21 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

If you don't mind my asking, what pet insurance do you use?  I dropped Embrace a few months back and I always debate back and forth if its worth it again. 

I use ASPCA insurance. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

So my lab (roughly 1.5 years of age at the time of the injury, now 2.5 years) had a pretty bad leg injury where he really could not walk or put any pressure on the leg for a few days but gave no other signs of pain, believe it happened while on a run as well.  We never got confirmation of tendon/bone/muscle injury, we did start on a plethora of meds first (MovoFlex, Flexadin, Anitol) and after about 2 months saw improvement but any hard movements/playing (and the dog could really care less about pain, ball is life) so it was hard (read impossible) to keep him calm without burning physical energy. Essentially anytime we did activity the limp came back and generally worse, before we started with more tests I decided to add in additional turmeric/glucosamine supplements on top of what he had been getting and overhauled his diet completely.  Since those changes plus a few more months of meds + limited activity (summer heat helped) there have been zero issues and I have tested it quite a bit.  The vet suspected ligament ultimately but we never got confirmation which I guess as the dog gets older could present issues, but as of today we are all good.  Physical therapy was going to be the next course of action if meds/diet didn't work before surgery. Similar to the brace, a lot of talk on the actual pros and cons of that. 

After researching it, when he originally went through the injury, it was stated to be most common in labs, and pitbulls, for some reason.  We did end up getting him the surgery, and it was really rough on him, like I suspected it would be, but he is almost back to being his old self, now.   He did end up having a fully ruptured ligament, when the surgeon got in there.  He is on a supplement that has glucosamine, but I can't think of the name of it, off the top of my head.

The first 2-3 weeks after surgery were pretty rough.  He was on an absurd amount of medication, and then developed stress colitis, so he basically just pooped on himself, and everything around him for almost 10 days.  I was on a constant rotation of washing/drying his blankets and bedding covers multiple times a day. That required even more medication.  At one point, he was taking around 16 pills, a day, and had to spend the majority of his day sedated.  Once that cleared up, he was much better, though.  He wouldn't put any weight on it, and the muscle in the leg started to seriously atrophy, since by that point, he had been holding that leg off the ground probably 6+ weeks. 

I ended up getting him a life vest (he's a terrible swimmer.  I've had to dive in the water to save him twice in his life when hes fallen in, and then just sinks, after he stops paddling.  He never swam as a pup), and started swimming with him a few times a week, in the lake by my house.  I mainly just hold a strap on the top, and he swims in place for a few "sets."  Started at just 30 seconds, but now hes good for 2 minutes+.  That helped, a lot.  It forced him to use the leg, without really thinking about it, without putting much stress on the joint/graft,  itself.  

Even today, he doesn't have the leg down all the time, but he is using it more and more.  Just got the ok from the vet to take him on longer walks, so I'm going to start walking him up a trail on a steep hill nearby, as the incline forces him to use the leg, instead of just hopping on his good leg.  That's good news, as the time of getting in the water with him is quickly coming to a close.  His good leg has gotten massive though, haha.  Need to get him back to being balanced. 

He will end up with arthritis in that knee before too long, and it's likely just a matter of time before he tears the same ligament in the other leg.  Just need to have his currently repaired leg strong enough by then to support him, if it does happen.  Next set of dogs, I will have pet insurance.

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Really sorry to hear about your dogs.  That is really rough.  

Do you have an preference in size?  My Pitbull Terrier is probably the snuggliest dog I've owned.  

Also, what is a Boodle?  Beagle/Poodle?

English Bulldog Poodle mix

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

agreed, just make sure to read the fine print.

On the insurance we were offered, it didn't really cover the main things we wanted to cover and was really just a way to enrich the insurer
I'm sure there are good ones/bad ones - but dive into the details before writing the check
With our pooch, we had a full list of expenses over the previous 3 years and we asked:

"Which of these would have been covered ?"     The answer was: " umm...not many "

Literally exact same thing happened to me, when I got it I shopped around but did not get into the detail.  After about a year of various things, submitted it and I think they said I have $12 worth of coverage.  

