Eagles sign K Jake Elliott; Sturgis to IR

Phire

13 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I don't THINK that is the case. He was 2-2 inside 40 and 2-5 from 40+ in preseason, but when you go back and check his college stats it tells a different story.

He was 12-18 for 66.6% from 30-39 in his last 2 seasons at Memphis.

However, from 40-49 yards he was 18-21 for 85.7% and from 50+ he was 4-5 for 80%.

I emphasized "think", because I didn't watch every Memphis game, so I don't know if some of those kicks under 40 were blocked which could be skewing his percentages a bit.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jake-elliott?id=2558172

STRENGTHS

Very quick leg action on his follow-through. Kicks with excellent trajectory. Doesn't allow an early miss to wreck his confidence. Has had three of six onside kicks recovered including all three attempts over last two seasons. Had just one kick blocked over four years. Never allowed a kickoff return for a touchdown. Simply never misses chip shot kicks making every attempt inside of 30 yards for his career.

2 minutes ago, Phire said:

Right but to those asking why go with a rookie, the Birds are looking for a longer term solution. 

well  I was the only person who mentioned before the draft that Caleb kind of sucked and maybe we should look into replacing him. Then everyone hated on me for it. Now the eagles seem to agree with me. 

36 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

well  I was the only person who mentioned before the draft that Caleb kind of sucked and maybe we should look into replacing him. Then everyone hated on me for it. Now the eagles seem to agree with me. 

I said both of our kickers needed to be replaced...but I agree with @Phire maybe they are looking at possible long term solutions Johnston on PS if they prove it in practice/games. 

I'm ok with Elliott kickoffs are just as important as 40yd FGs iyam. Either A figure out why the offense flames out before the RZ. Or B try to win games kicking 40 yarders. 

Archived