Dogs

D82

On 7/13/2020 at 10:26 AM, Heimdallr said:

I did one of those DNA breed tests, and the results I got back on Anders were:

Which test did you use? I'm thinking about getting one, there's more to Sasha than pit/chocolate lab...

I'm working and have Futureama on in the background. It's the Jurassic Bark episode, so I'm taking a break and chilling on the couch with Sasha to watch it together.

Seymour's barks get Sasha's attention...

Q:  How much can a dog eat ?
A:  The world will never know

When we were little dudes, my bro and I were making pancakes...and decided to find out how many our German Short-hair would eat before giving up
So we kept tossing flapjacks into her bowl and she kept eating them...we were amazed. It was a lot of pancakes
But we stopped after a pile of em because we didn't think she would stop and we'd probably make her sick.

So...I don't know how much a dog will eat, the humans gave up first.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Q:  How much can a dog eat ?
A:  The world will never know

When we were little dudes, my bro and I were making pancakes...and decided to find out how many our German Short-hair would eat before giving up
So we kept tossing flapjacks into her bowl and she kept eating them...we were amazed. It was a lot of pancakes
But we stopped after a pile of em because we didn't think she would stop and we'd probably make her sick.

So...I don't know how much a dog will eat, the humans gave up first.

We have to be careful how much we feed our hound.  We need to keep her skinny because she has a hooded vulva and is very prone to UTIs.

Anybody have any experience with CCL (Dog's ACL, basically) injuries, with their dogs?  My Pit hurt his about a week ago, on a jog.  He had Lyme's a couple of years ago, so I originally thought he was dealing with a flare up, so that's what he was being treated for, as he was favoring the same leg as before.  Week went by, and he wasn't really getting any better, so took him back to the vet yesterday, and they diagnosed it as an injury to his CCL.  I believe he said tear.  I need to call him back today, to get some more information.  I was on speaker phone at work, when my wife took him to the vet, so everything wasn't sinking in.  The vet was laying out options, two of which involved surgery.  My dog is 9, but in really good health, outside of the knee now.  I'm not sure I want to get him surgery, if I don't have to.  He's already an incredibly anxious dog, so the process would be really hard on him, and I'm not sure he is going to remain calm enough to let the graft heal, without just being sedated for an extended period of time.  I'm nervous putting him through all of that could do more harm than good, for his quality of life he still has left.  I looked into some custom fit braces, to at least provide stability to the knee, but the effectiveness of the braces seems to be pretty heavily debated.  Anybody dealt with anything similar?  I know it is a fairly common injury.  

17 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Anybody have any experience with CCL (Dog's ACL, basically) injuries, with their dogs?  My Pit hurt his about a week ago, on a jog.  He had Lyme's a couple of years ago, so I originally thought he was dealing with a flare up, so that's what he was being treated for, as he was favoring the same leg as before.  Week went by, and he wasn't really getting any better, so took him back to the vet yesterday, and they diagnosed it as an injury to his CCL.  I believe he said tear.  I need to call him back today, to get some more information.  I was on speaker phone at work, when my wife took him to the vet, so everything wasn't sinking in.  The vet was laying out options, two of which involved surgery.  My dog is 9, but in really good health, outside of the knee now.  I'm not sure I want to get him surgery, if I don't have to.  He's already an incredibly anxious dog, so the process would be really hard on him, and I'm not sure he is going to remain calm enough to let the graft heal, without just being sedated for an extended period of time.  I'm nervous putting him through all of that could do more harm than good, for his quality of life he still has left.  I looked into some custom fit braces, to at least provide stability to the knee, but the effectiveness of the braces seems to be pretty heavily debated.  Anybody dealt with anything similar?  I know it is a fairly common injury.  

We had to get our one girl's ACL done a few years ago (I think she was about 5-6 at the time). I wouldn't worry about the healing aspect, as they aren't going to be feeling well enough to be running around right away. Once they start getting better, then you have to just manage how much they push it. 

