Dogs

D82

• 1 month later...

So, wife and I have lost 2 dogs in the last month tragically and just have one. She’s really independent and my wife wants a snuggler again and our Boodle isn’t that. Any suggestions or people with puppies within a 6 hour radius of Central Pennsylvania? Lol.

48 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

So, wife and I have lost 2 dogs in the last month tragically and just have one. She’s really independent and my wife wants a snuggler again and our Boodle isn’t that. Any suggestions or people with puppies within a 6 hour radius of Central Pennsylvania? Lol.

No recommendations on where to get a puppy, but I find that when you go to look for a puppy, you’re gonna get one at the first place you go. I would think several shelters would have puppies. They usually do.

As for what to look for, hounds are cuddlers. And they’re everywhere in the south, at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

No suggestions? But I agree w/ the shelter..   That said, been watching this YouTube channel lately.  Apparently, these are the top 10 cuddliest breeds  ha

• Like 1

Sorry to here man. As @Daniel said, go rescue a pup from a shelter, and give them all the lovins

• Like 2

So I’m not opposed to the shelter idea but there’s a caveat, and a reason I wanted a puppy for this stage in my life.

My wife wants one to be a therapy dog and for that you typically need to start their training really early. A therapy dog at her workplace would be great for the kids she has to talk to.

10 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Definitely adopt. You can either go to a shelter or just work with a rescue who pulls from shelters. The rescue I work with gets in puppies all the time (either from the south or they find a stray momma with her puppies). They usually take care of fixing the dog and any medical needs before you get the dog too where as you're on your own with a breeder and if you unintentionally get one from a mill (they disguise themselves really well), most puppies end up with medical conditions.  

I will say, pits are the snuggliest dogs I've ever had. Never had one that wasn't glued to your lap on the couch. 

Also sorry for your loss. Losing pets is so heartbreaking and having two that close together has to be rough. 

Edited by JonStark

So I’m not opposed to the shelter idea but there’s a caveat, and a reason I wanted a puppy for this stage in my life.

My wife wants one to be a therapy dog and for that you typically need to start their training really early. A therapy dog at her workplace would be great for the kids she has to talk to.

I wouldn't say that you necessarily need a puppy for that. It's more based on the breed of dog and temperament of that specific one. Anything up to 5 years old would probably be able to get into that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Really sorry to hear about your dogs.  That is really rough.  

Do you have an preference in size?  My Pitbull Terrier is probably the snuggliest dog I've owned.  

Also, what is a Boodle?  Beagle/Poodle?

On 7/22/2020 at 10:03 AM, OkeyDoke21 said:

Anybody have any experience with CCL (Dog's ACL, basically) injuries, with their dogs?  My Pit hurt his about a week ago, on a jog.  He had Lyme's a couple of years ago, so I originally thought he was dealing with a flare up, so that's what he was being treated for, as he was favoring the same leg as before.  Week went by, and he wasn't really getting any better, so took him back to the vet yesterday, and they diagnosed it as an injury to his CCL.  I believe he said tear.  I need to call him back today, to get some more information.  I was on speaker phone at work, when my wife took him to the vet, so everything wasn't sinking in.  The vet was laying out options, two of which involved surgery.  My dog is 9, but in really good health, outside of the knee now.  I'm not sure I want to get him surgery, if I don't have to.  He's already an incredibly anxious dog, so the process would be really hard on him, and I'm not sure he is going to remain calm enough to let the graft heal, without just being sedated for an extended period of time.  I'm nervous putting him through all of that could do more harm than good, for his quality of life he still has left.  I looked into some custom fit braces, to at least provide stability to the knee, but the effectiveness of the braces seems to be pretty heavily debated.  Anybody dealt with anything similar?  I know it is a fairly common injury.  

So my lab (roughly 1.5 years of age at the time of the injury, now 2.5 years) had a pretty bad leg injury where he really could not walk or put any pressure on the leg for a few days but gave no other signs of pain, believe it happened while on a run as well.  We never got confirmation of tendon/bone/muscle injury, we did start on a plethora of meds first (MovoFlex, Flexadin, Anitol) and after about 2 months saw improvement but any hard movements/playing (and the dog could really care less about pain, ball is life) so it was hard (read impossible) to keep him calm without burning physical energy. Essentially anytime we did activity the limp came back and generally worse, before we started with more tests I decided to add in additional turmeric/glucosamine supplements on top of what he had been getting and overhauled his diet completely.  Since those changes plus a few more months of meds + limited activity (summer heat helped) there have been zero issues and I have tested it quite a bit.  The vet suspected ligament ultimately but we never got confirmation which I guess as the dog gets older could present issues, but as of today we are all good.  Physical therapy was going to be the next course of action if meds/diet didn't work before surgery. Similar to the brace, a lot of talk on the actual pros and cons of that. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 11:55 AM, Heimdallr said:

My dog had knee surgery for a luxating patella a few years ago, and the recovery went better than expected. I had to keep him in his crate or right next to me for a few weeks to make sure he didn't try running or jumping, but other than that it wasn't bad. He also got hydrotherapy treatment to rehab the knee, and is perfectly fine now. He was only about 3-4 years old at the time though, so that made things easier.

This is why I pay for pet insurance.. I saved about $1500-$2000 on that surgery. 

If you don't mind my asking, what pet insurance do you use?  I dropped Embrace a few months back and I always debate back and forth if its worth it again. 

9 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

If you don't mind my asking, what pet insurance do you use?  I dropped Embrace a few months back and I always debate back and forth if its worth it again. 

If you only have a dog or two, pet insurance is definitely worth it.

• Like 1

Just now, D82 said:

If you only have a dog or two, pet insurance is definitely worth it.

agreed, just make sure to read the fine print.

On the insurance we were offered, it didn't really cover the main things we wanted to cover and was really just a way to enrich the insurer
I'm sure there are good ones/bad ones - but dive into the details before writing the check
With our pooch, we had a full list of expenses over the previous 3 years and we asked:

"Which of these would have been covered ?"     The answer was: " umm...not many "

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

agreed, just make sure to read the fine print.

On the insurance we were offered, it didn't really cover the main things we wanted to cover and was really just a way to enrich the insurer
I'm sure there are good ones/bad ones - but dive into the details before writing the check
With our pooch, we had a full list of expenses over the previous 3 years and we asked:

"Which of these would have been covered ?"     The answer was: " umm...not many "

Of course. Always important to read the fine print and know what you’re paying for.