Dogs

D82

Her name is MacReady by the way.  My dog.  Now I’ve got Ripley (whom I stole from my sister) and MacReady.  Aliens and The Thing.  Pretty good pair.  Ripley didn’t like ‘cReady at first, but by noon today they were running around the back yard playing.  Hit me in the feels.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I know someone that fosters hospice dogs. I don't know how they do it. I would die.

Yeah, I tend to just believe these people don't exist b/c I'm not sure how this is humanly possible. Quit lying to me...... they don't exist.............. but good for that person you know. It's literally amazing

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Meet American Pit Bull Terrier Mika, she is eighteen months old.

Absolutely loves people and dogs. Too much. Will whine til she can go to the dog park smh.

I'm convinced my dog only likes going to the dog park b/c she LOVES riding in the car. Once we get to the park, she's great w/ other dogs, but w/in 10 minutes, she's ready to go b/c she wants to get back in the car. 

My Fiancee and I have 2 Boston Terriers (the older of the two came with my fiancee). The one is about to be a year old and is starting to become well behaved like our 4 year old pup. They can go from zoomies to cuddling in seconds. I know a lot of guys hate on smaller dogs, but I would have a hard time going to another breed at this point.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

My Fiancee and I have 2 Boston Terriers (the older of the two came with my fiancee). The one is about to be a year old and is starting to become well behaved like our 4 year old pup. They can go from zoomies to cuddling in seconds. I know a lot of guys hate on smaller dogs, but I would have a hard time going to another breed at this point.

Smaller dogs get a bad wrap because of the owners a lot of the time (which is true for any breed). It's like because they are smaller, some owners let them get away with things that bigger dogs would get reprimanded for. 

The other day two little guys got out of the house and ran up to mine and the owner barely made an effort to get them back. Reasoning was "I figured they wouldn't do anything since they are so small". My girls are friendly but when a strange dog is running up to them, it's understandable that they get defensive and if anything happens, they'd be the one at fault because of the damage done. 

I know tons of smaller dogs that are well behaved (my one friend has a BT too and he's awesome).

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 12:37 PM, skywlker32 said:

My best friend is a big dog person (always had German Shepherds growing up), and his wife convinced him to get a Boston about 3 years ago, because they were temporarily living in a smaller place while she finished school, and weren't exactly sure where their next move was going to be taking them; now he's in love with it.  He's an awesome dog.  We watched him for a few weeks, while they were out of the country, and it was honestly hard giving him back.  He meshed right in with our 2 dogs (American Pit Bull Terrier and Siberian Husky), even with the fairly decent gap in age.  If I ever decided to go the smaller dog route, I would go with a Boston Terrier.  They have a lot of personality, and you can mess around with them like you can a bigger dog, without feeling like you're going to hurt them.  He's like a smaller, smarter version of my APBT.  Really cool breed.  

Edited by jyod21
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, jyod21 said:

My best friend is a big dog person (always had German Shepherds growing up), and his wife convinced him to get a Boston about 3 years ago, because they were temporarily living in a smaller place while she finished school, and weren't exactly sure where there next move was going to be taking them, and now he's in love with it.  He's an awesome dog.  We watched him for a few weeks, while they were out of the country, and it was honestly hard giving him back.  He meshed right in with our 2 dogs (American Pit Bull Terrier and Siberian Husky), even with the fairly decent gap in age.  If I ever decided to go the smaller dog route, I would go with a Boston Terrier.  They have a lot of personality, and you can mess around with them like you can a bigger dog, without feeling like you're going to hurt them.  Really cool breed.  

It's great seeing them play with bigger dogs. A friend of ours has a Great Pyrenees pup. Our dogs like to run circles around him, but both end up covered in slobber by the end and all 3 dogs are extremely tired for about 2 days after.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

It's great seeing them play with bigger dogs. A friend of ours has a Great Pyrenees pup. Our dogs like to run circles around him, but both end up covered in slobber by the end and all 3 dogs are extremely tired for about 2 days after.

He had a ritual, every morning, where he would sit there, and just chew on my pitbull's lips, while we got ready for work.  He is pretty sharp, too.  We have a privacy fence around our back yard, and then a dog door in the basement door, so our dogs just let themselves out as they need during the day (the husky basically just stays outside all day.  He loves being outside, no matter the season.  You have to coax him inside when it rains).  The Boston learned how to use it by about the second day.  It took my pitbull around a week to get comfortable using that same door.  We were able to just let him roam free in the house, while we were gone, once he became comfortable with the dog door.  

Edited by jyod21

2 hours ago, jyod21 said:

He had a ritual, every morning, where he would sit there, and just chew on my pitbull's lips, while we got ready for work.  He is pretty sharp, too.  We have a privacy fence around our back yard, and then a dog door in the basement door, so our dogs just let themselves out as they need during the day (the husky basically just stays outside all day.  He loves being outside, no matter the season.  You have to coax him inside when it rains).  The Boston learned how to use it by about the second day.  It took my pitbull around a week to get comfortable using that same door.  We were able to just let him roam free in the house, while we were gone, once he became comfortable with the dog door.  

Our one dog will will go on poop strikes during bad weather (rain, snow) and refuse to go outside for long periods of time. The puppy will go out in anything and take his time.

2 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

Our one dog will will go on poop strikes during bad weather (rain, snow) and refuse to go outside for long periods of time. The puppy will go out in anything and take his time.

Lol my dog does this too, poop/pee strikes during rain. She won’t go on concrete on the patio, has to be grass. 

Edited by BayRaider

We have 2 pugs, one's 11 next month and the other's 10 in September. Both are good pets. We've noticed the older one go downhill a lot the past few months. She's both blind and deaf now. Shame too because she's such a good dog, I know what they mean when they talk about man's best friend with those 2 dogs. 

Ripley is a little sad/depressed about MacReady.  I've been looking into it a lot and I'm doing everything conventional wisdom suggests you do (greet old dog first, give old dog more attention, give old dog food/treats first)... I've even taken Ripley on walks with just her and I, but it's been only three days, but it's really bumming me out.  I've heard it takes up to a month, but I'm really anxious to get the old playful and energetic Ripley back. 

Somebody reassure me that it'll be alright and that Ripley will be back to her old self soon.  I love MacReady already and she is going to be a hell of a dog, but I'm feeling like if Ripley doesn't get back to herself soon I'm going to have to give 'cReady to my cousin. 

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Ripley is a little sad/depressed about MacReady.  I've been looking into it a lot and I'm doing everything conventional wisdom suggests you do (greet old dog first, give old dog more attention, give old dog food/treats first)... I've even taken Ripley on walks with just her and I, but it's been only three days, but it's really bumming me out.  I've heard it takes up to a month, but I'm really anxious to get the old playful and energetic Ripley back. 

Somebody reassure me that it'll be alright and that Ripley will be back to her old self soon.  I love MacReady already and she is going to be a hell of a dog, but I'm feeling like if Ripley doesn't get back to herself soon I'm going to have to give 'cReady to my cousin. 

It will absolutely be alright. This happens a lot with newer dogs and we've had a lot of adopted dogs returned because of it, but give it time. As long as there's not an incident where they go at it, it'll work out. If Ripley really didn't want Macready around, you'd know it. 

Keep doing what you're doing though, but walking them together is important. In your house, MacReady seems like an outsider to Ripley but when you're out in the world, it'll seem more like you're all together. I would say give it a month. 

• Like 1