Fix the Browns

pnies20

10 hours ago, Mind Character said:

For me, as much as I have fun entertaining myself on the forum I really really don't want to be doom and gloom about Freddie b/c I know changing coaches will set us back some at a critical time, but it's really hard to come up with defensible answers for so many of our approaches.

For me, it's not even the W/L's. The team was kind of over it's skis. But the QB regression, OBJ regression, lack of discipline, and Steelers incident are together really indefensible and pretty damning.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

How the **** is Jarvis a diva?

How can you even ask this.

21 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh for sure, but it’s also on the FO.

Assembling this group of personalities and expecting a rookie HC to whip them into shape is a big ask.

I get Dorsey doesn’t seem to care about character a ton, but maybe he needs focus on it a bit more.

It was a big ask. But a superstar franchise QB was supposed to make it a whole lot easier.

12 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Im not a Freddie apologist or think he deserves no blame, I’m just not ready for another one and done coaching debacle and ready to assume more turnover and chaos fixes things.

I think it’s been pretty clear for a month or two now that there’s no way Freddie can come back next year as the OC.  HC?  Sure.  But we need to let someone else run this offense.

Freddy desperately needs an experienced assistant HC for sure if he returns. Completely agree about the prospect of another turnover, but damn if Freddy hasn't asked for it. He needs to drastically tighten up the ship but I'm not sure he knows how to.

11 hours ago, Mind Character said:

The madness of it all is that our passing game when it opens up is predicated off the play-action which is made more potent by being run first and having the run serve as the foundation to build the passing game upon.

We ran the ball 5 or 6 times in the first half on a defense that is in the bottom 3 in run defense. 

I don't know how to explain that other than a serious fundamental issue in the coordinator either lacking awareness, understanding, or the discipline to call the game to the strength of the team.

The 49ers are run first and have that identity. They control pace and tempo via the run first mentality which opens up their play-action game and passing to be a rhythm based force.

That's the template.

The things Kyle Shannahan would do with the pieces we have would simply be magical. 

Its not unheard of for a run first team to come out and pass, pass, pass. It's about misdirection. If you're sure the defense is sitting on the run, you think you can beat them with a change up. Shanny does it all the time. Ultimately, you'll still end up running the ball a lot by the end of the game. The problem comes if you can't complete those passes. Then you look like an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing.

What Freddy's done with the running game, particularly with Chubb and Hunt, are the best things he's done with this offense.

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Also, maybe I’m delusional, but why can’t we do what the Carolina Panthers did when they got DeAngelo Williams and Johanthan Stewart?

They went 12-4 in 2008-2009

This is the "This" post of the season..

A lot of people keep saying things like, " we can't possibly run the ball more because Nick Chubb leads the league in touches" forgetting completely that the running game is about total rushing attempts from team ball carriers and can include a second and/or third or more players.

The stat that really speaks to the issues of our run game utilization on offense is that we are 17th (317) in rushing attempts per game despite having the leading Rusher in the league. The top 10 teams are in the 390s to 470s and that amount is over and above what one might think might conflate the numbers like the team having a better defense and overall team giving them the opportunity to pound the clock and run late game. That context explains some but not the statistically significant drastic difference.

With Kareem Hunt in the fold, he can be getting so many more rushing attempt touches along with his passing targets. We could be the two-headed running back threat.

In analytics, when you lead an efficiency category (Nick Chubb) the goal is to increase sample size. 

Ultimately, it's not about how many rushes but when we are running the ball. We're still calling the game in ways that over the course of the last 2 weeks even in critical redzone moments we're opting to pass. 

Kareem Hunt needs more Rushing touches and so does Nick Chubb. We have the OLine personnel to run that 49ers movement edge zone game that can beat people up. Play-action off that for the win.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

This is the "This" post of the season..

A lot people keep saying things like, " we can't possibly run the ball more because Nick Chubb leads the league in touches" forgetting completely that the running game is about total rushing attempts from team ball carriers and can include a second and/or third or more players.

The stat that really speaks to the issues in utilization on offense is that we are 17th (317) in rushing attempts per game despite having the leading Rusher in the league. The top 10 teams are in the 390s and 400s and that amount is over and above what one might think might conflate the numbers like the team having a better defense and overall team giving them the opportunity to pound the clock and run late game. That context explains some but not the statistically significant drastic difference.

