Dogs

D82

On 6/24/2020 at 11:13 AM, DawgX said:

Yup, I never thought about freezing the peanut butter but that's a great idea. I'll definitely give that a try here soon.

Mix Peanut butter and low-fat plain yogurt and freeze that into ice molds. Little ice cream PB treats.

22 hours ago, scar988 said:

Mix Peanut butter and low-fat plain yogurt and freeze that into ice molds. Little ice cream PB treats.

Greek yogurt is a good idea b/c it offers good digestive enzymes for our furry little friends. Promoting good gut health isn't just something us humans need! My dog gets one teaspoon every morning as her breakfast

Just has to make sure it doesn't have any xylitol in it. VERY important.

Edited by JTagg7754

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

Greek yogurt is a good idea b/c it offers good digestive enzymes for our furry little friends. Promoting good gut health isn't just something us humans need! My dog gets one teaspoon every morning as her breakfast

Just has to make sure it doesn't have any xylitol in it. VERY important.

Agreed. 

Don't know how I missed this thread - love all of the pictures!

I have:

Ringo - 6 year old German Shepherd mix that we adopted from our local shelter. He had horrible separation anxiety as a puppy (destroyed multiple cages and gates, and took a couch down to the wood frame), but he's on prozac now and is as loyal and smart as any German Shepherd I've owned (2 others). Loves to run and I can teach him just about anything. The other day I taught him how to open the latch for our basement gate. He's ~80 lbs and is TERRIFIED of our 10 lb cat xD He's also learned to differentiate the different delivery trucks during the pandemic. USPS/Amazon/UPS vehicles are all fine. He'll look to see who's coming and then go about his business. If any unmarked or unfamiliar vehicles pull up he goes into full guard dog mode though.

Lennon - 5 year old pit/boxer mix. We got her from a pit rescue in Indiana. She's a sweetheart and loves my son to pieces. They do everything together. She loves to jump up the ladder into his playhouse and go down the slide. She's supper stubborn and not very bright. She's got really terrible allergies, so out of convenience we keep them both on limited ingredient diets and do some raw based on our vet's recommendation. She's about ~60 pounds and if the cat gives her any attitude she will either ignore him or she tries to put her paw on his head to push him down - playfully. 

I'm really thankful that I have a fenced in empty second lot with lots of space for them to run even though we live in Chicago. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 3:34 PM, JDBrocks said:

Don't know how I missed this thread - love all of the pictures!

I have:

Ringo - 6 year old German Shepherd mix that we adopted from our local shelter. He had horrible separation anxiety as a puppy (destroyed multiple cages and gates, and took a couch down to the wood frame), but he's on prozac now and is as loyal and smart as any German Shepherd I've owned (2 others). Loves to run and I can teach him just about anything. The other day I taught him how to open the latch for our basement gate. He's ~80 lbs and is TERRIFIED of our 10 lb cat xD He's also learned to differentiate the different delivery trucks during the pandemic. USPS/Amazon/UPS vehicles are all fine. He'll look to see who's coming and then go about his business. If any unmarked or unfamiliar vehicles pull up he goes into full guard dog mode though.

Lennon - 5 year old pit/boxer mix. We got her from a pit rescue in Indiana. She's a sweetheart and loves my son to pieces. They do everything together. She loves to jump up the ladder into his playhouse and go down the slide. She's supper stubborn and not very bright. She's got really terrible allergies, so out of convenience we keep them both on limited ingredient diets and do some raw based on our vet's recommendation. She's about ~60 pounds and if the cat gives her any attitude she will either ignore him or she tries to put her paw on his head to push him down - playfully. 

I'm really thankful that I have a fenced in empty second lot with lots of space for them to run even though we live in Chicago. 

Definitely gonna need some pictures of those two!

On 6/23/2020 at 10:26 PM, ET80 said:

We dropped Sasha off Sunday, and it was clear she was not a fan of this decision. A quick evaluation with the trainer and he figured out what we knew, she was REALLY skittish around people she didn't know as well as other dogs. Poor girl was crying, trying desperately to come back to us when we handed off the leash to the guy. He was gentle but very deliberate with picking her up and handling her... but she still snapped at him, which he figured would happen.

