Fix the Browns

pnies20

7 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Oh dear lord this done gone full circle. Please tell me this ain’t hapnen. @VanS is going to be the savior this team err football forum needs. We’ve been duped that the pedo stache, full on beard, fu man choo baby bottom smooth wearin man hair cat will be replaced by the ever so beautiful looking alien, or other known as:

qBjNSIY-.jpg

Unfortunately you won't be lucky enough to get saved by Dobbs.  The Cleveland Browns seem destined for perpetual dissapointment.

Have fun watching Baker Mayfield hold back what is otherwise a Super Bowl caliber roster.

15 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

1st: AJ Epenesa/DE/Iowa
2nd: Tristin Wirfs/OT/Iowa
3rd: Trey Adams/OTWashington
3rd: Kenny Willekes/DE/Michigan State
4th: Tre Smith/OG/Tennessee
5th: Liam Eichenberg/OT/Notre Dame
6th: Richie Worship/FB/Purdue
7th: David Moa/DT/Boise State

Trenches baby!

EDIT: The sad thing is, this wouldn't even really be overkill.

LOVE THIS. We just need an Iowa TE or 2 to go with it. We need safety help, but I'm not sure that it's there in the draft/FA this year either. Gotta roll with what we got and up our pass rush depth and hope to take some stress off of our S/CB in 2020.

15 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

1st: AJ Epenesa/DE/Iowa
2nd: Tristin Wirfs/OT/Iowa
3rd: Trey Adams/OTWashington
3rd: Kenny Willekes/DE/Michigan State
4th: Tre Smith/OG/Tennessee
5th: Liam Eichenberg/OT/Notre Dame
6th: Richie Worship/FB/Purdue
7th: David Moa/DT/Boise State

Trenches baby!

EDIT: The sad thing is, this wouldn't even really be overkill.

I mean, this is fun and all but there’s absolutely no way in hell 4 of our 8-9 offensive linemen are going to be rookies.

I think 2 is about the most I could see Dorsey being cool with tbh.

I think we need 2 solid OL prospects this year as well as a FA who can step in and play week 1. 

I also can’t see spending a draft pick on a FB while completely ignoring the entire defensive backfield.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, this is fun and all but there’s absolutely no way in hell 4 of our 8-9 offensive linemen are going to be rookies.

I think 2 is about the most I could see Dorsey being cool with tbh.

I think we need 2 solid OL prospects this year as well as a FA who can step in and play week 1. 

I also can’t see spending a draft pick on a FB while completely ignoring the entire defensive backfield.  

I literally decided to do a mock draft of only trench players. It’s not realistic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

Side note: this guy’s stuff is great. 100% worth your time. 

Great video.

It's nice to see a video that backs up a lot of what we have all been saying in this forum with stats.  I think we really got away from that formula for success last game, but I'd have to see the game again to back that up.  Maybe the Steelers just took away a lot of that quick passing game success, but I think that when you run the ball at the clip we did in the 2nd half there is no reason for the Steelers to stack instead of penetrate against our o-line.

Also I think the question persists if Baker is simply ineffective in deep drops or if our line is so horrendous there's nothing he would be able to do anyways.  Probably a bit of both.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, VanS said:

Unfortunately you won't be lucky enough to get saved by Dobbs.  The Cleveland Browns seem destined for perpetual dissapointment.

Have fun watching Baker Mayfield hold back what is otherwise a Super Bowl caliber roster.

This hurts because you have such good takes.

• Like 3

On 12/3/2019 at 10:39 PM, hornbybrown said:

How long is Freddie’s contract? 

Though i don't actually think firing him is the right decision.

When you change head coaches, the new coach normally wants to bring in their own staff.

Our defensive coordinator is decent (though he needs to stop trying to run zone so much)

Our special teams coordinator is great.

Our offensive line coach is great.

If anything we should give freddie a shot at being a HC and JUST a HC.

He has made some bad decisions, but he just seems like hes in over his head calling plays and running the team.

Let Monken call plays, or give the duties to someone else, but keep freddie and the staff and see if they can improve.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

Side note: this guy’s stuff is great. 100% worth your time. 

Good stuff. What I get out of this guy's analysis is that Baker excels on predetermined throws and struggles if that 1st read is covered. Also shows that he needs plenty of space to operate and struggles to smartly manipulate a pocket with poise. iow those are just typical bad QB traits.

There have been plenty of quick throw designs this year from Freddy similar to last year, not just in the last few games, but I think defenses are playing for this and taking away that quick throw. When this happens Mayfield either still throws it in there or holds it and struggles to anticipate where the ball needs to go next, and then gets into a panicky scramble.

Not sure I agree that you don't start reading a defense until you finish your drop. Slow feet don't automatically indicate slow eyes. (Hello Bernie.) There's anticipation. I'd say its more a matter of getting in a position to make a good enough throw. The better QBs throw from all platforms.

We all get that Freddy hasn't been the greatest playcaller and that the OT's aren't good pass blockers. That still doesn't explain why Baker is one of the worst passers this season out of a clean pocket. I think the key issue is that everyone, from the top of the organization to the bottom, expected Baker to play great. We expected him to throw accurately, stay poised in the pocket, step up or scramble when necessary, limit unforced errors, and make the guys around him better. Just hasn't happened. And it's not because Freddy was calling too many 5 step drops.

Truth be told, even in that 3 game win streak, Baker threw some potentially back breaking passes but was just lucky enough to not have them intercepted.

• Like 1

The biggest failure this year has been not establishing an identity.

It’s like we want to be tough, but the players can’t differentiate tough from aggressive but sloppy.

We want to be a run first team, but OBJ/Juice/Baker, etc.

We want to air it out, but we haven’t done it well.

We try to keep everyone happy as opposed to just running an offense.

13 games in and I still have no clue what their objective is week to week.

• Like 3