Dogs

D82

3 hours ago, D82 said:

That's cool. She do any kind of events with her dogs? Conformation, herding, etc.? Not asking to be smart, just legitimately curious. I may know her. 

not entirely sure. She owns a farm with her bf and raises them. I know for a fact she does personal training with them for K9 units. 

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Who is it? Can send a PM if you feel more comfortable. 

I have a friend who breeds them, big teddy bears honestly. 

I don't know enough about dogs/breeders to really say this is legitimate but I basically just found her on Youtube. And seeing I'm close enough, I think it's worth looking into. I don't think Akitas are common where I'm from anyways (Central California), so it helps give me a reason to not go for a random whose bloodline isn't proven.Which I don't even think exists given their prestige.

Kobu Akitas - Susan Cargill

Correction: Location may be Southern California

Edited by Nex_Gen

1 hour ago, Nex_Gen said:

I don't know enough about dogs/breeders to really say this is legitimate but I basically just found her on Youtube. And seeing I'm close enough, I think it's worth looking into. I don't think Akitas are common where I'm from anyways (Central California), so it helps give me a reason to not go for a random whose bloodline isn't proven.Which I don't even think exists given their prestige.

Kobu Akitas - Susan Cargill

Correction: Location may be Southern California

The fact that she's a member of the breed's parent club and that she does agility with them tells me she's legit. Good luck man.

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

not entirely sure. She owns a farm with her bf and raises them. I know for a fact she does personal training with them for K9 units. 

Well, that's cool. May not be AKC sanctioned events but at least she's doing something to prove their merit and not just putting two dogs together. Have to post pics of the pup when you get him/her, I'm dying to add a pup but right now just isn't a good time. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

91889158_10217704765066200_4819159559031

94192361_10217894611612245_6099019517856

This is Teddy before we got this little guy 2 years ago I was not really a fan of golden doodles,  he totally has changed my mind on that, he is the best most friendly loving dog I have ever met in my life. I honestly couldn't picture our lives without him in it. he is a great family dog, loves other animals and is amazing with kids.  If you are looking for a family dog I would recommend looking into getting a golden doodle

Alright, I'm tired of this.  I can't do pictures of my own, but here are some look alikes via Google:

Bert, our 5 year old Pyrenees /Lab mix lookalike.  He's a "special" dog (fused vertebrae in his spine, stunted his development and makes it hard for him to move around easily).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT18Husyb7gBriGb_flzoE

Winnie, our almost 3 year old hound mix lookalike.  She was a Christmas present to my wife.  Her tail is a weapon of glass destruction.  This pic is actually spot on, minus her ridiculous, overgrown, wolverine claws.

IMG_1568.jpg?fit=480,640&ssl=1

And last, Sadie, my wife's 15 year old miniature dachshund.  This one isn't that close, since Sadie is old as ****, missing most of her teeth, and is starting to go blind, so her eyes are cloudy.  A lot more white hair on her face, but this is as close as I can get.

d4e12cc8c9bf34d096b14e017a6fccfa.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 9:44 AM, ET80 said:

NBhOpAA.jpg

This is Sasha, she's now 5 months - rougly 13 lbs, she's grown so much since the last pic!

She loves that bully stick...

A few updates:

- I spoke to the person who originally got her, and I have a better grip on her birthday/age. Turns out she was born somewhere between 1/26 and 2/10, so a conservative estimate is she's five months old right now, not back in May. 

- She's now 28.6 lbs, so much bigger! 

- Sasha was starting to get really rowdy and overly excited, jumping on the kids and nipping and barking non-stop at everyone she doesn't know (which is basically everyone, she only knows my family). So, we've enrolled her into a two week training course with a trainer who was recommended by a family friend of ours, someone who got great results with his dog.

- We "interviewed" a few trainers and this guy gave us the best feeling in regards to results; This guy is a bit rough around the edges in regards to his customer service (that me nicely saying he's ghetto) but his reviews are all pretty good, with a recommendation from someone we know, so that put him ahead of the rest. 

- We dropped Sasha off Sunday, and it was clear she was not a fan of this decision. A quick evaluation with the trainer and he figured out what we knew, she was REALLY skittish around people she didn't know as well as other dogs. Poor girl was crying, trying desperately to come back to us when we handed off the leash to the guy. He was gentle but very deliberate with picking her up and handling her... but she still snapped at him, which he figured would happen.

- We got our first video yesterday; She's on a leash with another dog, and she not pulling or biting, but WOW is she scared. Tail was tucked between her legs, she was crying non stop around other dogs, visibly shaking. It broke my heart seeing her like that, not going to lie.