Picked her up today! She now knows how to sit, lie down and place on command, and she'll stay in place until commanded to get up. She's a bit whiney but she looks fantastic - we're going to get her a quick bath and trim up her nails, but she's back in the house. 

She is really well behaved around other dogs and people now, so the training was really good. We're happy so far, but we need to keep on training her...

• Like 3

I did one of those DNA breed tests, and the results I got back on Anders were:

• 74% miniature poodle
  • 8% bulldog
  • 5% wirehaired pointing griffon
  • 3% redbone coonhound
  • 3% basset hound
  • 2% spanish water dog
  • 2% parson russell terrier
  • 2% japanese spitz
  • 1% wirehaired daschund

0?ui=2&ik=b8d7ad6519&attid=0.3&permmsgid=msg-f:1672115527696030193&th=17348c3693bc99f1&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_Idi6UR5vBhXI7eqf4msO7gOHKlsGseJvLvjBKWvvZ209M1MGbDff1Wii2Shhe80pcl96Erg7KJ0ER0HNi6xHaEB2YBu0Plw9WIcumnWuKJxXyNeNSbV0likE&disp=emb

0?ui=2&ik=b8d7ad6519&attid=0.4&permmsgid=msg-f:1672115527696030193&th=17348c3693bc99f1&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8uiStd4shgqWRF9RABKvPuNDFvN84lpWbaq6FAdBh7IimsKJWno4owlL_ejygSq-Gc10Otz3oSmxjfJA5KiBp72iaFCWRhHMJVLPtuwq7THi5nfb6_zIfs2aM&disp=emb

0?ui=2&ik=b8d7ad6519&attid=0.6&permmsgid=msg-f:1672115527696030193&th=17348c3693bc99f1&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-jtnHkdjktvDPTXu7FeOI1rbSlC9CU9B8onQVpdJSRPpFkI86VIKyTfstQjBdnqeoecCFB8ybMSCa2WZW6DUdA3y6Uq-AyUyM95CUYgwlmNU_oBALXrM7ZQ10&disp=emb

0?ui=2&ik=b8d7ad6519&attid=0.7&permmsgid=msg-f:1672115527696030193&th=17348c3693bc99f1&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9oAs3PzW7BzjHDSRqyk9r0FcVLh__AqKar4dsRU9jfHPPQFU7MlxU8VBpo_GiPMsSXHTGaj7QVlxqG10rQCaUx5TvRnBpXGPUrkc2N17nJW7YPH7XDW-5YADQ&disp=emb

• Like 1

Lost our little dog Wombat early this morning. We had only had her 3 years; we were driving home one day, saw this scraggly, mangy stray running across traffic like a weirdo so we decided to bring her home. She had a lot of health issues; lots of tumors, she was nearly fully blind, etc. But she was my favorite type of dog. Happy and lazy. Total sweetheart.

A couple of days ago, she just took an abrupt turn from perfectly normal to not being able to walk, having seizures, etc. She was actually scheduled for the vet this morning (we were pretty sure that they were going to tell us we should put her to sleep), but she passed during the night instead. 

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lost our little dog Wombat early this morning. We had only had her 3 years; we were driving home one day, saw this scraggly, mangy stray running across traffic like a weirdo so we decided to bring her home. She had a lot of health issues; lots of tumors, she was nearly fully blind, etc. But she was my favorite type of dog. Happy and lazy. Total sweetheart.

A couple of days ago, she just took an abrupt turn from perfectly normal to not being able to walk, having seizures, etc. She was actually scheduled for the vet this morning (we were pretty sure that they were going to tell us we should put her to sleep), but she passed during the night instead. 

I'm very sorry to hear that :( my condolences.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you gave that dog an amazing life though. 

• Like 2

Dogs are awesome.  Unfortunately my sister had to put her dog down last month.  Last week she gave birth to her first kid, so her pup never got to meet her baby.  

Years ago I had a dog, she was great.  I was beyond devastated when I had to put her down. 

17 hours ago, Forge said:

So sorry to hear that, friend. Sounds like she had a short life... but one that was fulfilling and happy once you found her. That's all that matters, quality over quantity.