With Kareem Hunt in the fold, he can be getting so many more rushing attempt touches along with his passing targets. We could be the two-headed running back threat.

In analytics, when you lead an efficiency category (Nick Chubb) the goal is to increase sample size. 

Ultimately, it's not about how many rushes but when we are running the ball. We're still calling the game in ways that over the course of the last 2 weeks even in critical redzone moments we're opting to pass. 

Kareem Hunt needs more Rushing touches and so does Nick Chubb. We have the OLine personnel to run that 49ers movement edge zone game that can beat people up. Play-action off that for the win.

4-1 with Kareem hunt on the field

most importantly the teams are averaging less then 19 points a game against are defense without myles

seems like a pretty good formula to win from my view

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

A lot people keep saying things like, " we can't possibly run the ball more because Nick Chubb leads the league in touches"

Just so everyone is clear, not a single person has actually said this.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

forgetting completely that the running game is about total rushing attempts from team ball carriers and can include a second and/or third or more players.

The stat that really speaks to the issues in utilization on offense is that we are 17th (317) in rushing attempts per game despite having the leading Rusher in the league. The top 10 teams are in the 390s and 400s and that amount is over and above what one might think might conflate the numbers like the team having a better defense and overall team giving them the opportunity to pound the clock and run late game. That context explains some but not the statistically significant drastic difference.

In general I agree Hunt needs more touches, significantly more.

Chubb I’m cool with where he’s at, no need to run him into the ground, especially with the season more or less lost. 

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:15 PM, BleedTheClock said:

1st: AJ Epenesa/DE/Iowa
2nd: Tristin Wirfs/OT/Iowa
3rd: Trey Adams/OTWashington
3rd: Kenny Willekes/DE/Michigan State
4th: Tre Smith/OG/Tennessee
5th: Liam Eichenberg/OT/Notre Dame
6th: Richie Worship/FB/Purdue
7th: David Moa/DT/Boise State

Trenches baby!

EDIT: The sad thing is, this wouldn't even really be overkill.

I love the idea of this, that would the sexiest, unsexy draft ever, but at some point we would need to draft a TE high

15 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The biggest failure this year has been not establishing an identity.

It’s like we want to be tough, but the players can’t differentiate tough from aggressive but sloppy.

We want to be a run first team, but OBJ/Juice/Baker, etc.

We want to air it out, but we haven’t done it well.

We try to keep everyone happy as opposed to just running an offense.

13 games in and I still have no clue what their objective is week to week.

100%, If we had leadership and accountability, we would have an identity

15 hours ago, mtmmike said:

4-1with hunt

ijs, just imagine if we really fed him instead of trying to force feed Odell

43 minutes ago, matt27j said:

...5 minutes to go and we are throwing the ball. Baker is trying to hit Landry deep while Hunt is wide open for the 1st down. Previous drive we call all go's on a 3rd and 3 except for one route to Carson that was telegraphed...

These are the same things from early in the season. Some of it is Baker. Some Freddie. Both do some very good things as well.

The egos of this team though seem to have overtaken everything. OBJ/Landry running the show with their antics and media. Baker acting like a leader but isn't one with his performance and work ethic. Freddie not holding these 3 accountable to the rest of the team. 

There's no true leader. Chubb with his play but he's not vocal. Myles was before the incident. Landry and OBJ are divas. 

Baker needs to take the reins over Landry/OBJ and control this team, but he hasn't even taken advantage of the opportunity to improve his own game. We'll see if he is just another Manziel. 

This is the breakdown, zero accountability, zero leadership. If we had either one of those we would have an identity, instead we are trying to please everyone.

The reality is that Baker needs to treat the Landry/OBJ situation the same way he did Duke Johnson, he went right at Duke with no reservation. He needs to go at them the same way for things to change

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I love the idea of this, that would the sexiest, unsexy draft ever, but at some point we would need to draft a TE high

100%, If we had leadership and accountability, we would have an identity

ijs, just imagine if we really fed him instead of trying to force feed Odell

This is the breakdown, zero accountability, zero leadership. If we had either one of those we would have an identity, instead we are trying to please everyone.

