Raves takeaways from Week 1

Raves

To many fans looking in the wrong places... Theres talent on this team, its the coaching!

The NFL has caught up to Paytons offense and hes lost his identity of what he wants to be offensively. The pressure is mounting for Payton and you can feel it. He made some really bad play calls and in game and pre game decisions that backfired on him big time. This is the 3rd year in a row hes stressed the importance of getting off to a fast start only to look like his still just coming out of OTAs.

Dennis Allen is a good enough guy but hes not equipped to handle this job, particularly with Payton constantly handicapping the rebuild efforts of the defense. As an actual DC i think Allens avarage and he has an average staff and thats not gonna get this team where it needs to be in the time frame it needs to get there.

I hate when people trash on Loomis... The one time Loomis had full control over thr team and all aspects he hired a no name HC and he and his staff built a superbowl roster. Since 2010 Payton and his cronies have mangled this roster and salary cap to the point of no return. Payton recieved personnel power in 2010 which reglauted Loomis to a cap guy. Sure he made the deals but he signed the players PAYTON demanded. On top of that, Brees greed didnt make matters any easier on Loomis either. Im not saying Loomis is without fault here but his hands are the least dirty of the Payton, Brees, Loomis trio.

My honest assesment of the state of this franchise is that a losing season would be a godsend for the future of this franchise. The division is already so young and talented outside of the Saints. This upcoming draft has 3-4 potential 1st round quarterbacks. The Saints have a nice young nuculas of offensive lineman and running backs to build around. They also possess a solid young recieving core. They have alot of the peices in place to bring in a young quarterback and a offensive coordinator with an actual identity. As far as the defense, moving fwd we need to make that side of fhe ball high piorioty by hiring a young defensive mind as the next head coach. Im on record for 2 years now gloating over Lions DC Tyrell Austin. 

To me its time to move fwd beyind Payton and beyond Brees. Thier mad scramble to make chicken salad out of chicken **** has killed the devolopment of these players and the more they seem to try and help, the more the team regresses...

Weve cut and traded players, fired assisstant coach after assistant coach. Its time we point the finger at the real problem.

9 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

My honest assesment of the state of this franchise is that a losing season would be a godsend for the future of this franchise. 

There's a topic in the General Forum; "What does your team need to accomplish this season to make you happy?"

My response: Lose, a lot. :D

To me its time to move fwd beyind Payton and beyond Brees. 

Weve cut and traded players, fired assisstant coach after assistant coach. Its time we point the finger at the real problem.

I think there's a few of us here that have been calling for Payton's head for about 3 years now. Preachin to the choir brother Worm. I'd love to get some new blood in there on the coaching side. Maybe a defensive minded coach.

10 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I hate when people trash on Loomis...

Same. I've got no qualms with Loomis. He took us to hell with a HC who couldn't hit on a FA signing to save his life and he brought us back again. He's so uninvolved in what happens on the field I feel like his culpability is negligible. I'd like to see what he could do with a coach and staff that new what they were doing.

8 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

Very impressive.

Yes, very! Just watch him around the other players, he's a natural leader. They all gravitate towards him.

I'm interested in watching this kid develop, wondering if he's going to be the next big player on D. How cool could that be?!

52 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Yes, very! Just watch him around the other players, he's a natural leader. They all gravitate towards him.

I'm interested in watching this kid develop, wondering if he's going to be the next big player on D. How cool could that be?!

Or he's Jenkins 2.0

Our defensive staff will sap the talent out of him, he'll go to another team and take a couple seasons to get back on track before earning a couple pro bowls.

Im interested to know what Vaccaro would do on a more competent team. Wonder if the Chiefs send us a mid round pick for him.

19 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Or he's Jenkins 2.0

Our defensive staff will sap the talent out of him, he'll go to another team and take a couple seasons to get back on track before earning a couple pro bowls.

Sadly, I have the same thoughts when it comes to guys like this.

Vaccarro, Jenkins are just a few. Look at other guys who excel in other systems, whether it's before or after the Saints. Byrd is the first one that comes to mind.

Running backs come to the Saints to die, and the Saints are Kryptonite to their own defensive secondary players. 

On 9/14/2017 at 8:28 AM, Mid Iowa said:

Sadly, I have the same thoughts when it comes to guys like this.

Vaccarro, Jenkins are just a few. Look at other guys who excel in other systems, whether it's before or after the Saints. Byrd is the first one that comes to mind.

Running backs come to the Saints to die, and the Saints are Kryptonite to their own defensive secondary players. 

