Dogs

D82

I would love a German Shepherd next but the issue with my situation is I need to get them as puppies. My biggest one has an issue with others at times but when he meets them as puppies he's the sweetest thing.

13 minutes ago, D82 said:

Nothing wrong with them. Everyone should have the choice between getting from a shelter or a breeder. 

For the sake of keeping this a happy thread, I'll just say I respectfully disagree. There are respectable breeders out there (albeit few and far between), but I can't get behind breeding a dog that most likely doesn't want to be just to make a buck, especially when there are thousands of dogs stuck in loud shelters that get euthanized every day. I could go into a ton more detail if you want to PM me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

For the sake of keeping this a happy thread, I'll just say I respectfully disagree. There are respectable breeders out there (albeit few and far between), but I can't get behind breeding a dog that most likely doesn't want to be just to make a buck, especially when there are thousands of dogs stuck in loud shelters that get euthanized every day. I could go into a ton more detail if you want to PM me. 

No, I'm good and know the talking points you'll have. Not in the mood to argue today with someone who has already made up their mind.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I live/grew up in Amish Country and I completely understand this.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Sorry, but I'm gonna be that guy. Plenty of shepherds in shelters looking for a home and it would probably cost 1/10th of the price. 

Not gonna continue to hound you, I just can't stand breeders. 

sheperds require a firm hand from i hear. I don't mind raising one from a puppy. But an adult or near adult can invite a lot of problems if they were brought up poorly. 

And this one is gonna cost 400 so its not outrageous a price like some ask. 

27 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

sheperds require a firm hand from i hear. I don't mind raising one from a puppy. But an adult or near adult can invite a lot of problems if they were brought up poorly. 

And this one is gonna cost 400 so its not outrageous a price like some ask. 

You get what you pay for.

11 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Look at all you non-adopting fools...... Yeah I get people want specific types of dogs and there are benefits of getting them from a breeder. Maybe I'm too entrenched in my ways lol

Totally regret getting a dog whose lineage I can trace back decades, with parents who were both health tested and had all relevant genetic screenings done before being bred and whose temperament is rock solid. Let me tell ya. 

• Like 1

Been thinking about getting a dog for awhile now, and my brother just recently adopted a Frenchie. Want a nice family dog, I grew up with mostly Schnauzers. And my parents had a Schnoodle which was a Poodle/Schnauzer mix, but it was pretty much 90% Schnauzer. And they've all been great dogs. 

Probably either going to adopt a Schnauzer or a poodle mix. Maybe a Frenchie or a Boston, but one of the problems with dating someone in the Animal medical field...you name a breed, and they tell you every health issue it could have. 

• Like 1

Side note, Finn (the lab/pit mix) has been spacing out lately alot, just having a blank look on his face and staring at literally nothing. My fiancee is worried that there's some sort of seizure going on in his head at the moment which is very concerning. I know seizures are very common in labs, my family has had 5-6 of them total and 3-4 of them all went the same way.

Hoping my boy is okay

13 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Been thinking about getting a dog for awhile now, and my brother just recently adopted a Frenchie. Want a nice family dog, I grew up with mostly Schnauzers. And my parents had a Schnoodle which was a Poodle/Schnauzer mix, but it was pretty much 90% Schnauzer. And they've all been great dogs. 

Probably either going to adopt a Schnauzer or a poodle mix. Maybe a Frenchie or a Boston, but one of the problems with dating someone in the Animal medical field...you name a breed, and they tell you every health issue it could have. 

I keep telling my wife that at some point we're going to have a great dane, and get the health issue response every time lol. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Side note, Finn (the lab/pit mix) has been spacing out lately alot, just having a blank look on his face and staring at literally nothing. My fiancee is worried that there's some sort of seizure going on in his head at the moment which is very concerning. I know seizures are very common in labs, my family has had 5-6 of them total and 3-4 of them all went the same way.

Hoping my boy is okay

We have my wife's childhood Corgi now that has a ton of issues and she does this a lot. How old is he? 

It could be anything (most likely pain related) that makes them uncomfortable. Dogs will usually do anything to avoid showing an injury, so it could just be something physically wrong and him trying to focus on not letting it out. If it keeps up though, it's worth it getting him checked out. 

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

We have my wife's childhood Corgi now that has a ton of issues and she does this a lot. How old is he? 

It could be anything (most likely pain related) that makes them uncomfortable. Dogs will usually do anything to avoid showing an injury, so it could just be something physically wrong and him trying to focus on not letting it out. If it keeps up though, it's worth it getting him checked out. 

He's about 4 or 5.