What is the Best Case Scenario for the Rest of this Season?

MKnight82

I don't even know what to root for at this point.  If you're going to come in here and say, you're a Redskins fan you have to root for them to win every game always, then this isn't the thread for you.  From what I can tell these are the most important factors that will be impacted the rest of the season:

#1 - Draft pick position.

#2 - The future job status of Bruce Allen and Bill Callahan (and basically everyone else).

#3 - Desirability of this franchise to other HC Candidates.  

I haven't listed these in any particular order, as their importance are up for debate (and the purpose of this thread).  The first two are obvious, the more they lose the better those situations look. Getting rid of Bruce Allen and this entire coaching staff are key to any future success of this franchise IMO.  Obviously landing a very high draft pick could land us a generational talent like Chase Young, or lead us to an insane trade down scenario where we pick up a haul of draft picks.  

But the draft pick situation IMO is more complex than that.  Even if we landed Chase Young, he's still only a single player.  Yes I expect him to be great, but he could get hurt, or maybe he shockingly busts or isn't as impactful as we thought (like Clowney).  The reality is he's just one player, and anything could go wrong with one player.  The trade down scenario has its own risks, multiple people have already discussed this.  Yes you're getting more lottery picks but they might not have as much chance of hitting a star as the higher pick.  My point is, the draft is like a lottery, there's a lot of luck involved so maybe it shouldn't be the top thing we root for for these last 4 games of the season.  

Then there is the desirability of this franchise to any future HC Candidates.  This could very well be argued as the most important thing for our franchise right now, as hiring the next regime will impact the organization more than anything else.  I would imagine any HC candidate will look at 2 things when thinking about the Redskins position.  The first thing is how much control will they be given, and how much will Dan Snyder meddle.  The second I believe is how much talent does he think is already on the roster for him to work with.  Firing Bruce and the whole staff and allowing a new regime to set up camp solves the first part of this, but the second part will likely be impacted with how our players look the last 4 weeks of the season.  

So there's the conundrum.  We need to look good enough to end out the season so that a great HC Candidate will want to work with our players, but bad enough that Dan doesn't go stupid and keep everyone on staff.  So what would that entail?  I think we need to lose our next 3 games, the Packers, Eagles and Giants games.  Then have an emotional Week 17 victory over the Cowboys.  Yes that will take us out of Chase Young territory, but I think it might help us out more in the end.  

Anyways, sorry for the long post, what do you guys think we should be rooting for the rest of the season?  

Best case scenario?

We win out going 7-9

Philly beats Dallas, but loses the rest going 6-10

Dallas loses out going 6-10.

Redskins win Division

Redskins beat Seattle in NFC Championship game.

Redskins beat Patriots or Ravens in Super Bowl.

Haskins becomes first rookie ever, to win SB & gets MVP to boot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Best case scenario?

We win out going 7-9

Redskins win Division

I love you, man. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Best case scenario?

We win out going 7-9

Redskins win Division

That would be the worst case scenario.

• Like 1

Play well and lose close games the rest of the season. 

1. Fire Bruce, Bill & Greg

2. Draft position

3. The Redskins are not a desirable destination for any of the best GM & best HC candidates. Even if Bruce is fired, Dan is still here so the needle doesn’t move that much.

I don’t expect a splash hire in the FO or at HC. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Best case scenario is if Haskins turns into an above average QB. That might attract a quality coach. Add in Guice, who looked great last game and you have something a coach might see he can build on.

Chase Young was always overrated as the savior to this team. There are other players in this draft, OL and LBers that would benefit this team just as well. 

• Like 2

Best case scenario?

Aliens come and take Dan Snyder and his whole family to another planet to live out their days in captive luxury and have the team be purchased by an owner who understands his job (hire the best people, write checks, and stay the eff out of the way).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, taylor made said:

Best case scenario is if Haskins turns into an above average QB. That might attract a quality coach. Add in Guice, who looked great last game and you have something a coach might see he can build on.

Chase Young was always overrated as the savior to this team. There are other players in this draft, OL and LBers that would benefit this team just as well. 

No one player is a savior. Those of us who want Chase Young want him because he’s the best building block in the draft and he’s the type of player that an offense has to game plan for how to stop. We haven’t had that kind of player on our defense since Sean was alive and when Lavar was in his prime.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I would think best case scenario is the young guys continuing to show growth against a tough upcoming schedule with the end result being 3-13. We end up with the second pick in the draft, which like I said in the draft thread, I’m not 100% certain the Bengals just won’t take Chase with the first pick, used as a bounty to sell off Joe Burrow. 

Now personally, I’d rather not fall out of Jeudy/Thomas range if Young is indeed gone but Lamb and a few extra draft picks wouldn’t be a bad consolation prize. 

Also, for me, best case scenario would be an announcement before seasons end that Bruce will no longer be a part of the organization and that Luis Riddick will be named team president and GM with full authority to do as he pleases. He hires the new coach, he runs the draft, free agency etc. This would totally reinvigorate a dying fanbase, at least to some degree. I do believe this roster has enough talent that with a respected guy in charge you could put together a really good coaching staff. So yeah, best case scenario for me. 

• Like 2

Even though we want it badly Dan isn’t selling this team. Like everybody else we want Bruce totally gone. We want a GM that will give this team the coach and the players to succeed. 

We have good young talent on this team and need a great coaching staff who will bring out the best in each player. 

OLINE, LBERS, Safety, TE are positions of need. Let’s clean house and get this Franchise back to where it should be. 

Draft pick position is the only issue I think that gets affected by wins at this point.  Either way we are getting a top player at a position of need (thomas/jeudy), but the Chase Young sweepstakes or draft pick trade option would be a huge benefit.   

I can't imagine Bruce Allen being retained because we win meaningless games.  I think that decision has already been made and in the end will be more about finding an acceptable replacement then anything that happens from here on out.

I would be shocked if Callahan gets to stay.  The only way he stays is if Snyder is waiting on another coach or gm who is still somewhere else for another year.

As long as the youth keeps flashing, I can't imagine why this wouldn't be a hugely popular landing spot for a HC.  First of all, we have a lot of young talent and second of all, it isn't like the HC hire could possibly do worse than the last guy.

So yeah I hope we lose while the youth continues to look good.

Edited by offbyone

16 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Draft pick position is the only issue I think that gets affected by wins at this point.  Either way we are getting a top player at a position of need (thomas/jeudy), but the Chase Young sweepstakes or draft pick trade option would be a huge benefit.   

I can't imagine Bruce Allen being retained because we win meaningless games.  I think that decision has already been made and in the end will be more about finding an acceptable replacement then anything that happens from here on out.

I would be shocked if Callahan gets to stay.  The only way he stays is if Snyder is waiting on another coach or gm who is still somewhere else for another year.

As long as the youth keeps flashing, I can't imagine why this wouldn't be a hugely popular landing spot for a HC.  First of all, we have a lot of young talent and second of all, it isn't like the HC hire could possibly do worse than the last guy.

So yeah I hope we lose while the youth continues to look good.

Two words, Dan Snyder.