I miss her more than I would ever think I'd miss something that isn't my wife or my kids. She'd chill with me while I worked from home (but she'd get bored quickly and start gnawing at my feet or ankles) so not having that is just... strange. My wife walked into the house the last two days and half expected Sasha to run up and jump on her, like she has been doing since March. My daughter asks daily when the puppy is coming back. Even my son (who is non verbal and didn't really like the dog to begin with) was sitting by her cage, figuring what toy the dog would want in her kennel when she comes back...

That dog hasn't been with us for four months, but is already made a profound impact on all of us.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

A few updates:

- I spoke to the person who originally got her, and I have a better grip on her birthday/age. Turns out she was born somewhere between 1/26 and 2/10, so a conservative estimate is she's five months old right now, not back in May. 

- She's now 28.6 lbs, so much bigger! 

- Sasha was starting to get really rowdy and overly excited, jumping on the kids and nipping and barking non-stop at everyone she doesn't know (which is basically everyone, she only knows my family). So, we've enrolled her into a two week training course with a trainer who was recommended by a family friend of ours, someone who got great results with his dog.

- We "interviewed" a few trainers and this guy gave us the best feeling in regards to results; This guy is a bit rough around the edges in regards to his customer service (that me nicely saying he's ghetto) but his reviews are all pretty good, with a recommendation from someone we know, so that put him ahead of the rest. 

- We dropped Sasha off Sunday, and it was clear she was not a fan of this decision. A quick evaluation with the trainer and he figured out what we knew, she was REALLY skittish around people she didn't know as well as other dogs. Poor girl was crying, trying desperately to come back to us when we handed off the leash to the guy. He was gentle but very deliberate with picking her up and handling her... but she still snapped at him, which he figured would happen.

- We got our first video yesterday; She's on a leash with another dog, and she not pulling or biting, but WOW is she scared. Tail was tucked between her legs, she was crying non stop around other dogs, visibly shaking. It broke my heart seeing her like that, not going to lie.

I miss her more than I would ever think I'd miss something that isn't my wife or my kids. She'd chill with me while I worked from home (but she'd get bored quickly and start gnawing at my feet or ankles) so not having that is just... strange. My wife walked into the house the last two days and half expected Sasha to run up and jump on her, like she has been doing since March. My daughter asks daily when the puppy is coming back. Even my son (who is non verbal and didn't really like the dog to begin with) was sitting by her cage, figuring what toy the dog would want in her kennel when she comes back...

That dog hasn't been with us for four months, but is already made a profound impact on all of us.

It'll be good for her. Dogs need to be socialized and taught how to act when they are younger, otherwise they'll run into problems with it down the road. Our foster was a stray in Philly and we got him at about 2-3 years old, but we have to keep him separate from our two because he doesn't know how to act around them. It's clear he just wants to play, but he comes in way too hot and when they try to correct him, he's past the age of accepting it. It's much easier to learn when they are young.

• Like 1

Anyone have or had any experience with Siberian Huskies? I adopted my lady earlier this year and she's been a blast. She's about 2 and really well behaved for the most part. Only thing she does that gets on my nerves is that her playful biting can become too much and that she can be difficult to walk (pulling, lunging at squirrels, chipmunks, etc, and basically lacks impulse control when she gets excited). But other than that, she's been an incredible dog.

42 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Anyone have or had any experience with Siberian Huskies? I adopted my lady earlier this year and she's been a blast. She's about 2 and really well behaved for the most part. Only thing she does that gets on my nerves is that her playful biting can become too much and that she can be difficult to walk (pulling, lunging at squirrels, chipmunks, etc, and basically lacks impulse control when she gets excited). But other than that, she's been an incredible dog.

I have a Siberian Husky.  He's 8 now, but still full of energy.  My wife got him, from a breeder, as a pup, and then I came into the picture when he was a little over a year old, so I've been with him the majority of his life.  He's a blast, but also can be a handful, especially when he was younger.  My wife has a ton of horror stories about him, as a puppy.  I stayed on him, a lot, and then he naturally mellowed out, a little, around 3 years old, or so.  He's been a great dog. Intelligent, and hilarious.  He has a lot of personality. Sheds like crazy.  He's fixed, and an inside dog, but he absolutely loves being outdoors.  He also loves a good squirrel/ chipmunk.  They're supposed to be escape artists, but he's only gotten away a few times, and never was far.  Of the "lost dog" posts I see shared on FB, it seems like 40% of them are Sibs.  They're always in for an adventure.