2019 Coaching Carousel Thread

Texansfan713

2 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I think it can work. I mean, Mario Cristobal was technically the co-OC at Oregon before he was named the HC but he wasn't calling plays. He's worked out well for us to say the least.

I don't know about this guy but I don't think him being a position coach means he'll suck as a HC.

Mario had had 6 seasons of experience as a head coach before Oregon. 

But he did make the jump from position coach to HC beforehand. But doing so at FIU isn't the same as doing it an an SEC school. They have to be recruiting masters at that point to hope for even limited success. 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Mario had had 6 seasons of experience as a head coach before Oregon. 

But he did make the jump from position coach to HC beforehand. But doing so at FIU isn't the same as doing it an an SEC school. They have to be recruiting masters at that point to hope for even limited success. 

All I said is that him jumping from position coach to HC doesn’t mean he won’t be successful. Doesn’t mean he will be successful either.

21 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Might have jinxed yourself there. But how might Oregon make out without Arroyo? He easily replaceable or difficult to match?

UNLV is a death sentence, place is a pit I wouldn't go there if I had higher aspirations... basically ever. The last winning coach they had, winning coach, was Ron Meyer in 1975. No other coach has left with a winning record or gone on to a higher job.

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

UNLV is a death sentence, place is a pit I wouldn't go there if I had higher aspirations... basically ever. The last winning coach they had, winning coach, was Ron Meyer in 1975. No other coach has left with a winning record or gone on to a higher job.

I just saw ESPN report that Arroyo is official.  This is a crazy move for him.  That OC job at Oregon is worth more in prestige and money than the job at UNLV.  He would've been wise to stay another year there and continue to work his resume.  

Appalachian State is promoting Shawn Clark to head coach 

Clark, who had been the Mountaineers' offensive line coach the past four seasons, replaces Eliah Drinkwitz, who was named Missouri's coach earlier this week.

Drinkwitz guided Appalachian State to a 12-1 record and the Sun Belt Conference championship this season in his first year as a head coach. The Mountaineers finished ranked No. 20 in the College Football Playoff rankings and will play UAB in the New Orleans Bowl on Dec. 21. Clark will coach that game.

Clark, 44, was a two-time All-American (1996 and 1998) at offensive guard for Appalachian State. After graduating from Appalachian State in 1998, he was a graduate assistant at Louisville, then an assistant at Eastern Kentucky, Purdue and Kent State before being hired by the Mountaineers in 2016. He was named assistant head coach in 2019.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28278117/appalachian-state-promotes-shawn-clark-head-coach

Colorado State hires Steve Adazzio as new head coach.  I don't know what they wanted after Mike Bobo's tenure, as they did go with someone older with experience.   But they also passed over Butch Jones and Ryan Day's current OC at Ohio State.  Apparently Urban Meyer helped with the selection of candidates and had a lot of positive information about Adazzio. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28276976/colorado-state-hires-steve-addazio-mike-bobo-replacement

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I just saw ESPN report that Arroyo is official.  This is a crazy move for him.  That OC job at Oregon is worth more in prestige and money than the job at UNLV.  He would've been wise to stay another year there and continue to work his resume.  

It's impossible to do well there. The facilities suck, the field sucks (who the **** wants to play football in an open air stadium in Nevada!), there is zero "brand", the state is empty and what little talent there is goes to Nevada or Utah or one of the Cali schools. You can't win there, kids don't wanna spend 4 years in Vegas once they see "oh yeah Vegas kinda sucks if you're here for more than 3 days and aren't rich". I will never get why FBS coordinators take the job, it's a death sentence.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan
  • Like 1