Most Disappointing Units

BleedTheClock

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

Then how come his units always were top 10? That makes no sense.

His units obviously weren't elite every single night but that's not the expectation. Last year's defense got lit up by Bortles. Guess they sucked. 

It was classic bend but don't break. Or bend until you managed to get a turnover.

We got hammered all over the shop, giving up huge gains, giving up 3rd down after 3rd down, and our O NEEDED to be good enough to win shootouts (which mostly it was), but sometimes, we'd pick up a score on D AS WELL. Matt Moore destroyed us, as did Cam, Bortles, McCown - that wouldn't happen this time.

If that's your idea of a good offense, one that gives up a ton, forces your offensive to have to be good, and can score sometimes - I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's not a classic 'good' defensive outlook, IMO.

Just an opinion. Bend like heck, break sometimes, score sometimes, does enough. It was....fine....until it wasnt.

Edited by Hunter2_1

49 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It was classic bend but don't break. Or bend until you managed to get a turnover.

We got hammered all over the shop, giving up huge gains, giving up 3rd down after 3rd down, and our O NEEDED to be good enough to win shootouts (which mostly it was), but sometimes, we'd pick up a score on D AS WELL. Matt Moore destroyed us, as did Cam, Bortles, McCown - that wouldn't happen this time.

If that's your idea of a good offense, one that gives up a ton, forces your offensive to have to be good, and can score sometimes - I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's not a classic 'good' defensive outlook, IMO.

Just an opinion. Bend like heck, break sometimes, score sometimes, does enough. It was....fine....until it wasnt.

A good defensive outlook is one that doesn't give up that many points. Over Patricia's time as DC they gave up 3.43 points per game less than the league average. They always were a top 10 scoring defense. Every single season.

Are they this year's Patriots defense? Of course not. But to call the Patricia New England defenses terrible is hilarious. There was never a season they were worse than above average. Statistically, the only season they were elite was 2016. But the original post I responded to acted like they were last year's Chiefs.

5 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

A good defensive outlook is one that doesn't give up that many points. Over Patricia's time as DC they gave up 3.43 points per game less than the league average. They always were a top 10 scoring defense. Every single season.

Now take a look at how long our Offense had the ball per game. I don't put much stock in the points given up. Points scored is different, yeah, that's obviously awesome

5 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Are they this year's Patriots defense? Of course not. But to call the Patricia New England defenses terrible is hilarious. There was never a season they were worse than above average. Statistically, the only season they were elite was 2016. But the original post I responded to acted like they were last year's Chiefs.

I never called them terrible. They weren't terrible, they just gave up a ton of yardage. It's not what I'd call a good defense.

In 2017; 29th in yards, 31st in yards per play, 30th yards per rush, 30th passing yards, 25 yards per pass...

That's NOT good. It's like people are saying it was a top 10 defense because of ONE metric, scoring. Is this right?

I'm far more comfortable and bullish with this kind of defense we have now.

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

In 2017; 29th in yards, 31st in yards per play, 30th yards per rush, 30th passing yards, 25 yards per pass...

That's NOT good. It's like people are saying it was a top 10 defense because of ONE metric, scoring. Is this right?

I'm far more comfortable and bullish with this kind of defense we have now.

Yards doesn't matter. The goal of the game is to put up points. In theory, you'd love your defense to give up less yards to set-up your offense with better field position but that is a fairly greedy ask. If the defense isn't giving up points, they are doing their job.

If NE was bottom 3 in bulk yardage, it doesn't matter if the other team isn't converting that yardage into points. I didn't watch a ton of NE so couldn't reconcile that off head. Would guess they were elite at redzone defense, turnovers, or both. 

And I would be more comfortable too with one of the best defenses of all time. 

• Like 1