Eagles sign K Jake Elliott; Sturgis to IR

Phire

Bengals burned a 5th round pick on Elliott.

Elliott missed far too many kicks in camp and the preseason to win any kicking battle in the NFL, but his talent and being a fifth-round rookie made him one of the more intriguing kickers for teams like the Eagles to sign if they needed help.

55 minutes ago, Danger said:

From everything I've heard he's the type thats good within in 40ish yards, but outside that he leaves much to be desired.

As long as he's a lock inside 40 I'm happy with it as a mid season pickup. At least you know what you're working with when it comes to in-game decisions.

28 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

As long as he's a lock inside 40 I'm happy with it as a mid season pickup. At least you know what you're working with when it comes to in-game decisions.

This. We're not gonna find a kicker who can make every kick in free agency.

Bengals kicker battle update: Jake Elliott still struggling while Randy Bullock looks superior

With three preseason games left, it’s now a toss-up as to who the Cincinnati Bengals’ kicker will be.

This seemed like a decision made months ago when Cincinnati spent a fifth-round pick on Memphis kicker Jake Elliott, making him the first kicker drafted this year. The Bengals are also very keen on keeping their draft picks as rookies, giving them ample time to showcase their full potential.

That’s why it seemed like a done deal that Elliott would be the Bengals’ kicker come Week 1 of the regular season. However, the Bengals also re-signed veteran Randy Bullock earlier in the offseason, which ultimately gave them insurance in case Elliott turned into a disaster.

Well, that scenario may be playing out. Elliott had an up-and-down training camp that saw him miss several field goals, as well as an extra point, something the Bengals saw far too much of in 2016 with Mike Nugent.

In the process, Bullock has made just about every kick in camp and looked like the superior kicker. That continued Wednesday as Bullock was perfect on all of his attempts, while Elliott was a disaster

WhIdWLyQJ3TRgmfnUpgP_thumb.gif

3 minutes ago, Phire said:

This. We're not gonna find a kicker who can make every kick in free agency.

Nick Novak was out there. He had the same FG% as Sturgis last year which was 85.4%.

I think he was a better option.

Elliot was only 80.8% his last year of college (a bit better in 2015) and he only made 2 of 5 from 40+ in the preseason.

Hopefully he hits a few early and gains some confidence and doesn't look back.

52 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I don't THINK that is the case. He was 2-2 inside 40 and 2-5 from 40+ in preseason, but when you go back and check his college stats it tells a different story.

He was 12-18 for 66.6% from 30-39 in his last 2 seasons at Memphis.

However, from 40-49 yards he was 18-21 for 85.7% and from 50+ he was 4-5 for 80%.

I emphasized "think", because I didn't watch every Memphis game, so I don't know if some of those kicks under 40 were blocked which could be skewing his percentages a bit.

Archived