2019 Coaching Carousel Thread

Texansfan713

29 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Virginia Tech's Justin Fuente is the favorite for the Baylor job 

That would be a wild move. Maybe it's just because I grew up with good VT teams and Baylor as a joke, but I can't fathom a coach making that move. Especially since you're in a conference with one team right now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

interesting...

thats a step down imo.

I would tend to agree, but I could also see someone making the argument that it's a lateral move, if not a small push in the positive direction given the states of the programs right now.  I am concerned that Fuente hasn't done as much as he should have with VT at this point.  

Also, I should clarify that one place that reported this said he was a finalist, and another place reported he is set to interview.  But there is mutual interest.  

9 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

That would be a wild move. Maybe it's just because I grew up with good VT teams and Baylor as a joke, but I can't fathom a coach making that move. Especially since you're in a conference with one team right now.

Eh, he'd be moving into a potential top-10/15 program in a fertile recruiting ground. Baylor is easily the 2nd or 3rd best program in the Big12. The ACC has some really solid coaches- Dabo, Brown, Mendenhall, Cutcliffe, Norvell, yada yada. 

Lincoln Riley to the NFL seems almost inevitable within a year or two. Campbell is likely to move onto a better program before long (Baylor > Iowa St anyway), Mike Gundy seems to be losing some steam, Patterson hasn't had the easiest go at TCU in a couple of years, Wells and Brown and Klieman are relative unknowns but all are at programs decidedly underneath Baylor at the moment, and Herman can't seem to take Texas over the hump. Les, meanwhile, took Kansas last year because....reasons?

With the ACC programs, he could fall into a 3rd/4th place rut in the Coastal division as easily as he could win it. Virginia, NC, and Pitt are pretty stiff competition and Miami/G-Tech have their moments. The ACC as a whole seems increasingly difficult to navigate outside of being Clemson. 

A move to Baylor eliminates the division issue for now and arguably puts him in a better position playoff/bowl selection wise. He would benefit from what Rhule left behind, giving him a fairly solid head start on the rest of the conference outside of Oklahoma, who Baylor arguably has a better chance to compete with than V-Tech has against Clemson right now. 

My theory for coaches like Fuentes follows pretty simple plan- slide into a P5 school and bulk up the resume, scan the other conferences, seriously consider a job in a conference that doesn't have single team absolutely dominating recruiting and on the field. Right now, Clemson far and away does this. So, the ACC is a good launching pad, but don't stick behind a Clemson team so long your own shine wears off. Avoid the SEC, particularly the West. Alabama and LSU too much a stranglehold there right now, and the prime jobs all seem secure. What opens up opens up for a reason. Conversely, the Big12 doesn't have an absolute monster right now. Oklahoma is close, but we saw last season that the gap between them, Baylor, Texas, etc isn't LSU-Ole Miss wide. Same with the Pac12. There is no surefire pick to dominate the conference right now on a yearly basis. 

If there's an offer from Baylor, I'd jump all over it if I'm Fuentes. The money is probably comparable, but even if not, it's at that amount where you're splitting hairs over nothing. Besides, Baylor isn't going to lowball him if there's serious intrigue. So, money matters out of the picture, he'd be better positioned for on-field success- which leads to more money, a more prestigious program offer, NFL offers, etc. And the timing seems right for that.

Just my two-cents though. 

Edited by ronjon1990

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Notre Dame QB coach Tom Rees is now their offensive coordinator.  

Meanwhile, Todd Monken, who was rumored to be involved in their search, is also rumored to be a potential addition to UGA's offensive staff, as he is not expected to be retained by the Browns. 

No, **** off, he was "Tommy" when he played he's "Tommy" now, you don't get to choose Tommy!