For our girl, it got to the point where she was always walking on 3 legs. We had already scheduled it, but when she started doing that we knew it was the right choice. Not saying yours will get that bad, but dogs don't typically let tears like that heal by themselves because they don't understand what's going on. If it's a small tear, the brace might work. Unfortunately for us, once the original one healed up, her other one went (which is fairly common). Not a cheap option but she's in great shape now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

We had to get our one girl's ACL done a few years ago (I think she was about 5-6 at the time). I wouldn't worry about the healing aspect, as they aren't going to be feeling well enough to be running around right away. Once they start getting better, then you have to just manage how much they push it. 

For our girl, it got to the point where she was always walking on 3 legs. We had already scheduled it, but when she started doing that we knew it was the right choice. Not saying yours will get that bad, but dogs don't typically let tears like that heal by themselves because they don't understand what's going on. If it's a small tear, the brace might work. Unfortunately for us, once the original one healed up, her other one went (which is fairly common). Not a cheap option but she's in great shape now. 

I'm afraid of that happening, too.  If he were 5-6, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.  At 9, I'm just worried he gets one operated on, is doped out and miserable while he heals, and then the other goes, and we just do it all again.  He could be 11, by the time he's healed up on both, and then arthritis is right there.  I just don't want to feel like I'm stripping him of his last few years.  I want to do what's best for him, just not sure what that is.   Going through the procedure is going to be terrifying for him.  He is currently moving around on 3 legs, the majority of the time.  The vet did say that he will develop scar tissue around the injury, in a few months, and that will create stability in that knee.  Arthritis developing in the next few years is pretty much a given, no matter which direction we go.  

1 minute ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I'm afraid of that happening, too.  If he were 5-6, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.  At 9, I'm just worried he gets one operated on, is doped out and miserable while he heals, and then the other goes, and we just do it all again.  He could be 11, by the time he's healed up on both, and then arthritis is right there.  I just don't want to feel like I'm stripping him of his last few years.  I want to do what's best for him, just not sure what that is.   Going through the procedure is going to be terrifying for him.  He is currently moving around on 3 legs, the majority of the time.  The vet did say that he will develop scar tissue around the injury, in a few months, and that will create stability in that knee.  Arthritis developing in the next few years is pretty much a given, no matter which direction we go.  

I think if he's at the point where he's walking around on 3 legs, a brace won't fix it (although I don't know much about that aspect). If it were me, I'd probably go with the surgery. It's not going to be easy on you (or your wallet) or the dog but after a couple months, he should be back to normal.

Sorry you gotta go through this. Definitely not an easy decision or process by any means. 

• Like 1

My dog had knee surgery for a luxating patella a few years ago, and the recovery went better than expected. I had to keep him in his crate or right next to me for a few weeks to make sure he didn't try running or jumping, but other than that it wasn't bad. He also got hydrotherapy treatment to rehab the knee, and is perfectly fine now. He was only about 3-4 years old at the time though, so that made things easier.

This is why I pay for pet insurance.. I saved about $1500-$2000 on that surgery. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

My dog had knee surgery for a luxating patella a few years ago, and the recovery went better than expected. I had to keep him in his crate or right next to me for a few weeks to make sure he didn't try running or jumping, but other than that it wasn't bad. He also got hydrotherapy treatment to rehab the knee, and is perfectly fine now. He was only about 3-4 years old at the time though, so that made things easier.

This is why I pay for pet insurance.. I saved about $1500-$2000 on that surgery. 

Yup, we did hydrotherapy too and it was great. I'll definitely be getting pet insurance for any from now on. Mine are at the point where it's not worth it. 

2 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Anybody have any experience with CCL (Dog's ACL, basically) injuries, with their dogs?  My Pit hurt his about a week ago, on a jog.  He had Lyme's a couple of years ago, so I originally thought he was dealing with a flare up, so that's what he was being treated for

there's a possible link between the antibiotics used to treat Lyme Disease and a weakening of ligaments/ tendons.
So its possible the two scenarios are related. But that's a question for your vet, I'm just a random schmoe on the internet
Good luck to both of you

Just now, Shanedorf said:

there's a possible link between the antibiotics used to treat Lyme Disease and a weakening of ligaments/ tendons.
So its possible the two scenarios are related. But that's a question for your vet, I'm just a random schmoe on the internet
Good luck to both of you

Interesting.  He hadn't been on any antibiotics for his Lyme's in probably 3 years, though.  He was treated, again, for the Lyme's, after the injury occurred.   

• 2 weeks later...