to back years is unprecedented territory for us. We never even finished last in the SEC West before Bielema did it.

I agree. Yall should be expecting 7-8 wins automatically. With 9+ sprinkled in here and there. But like Bronco at UVA had a history of being a solid coach, was a great hire to totally rebuild a destroyed program. Hes at year 4 with 9 wins in the worst division of all the Power5. Stick them in the SECW and theyre looking like MSU at 6-6. Especially with a A&M team that can recruit top 15-20 classes added to the mix now. Rebuilding from scratch is rough. Im thinking 4-5 years even with a great coaching hire.

16 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Rutgers on a spending spree. Last year Bama paid 5.99 million to their staff. Ohio St 7.06 million.

The deal, unanimously approved Tuesday morning and obtained by NJ.com, runs eight years and is worth $32 million. The buyout stands at 76.875 percent of his remaining contract, starting at $24.6 million. That formula would then decrease the buyout to:

— $18.45 million if he’s fired after the 2021 season
— $15.375 million after 2022
— $12.3 million after 2023
— $9.225 million after 2024
— $6.15 million after 2025
— $3.075 million after 2026
— nothing after the final year of his contract, 2027

On Schiano’s end, he would owe $8 million if he leaves before Dec. 1 of next year and decreasing by $2 million a year until 2025, when it flattens to $1 million.

Rutgers will provide $7.7 million to pay Schiano’s staff, increasing by 3 percent a year.

So this would mean that in 3 years Schiano could leave for a different school and Rutgers would be compensated $2 mio? While if they would want to fire Schiano  at that point in time they still would have to pay him $15 mio ?

Looking at the numbers it almost makes Schiano unfireable untill 2025.

21 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Hell yeah

I'm not surprised about that. Campbell is a midwest guy. Would have liked so see him at FSU but I can understand the reasons especially with out unstable situation right now. He does have a junior QB next year so with a 9-10 win season I see him at an elite program or NFL in 2021.