4 hours ago, D82 said:

Of course. Always important to read the fine print and know what you’re paying for.

LULZ, haven't you known me here long enough.  I don't (possibly can't) read. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

After researching it, when he originally went through the injury, it was stated to be most common in labs, and pitbulls, for some reason.  We did end up getting him the surgery, and it was really rough on him, like I suspected it would be, but he is almost back to being his old self, now.   He did end up having a fully ruptured ligament, when the surgeon got in there.  He is on a supplement that has glucosamine, but I can't think of the name of it, off the top of my head.

The first 2-3 weeks after surgery were pretty rough.  He was on an absurd amount of medication, and then developed stress colitis, so he basically just pooped on himself, and everything around him for almost 10 days.  I was on a constant rotation of washing/drying his blankets and bedding covers multiple times a day. That required even more medication.  At one point, he was taking around 16 pills, a day, and had to spend the majority of his day sedated.  Once that cleared up, he was much better, though.  He wouldn't put any weight on it, and the muscle in the leg started to seriously atrophy, since by that point, he had been holding that leg off the ground probably 6+ weeks. 

I ended up getting him a life vest (he's a terrible swimmer.  I've had to dive in the water to save him twice in his life when hes fallen in, and then just sinks, after he stops paddling.  He never swam as a pup), and started swimming with him a few times a week, in the lake by my house.  I mainly just hold a strap on the top, and he swims in place for a few "sets."  Started at just 30 seconds, but now hes good for 2 minutes+.  That helped, a lot. 

Even today, he doesn't have the leg down all the time, but he is using it more and more.  Just got the ok from the vet to take him on longer walks, so I'm going to start walking him up a trail on a steep hill nearby, as the incline forces him to use the leg, instead of just hopping on his good leg.  That's good news, as the time of getting in the water with him is quickly coming to a close.  His good leg has gotten massive though, haha.  Need to get him back to being balanced. 

He will end up with arthritis in that knee before too long, and it's likely just a matter of time before he tears the same ligament in the other leg.  Just need to have his currently repaired leg strong enough by then to support him, if it does happen.  Next set of dogs, I will have pet insurance.

Glad to hear he is on the mend.  It is funny, owning a dog is the best and also most stressful thing imaginable at times.  I can't imagine life without my dog, but I also can't imagine the stress of a similar situation.  Had close calls for sure but so far lucky.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Glad to hear he is on the mend.  It is funny, owning a dog is the best and also most stressful thing imaginable at times.  I can't imagine life without my dog, but I also can't imagine the stress of a similar situation.  Had close calls for sure but so far lucky.  

That's because you're a good owner. We get a ton of owner surrenders/cruelty cases in where the dogs are in rough shape because people neglect them so bad. They basically treat them like a plant to water once a day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

That's because you're a good owner. We get a ton of owner surrenders/cruelty cases in where the dogs are in rough shape because people neglect them so bad. They basically treat them like a plant to water once a day.

Not much gets me fired up and or emotional, but that type of stuff does it every time.  A few of the orgs I donate to I legit can't even read the stories half the time.  End goal, somehow, is to amass a massive amount of land and shelter/rehabilitate dogs and eventually other animals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acowboys62 said:

Not much gets me fired up and or emotional, but that type of stuff does it every time.  A few of the orgs I donate to I legit can't even read the stories half the time.  End goal, somehow, is to amass a massive amount of land and shelter/rehabilitate dogs and eventually other animals. 

Just make sure you're donating to local shelters/rescues. The ASPCA, HSUS and PETA are all bad and very little of the donations go to actually help animals and they're more so interested in ending animal ownership altogether. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, D82 said:

Just make sure you're donating to local shelters/rescues. The ASPCA, HSUS and PETA are all bad and very little of the donations go to actually help animals and they're more so interested in ending animal ownership altogether. 

My monetary donations go towards K9/Veterans associations and only a select 3, my time and physical donations are all local shops. Such BS the larger orgs are 100% crooks. 

• Like 3

hR1rneT.jpg

Lem's got company now 

• Like 5