The reality is that Baker needs to treat the Landry/OBJ situation the same way he did Duke Johnson, he went right at Duke with no reservation. He needs to go at them the same way for things to change

Sometimes this is just like being in a lieutenant in the army nobody respects you.

• Like 1

My Prelimary Offseason.

I would keep the same coaching staff, I would promote Modkin to Play Calling OC.

I would see if Riverboart Ron would like to come in as Sr. Defensive Assistant.

I would resign Hunt, Joe Scho, Higgins and Greg Robinson (as a backup swing tackle)

I would cut Hubbard, the FS, Kirsky, Eric Kush, and everything at DT behind Ogunjobi and Richardson.

This would be my Draft:

1rst Austin Jackson, OT, USC
Height: 6-6. Weight: 305

2nd Jon Greenard, DE/OLB, Florida
Height: 6-3. Weight: 263

3rd Trey Adams, OT, Washington
Height: 6-7. Weight: 334

3rd Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne
Height: 6-2. Weight: 215

4th Leki Fotu, DT, Utah
Height: 6-5. Weight: 323

6th Josiah Coatney, DT, Ole Miss
Height: 6-4. Weight: 325

7th A.J. Dillon, FB, Boston College
Height: 6-0. Weight: 245

7th Donnell Stanley, C/G, South Carolina
Height: 6-3. Weight: 322

• Like 3

19 hours ago, #32 said:

Dorsey has whiffed on Freddie, OBJ trade, Zeitler trade, 4 draft picks, and changes in front office personnel.  Also, Dorsey's rejects like Corbett, Haden, and others are starting for other contending teams.  Plain Dealer reports dysfunctional Browns organization and it clearly is a mess from a winning culture perspective.

How do you fix Haslam, Dorsey, Freddie, OBJ, Myles, Baker, etc.....I believe it starts with the Head Coach.   Also, Dorsey has to be held responsible and put on notice to produce or be fired.  Sign Myles long term now!  Get Baker a real QB coach who will hold him responsible and coach him up to an above average QB.

Urban Meyer, Ron Rivera, and John Harbaugh come to mind as the possible football mind to coach players professionally. 

One point of interest is the teams that run effectively have the best records in the NFL (49ers, Ravens, Seahawks).  Dorsey whiffed when he did not keep RG Zeitler as it is imperative for a run game to have LG,C,RG who can actually run block effectively.

Perhaps you would like to go back to the days of Bryce Treggs and Ricardo Louis, Jamie Meder and Ed Reynolds

• Like 2

Apparently we have something called the “Ed Block Courage Award”

and it went to Juston Burris

thats nice and all but doesn’t it say something about the culture of a team when’s its most courageous player has barely actually been on the team 

shouldn’t that go to a leader or like a major consistent figure. 

burros has barely been on the roster. Idk it just stands out to me 

25 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Apparently we have something called the “Ed Block Courage Award”

and it went to Juston Burris

thats nice and all but doesn’t it say something about the culture of a team when’s its most courageous player has barely actually been on the team 

shouldn’t that go to a leader or like a major consistent figure. 

burros has barely been on the roster. Idk it just stands out to me 

Well it's not really a football award. Nate Ebner won it for the Patriots last year, a special team guy. It's more of a sportsmanship award. Maybe Myles would have won it but...

26 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well it's not really a football award. Nate Ebner won it for the Patriots last year, a special team guy. It's more of a sportsmanship award. Maybe Myles would have won it but...

Whatever kind of award it is. Shouldn’t our awards preferably go to players who have actually been on the team. 

unless it’s an award for pickups that made an impact in their short period of time idk I feel like our guys on the team should be getting any award that’s out there 

According to the Browns website Justin Burris was with the Browns for 7 games last year, and 11 this year.  The award is voted on by the players, and community service is a part of the consideration.  I don't know anything about locker rooms, but apparently he is well liked, and I can surmise that his teammates respect the effort he made to come back from injury, make it back to the team and contribute throughout the season, coupled with his participation to charity within the community. I think it's a bit harsh to take this award as evidence of the "dysfunction" of the Browns.  Every nfl locker room has more borderline/replaceable guys than stars.  I view it as a positive about Justin Burris who is a player that guys like us take for granted, especially when so many people find many of the players on this team to be unlikeable.

• Like 2