The Saints approach to defense has always been... Just throw a bunch of guy together and make it work. Theres really NEVER been an actual plan ie scheme to build around. They have never truly made defense their top priority under Payton and they never will and i hate to bust alot of yalls bubbles here but i agree with that golfer Payton had in the war room this last year who said that had he been available Mahommes wouldnhave been the Saints pick. Had Payton drafted a 1st round QB in the top 11 he would have bought himself at least 2 more years reguardless of what happens this year. The Chiefs and Andy Ried jumped up for a reason and i think its because they knew the Saints coveted Mahomes. 

The idea that teams draft the best availavle player is ridiculous... Men with personnel power draft players that will keep them employed. 

14 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

The Saints approach to defense has always been... Just throw a bunch of guy together and make it work. Theres really NEVER been an actual plan ie scheme to build around. They have never truly made defense their top priority under Payton and they never will and i hate to bust alot of yalls bubbles here but i agree with that golfer Payton had in the war room this last year who said that had he been available Mahommes wouldnhave been the Saints pick. Had Payton drafted a 1st round QB in the top 11 he would have bought himself at least 2 more years reguardless of what happens this year. The Chiefs and Andy Ried jumped up for a reason and i think its because they knew the Saints coveted Mahomes. 

The idea that teams draft the best availavle player is ridiculous... Men with personnel power draft players that will keep them employed. 

I also believe that Mahomes would have been the pick. Now, would that have saved his job if the Saints miss the playoffs this season, I'd hope not. 

You could see they have no plans for what to do on defense just by watching the switch from Rob Ryans first season to his second. From Gregg Williams to Steve Spagnola. 

Logically, drafting to keep your should entail the best player available that fits your team

59 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

^^Right on!!

Draft for your team, not your job!

We all know thats how it should be but realistically its just not gonna happen 100% of the time. Their are always ulterior motives behind every decision made on that level and we'd be nieve to believe otherwise.

3 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

We all know thats how it should be but realistically its just not gonna happen 100% of the time. Their are always ulterior motives behind every decision made on that level and we'd be nieve to believe otherwise.

Yeah, draft picks can be linked to things like ticket sales and merchandise sales. We saw that with Reggie Bush, instant sellout of season tickets.

I just wish it were more like what @SSK wrote. I suppose that's where the GM comes in.

On September 13, 2017 at 6:28 AM, whodatworm23 said:

To many fans looking in the wrong places... Theres talent on this team, its the coaching!

The NFL has caught up to Paytons offense and hes lost his identity of what he wants to be offensively. The pressure is mounting for Payton and you can feel it. He made some really bad play calls and in game and pre game decisions that backfired on him big time. This is the 3rd year in a row hes stressed the importance of getting off to a fast start only to look like his still just coming out of OTAs.

Dennis Allen is a good enough guy but hes not equipped to handle this job, particularly with Payton constantly handicapping the rebuild efforts of the defense. As an actual DC i think Allens avarage and he has an average staff and thats not gonna get this team where it needs to be in the time frame it needs to get there.

I hate when people trash on Loomis... The one time Loomis had full control over thr team and all aspects he hired a no name HC and he and his staff built a superbowl roster. Since 2010 Payton and his cronies have mangled this roster and salary cap to the point of no return. Payton recieved personnel power in 2010 which reglauted Loomis to a cap guy. Sure he made the deals but he signed the players PAYTON demanded. On top of that, Brees greed didnt make matters any easier on Loomis either. Im not saying Loomis is without fault here but his hands are the least dirty of the Payton, Brees, Loomis trio.

My honest assesment of the state of this franchise is that a losing season would be a godsend for the future of this franchise. The division is already so young and talented outside of the Saints. This upcoming draft has 3-4 potential 1st round quarterbacks. The Saints have a nice young nuculas of offensive lineman and running backs to build around. They also possess a solid young recieving core. They have alot of the peices in place to bring in a young quarterback and a offensive coordinator with an actual identity. As far as the defense, moving fwd we need to make that side of fhe ball high piorioty by hiring a young defensive mind as the next head coach. Im on record for 2 years now gloating over Lions DC Tyrell Austin. 

To me its time to move fwd beyind Payton and beyond Brees. Thier mad scramble to make chicken salad out of chicken **** has killed the devolopment of these players and the more they seem to try and help, the more the team regresses...

I agree worm and swat. I've been on the "Payton has over stayed his welcome" campaign for two straight offseason now. I'm sure by the end of week 4 I'll be all in on it once again. I wanted McDermott, Austin, Joseph in that order last offseason. I'm all in on Austin this offseason. Fingers crossed for a 5-11 season and the end of the Payton era in New Orleans!!!

Archived