Most Disappointing Units

BleedTheClock

On 2019-12-02 at 4:49 AM, LeotheLion said:

Patricia was the DC for 6 years. Patriots were top 10 in scoring defense all 6 seasons. Top 5 twice and first one year. 

Guess that is terrible... 

Patriots always played with a lead due to their offense. That makes the opposition offense 1 dimensional, and easier for a defense to play against

The Pats regularly played "Bend, don't break" limiting the other teams, but they'd still cut up the defenses regularly

5 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Patriots always played with a lead due to their offense. That makes the opposition offense 1 dimensional, and easier for a defense to play against

The Pats regularly played "Bend, don't break" limiting the other teams, but they'd still cut up the defenses regularly

That makes sense to an extent. But if that's the case and teams marching down the field as the yardage numbers indicate then where were the points? Did teams just go for it on 4th a ton? It's a little baffling to me because the Pats weren't even that great at forcing turnovers that year. 

Thinking of the Rams when our offense was strong, we gave up a lot of cheap points with a lead because we were a touch more conservative. From watching the Pats this year, that doesn't seem to be their style. 

On 3/12/2019 at 7:36 AM, wwhickok said:

Preseason Super Bowl Champion Cleveland Browns aka Eliminated from Playoffs by the team that both started it and finished it Cleveland Browns have got to top the list. They are probably looking at finishing 8-8 at best probably worse and their QB has given them more questions than answers not to mention their HC is a confused moron.

Baker hasnt elevated his play, he is giving what he gets, sometimes a bit more. 

Nothing like deshaun watson who is doing the most with anaverage or worse coach 

2 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

That makes sense to an extent. But if that's the case and teams marching down the field as the yardage numbers indicate then where were the points? Did teams just go for it on 4th a ton? It's a little baffling to me because the Pats weren't even that great at forcing turnovers that year. 

Thinking of the Rams when our offense was strong, we gave up a lot of cheap points with a lead because we were a touch more conservative. From watching the Pats this year, that doesn't seem to be their style. 

I'm not talking this year, I'm talking from back when Patricia was the DC

Teams would settle for FG's early in games, then end up going for it on 4th down later in games when they were down 2+ scores

14-0 becomes 14-3, then 14-6, then 21-6, 24-13, 31-13 Then throw in a couple of 4 down ending drives and that would be ballgame

4 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

I hope the Raiders cut him in the offseason.

So they will regret it down the line for not believing in him. 

That’s not what I was advocating outright and being ridiculous.

If we are in position to upgrade the position via draft Tua slides or vet. Gruden will be putting in work evaluating the QB position to move on. If Kyler slid to our pick Gruden was going to grab him.

we have been believing in him and it’s year 6 with more regression. At this point it’s like having Cutler. We know what He can and can’t do. If the opportunity to grab the guy you want you do it. Gruden and Mayock will be looking on to upgrade the position if we are in position 

32 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

I'm not talking this year, I'm talking from back when Patricia was the DC

Teams would settle for FG's early in games, then end up going for it on 4th down later in games when they were down 2+ scores

14-0 becomes 14-3, then 14-6, then 21-6, 24-13, 31-13 Then throw in a couple of 4 down ending drives and that would be ballgame

I realize you are talking about Patricia. I suppose I consider that good defense. The 2017 year in question the Patriots had a rough first 4 games both in points and yards. Then gave up 14 ppg the last 12. That type of defense will win a ton of games. 

5 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I realize you are talking about Patricia. I suppose I consider that good defense. The 2017 year in question the Patriots had a rough first 4 games both in points and yards. Then gave up 14 ppg the last 12. That type of defense will win a ton of games. 

At the end of the day, points allowed are all that really matter... The Cowboys defense is terrible to watch, but for whatever reason they don't allow a ton of points against. they play a similar "Bend, don't break" "Keep everything in front of you" "No big plays" style

• Like 1

On 02/12/2019 at 12:57 PM, DerbyRam said:

The Rams OL: we lost Sullivan and Saffold. We've had tons of injuries. It's just been a mess all season. We've really not had one player who you could say has even played average. We're struggling to run the ball, the pass protection is non-existent. It's really hindered us this season, more so than anything else. Goff and Gurley really haven't had much support. It's a credit to them, more so Goff, that we're 7-5. It needs to be addressed in the off-season. 

To reiterate this... I posted in the PFF topic our OL grading from this season: 

Andrew Whitworth - 70.5 - 803 snaps
Brian Allen - 55.4 - 563 snaps
Austin Corbett - 52.1 - 248 snaps
Rob Havenstein - 50.9 - 616 snaps
Dave Edwards - 54.8 - 395 snaps
Austin Blythe - 46.7 - 702 snaps
Jamil Demby - 26.4 - 146 snaps
Bobby Evans - 54.7 - 188 snaps
Coleman Shelton - 46.5 snaps - 22 snaps 
Joesph Noteboom - 39.7 - 376 snaps

+90 is elite. 80-90 is high quality. 70-80 is average. 60-70 is below average. 0-60 is poor. 

It paints quite the picture! 

The Patriots wide receivers went from looking like the best unit in the league (Antonio Brown, Josh Gordon, Julian Edelman) to being one of the worst. Julian Edelman is the only man that stands between them and being the worst group in the league at the minute, even with the acquisition of Sanu. There's some potential there with Harry and Meyers, but right now it's not there. 

Titans OL easily. Obviously not all sacks are on the OL but 49x the QB has been sacked this year. With how money they’re making and the amount of picks invested, they should be one of the best in the league. They can’t pick up stunts to save their lives and it’s not their they’re starting numerous rookies. Nate Davis is the only rookie at RG but they’re loaded with vets in Lewan, Saffold, Jones, and Conklin. Absolutely no reason for this unit to be this bad in pass-pro.