Texans will not hire a GM in 2020

Pastor Dillon

Really is a non story - are we supposed to say "no, we still plan on hiring Caserio?" Tampering is still a thing.  O'Brien has all the power in this organization and that won't change whether someone has a GM title or not.  He's gotten the past two fired in the past two years, so it's not like it's not clear who the Houston GM works for at this point.  FWIW - outside of the Pats, HCs with this much personnel power has never worked out long-term and that includes guys way higher up on the "genius" totem pole than O'Brien like Holmgren, Reid, etc.  Adam Gase ought to be the cautionary tale of letting a guy with limited on field success take over the shopping too.  Sean Payton is the closest there is to Belichick and he's got TWO solid GM's in Loomis and Ireland (Asst GM) helping out.

If Caserio wants a GM title, he'll come here to be the HEB cubside delivery for O'Brien's shopping list, but I don't think anyone in any football organization ever has willingly given up control and power once given.  I'd be shocked if Tampa Bay didn't fire Licht after this season and beleive it or not that's a pretty attractive GM gig as you'll likely get to rebuild the roster with a a new QB and a great offensive coach.  I still think that this might be Brady and Belichick's swan song with Caserio taking over as an actual GM, McDaniels HC & lil Stevie Belichick as DC.  FWIW - The Pats excel at Pro Player Evaluation, not so much at drafting, which for my money is where we need the most help.

BTW - The scenario I'll put money on is that Doug Marrone is brought in as Asst Head Coach/Offense when he gets fired next month to free up O'Brien to spend more time on GM stuff.    Dougie will probably get a crack at some of the high profile college gigs (FSU?), but I think an O'Brien/Marrone remarriage would be good for both of them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Apollo Stallion said:

BTW - The scenario I'll put money on is that Doug Marrone is brought in as Asst Head Coach/Offense when he gets fired next month to free up O'Brien to spend more time on GM stuff.    Dougie will probably get a crack at some of the high profile college gigs (FSU?), but I think an O'Brien/Marrone remarriage would be good for both of them.

I either don't hate this idea, or I hate this idea with every fiber in my body. 

I legit don't know.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Disappointing, but I'll withhold judgement for now. My biggest concern is the same as the rest of you, I think: that Bill O'Brien keeps mortgaging the future to make himself look good in the moment and we have a giant cluster to unwind once the house of cards folds.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...