2019 Coaching Carousel Thread

Texansfan713

42 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

It's impossible to do well there. The facilities suck, the field sucks (who the **** wants to play football in an open air stadium in Nevada!), there is zero "brand", the state is empty and what little talent there is goes to Nevada or Utah or one of the Cali schools. You can't win there, kids don't wanna spend 4 years in Vegas once they see "oh yeah Vegas kinda sucks if you're here for more than 3 days and aren't rich". I will never get why FBS coordinators take the job, it's a death sentence.

They just opened a new football complex a couple months ago as far as facilities go.

But some coaches find strange places that theyre happy being at long term. Bo at YTown St. Fleck with Minn, Clawson with WakeForest and Campbell at Iowa St when all could have their choice of school. Bronco wanted UVA because he wanted the challenge, he could have had way better jobs.

9 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

They just opened a new football complex a couple months ago as far as facilities go.

But some coaches find strange places that theyre happy being at long term. Bo at YTown St. Fleck with Minn, Clawson with WakeForest and Campbell at Iowa St when all could have their choice of school. Bronco wanted UVA because he wanted the challenge, he could have had way better jobs.

Speaking of, I am actually very surprised that Niamatalolo didn't leave Navy when Bronco left BYU.  I thought for sure he would want to go coach his son and be further west but he's dedicated to this program and hasn't been rumored for jobs since.  

8 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

It's impossible to do well there. The facilities suck, the field sucks (who the **** wants to play football in an open air stadium in Nevada!), there is zero "brand", the state is empty and what little talent there is goes to Nevada or Utah or one of the Cali schools. You can't win there, kids don't wanna spend 4 years in Vegas once they see "oh yeah Vegas kinda sucks if you're here for more than 3 days and aren't rich". I will never get why FBS coordinators take the job, it's a death sentence.

They will be playing in the new Allegiant Stadium next year. But I get what you’re saying. 

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Speaking of, I am actually very surprised that Niamatalolo didn't leave Navy when Bronco left BYU.  I thought for sure he would want to go coach his son and be further west but he's dedicated to this program and hasn't been rumored for jobs since.  

I would love Niumatalolo at UNLV.  Really push the "Running Rebels" moniker. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Vegas sucks the moment you become a functioning adult and realize that strippers don't like you, and the house always wins.

I have no idea why it's considered appealing for anyone except Mark Davis, and he just probably likes that there is a PF Changs.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Vegas sucks the moment you become a functioning adult and realize that strippers don't like you, and the house always wins.

That goes for most places though. Im from Trinidad. I cant phantom anyone wanting to be at any cold weather school. Syracuse, Michigan, Minn, Wis. Insane to me, give me the desert and dry heat. And practicing outdoors in August in Miss, Bama, Louisiana, Texas. Like being in a pressure cooker.

A remote desert place like Lubbock has done well when having the right coach. Vegas is just another city when you take away the strip.

Idk guys, UNLV is opening their new facilities and the Raiders are coming (booooo!). Arroyo has decent credentials having been at various schools coast to coast and in the NFL for a stint. He can probably recruit the 3* Cali and Florida areas, and I know from friends around Hattiesburg that he still carries some deep south clout from his time at USM. 

Vegas might suck for adults, but lets be real- it's better than Starkville, Lubbock, etc. To a kid from podunk, it's glitz and glamor. He might just have the marketability to get some success going. It's good timing, if nothing else, and if he rights that ship, he's probably rubber stamped to his choice of P5 schools in a couple of years. 

Memphis is taking the interim tag off Ryan Silverfield, as he will be the next head coach.  Not a surprise from me, he should be able to continue the good things that Norvelle was doing with that program.  

Pretty interesting that a couple of the jobs this off-season have seen someone elevated to head coach from the current staff.  This is the third I think, after Washington and Appalachian State

Silverfield served as Memphis' deputy head coach this season under Norvell, as the Tigers went 12-1 and won an American Athletic Conference championship. He has been on the Memphis staff for the past four seasons. Silverfield also has coached with Toledo and the NFL's Detroit Lions and Minnesota Vikings.

"Mike Norvell gave me this opportunity to come with him [to Memphis]," Silverfield said. "Let it be known that I am so thankful for Mike Norvell. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't be here. His friendship, his trust. I will value him until the day I die."

Read More: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28290721/memphis-promotes-ryan-silverfield-head-coach