Dogs

D82

bzIPehl.png

Had radiographs done and submitted to OFA (Orthopedic Foundation of America) to be rated, just to see how her hips and elbows look. 

These are just preliminary, as they can't be graded officially until she's done growing at 2 years of age, but her hips were rated as excellent (superior joint conformation, no hip dysplasia) and normal elbows (clear of elbow dysplasia). Hoping we get the same results next year. 

Anybody have a dog swallow wooden toothpicks? My brothers golden doodle swallowed about five a week ago. He has been taken to the vet and they are waiting on a radiologist to review the x-rays. The dog has had blood in stool and thrown up blood. Taking medication for it. Preliminary x-rays are encouraging with one potential area in the front abdomen for an obstruction. The bloody stool and vomit had yielded a couple of the toothpicks which supposedly came out "spongy" to the touch.

Any experience or prognosis any dog owners can come up with?

10 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Anybody have a dog swallow wooden toothpicks? My brothers golden doodle swallowed about five a week ago. He has been taken to the vet and they are waiting on a radiologist to review the x-rays. The dog has had blood in stool and thrown up blood. Taking medication for it. Preliminary x-rays are encouraging with one potential area in the front abdomen for an obstruction. The bloody stool and vomit had yielded a couple of the toothpicks which supposedly came out "spongy" to the touch.

Nah, the most similar thing I've had is my dogs eating sticks outside, but thankfully that never turned into anything. I'm assuming their stomachs were able to break it down over time.

That's rough but if the toothpicks are able to pass and x-rays look alright, he should be fine. Just have to hope they didn't puncture anything inside but the vet would be able to tell you if that was the case. 

18 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Really just depends on if anything was punctured or not. I'd imagine the radiologist has reviewed the x-rays by now - any follow-up?

7 hours ago, D82 said:

Really just depends on if anything was punctured or not. I'd imagine the radiologist has reviewed the x-rays by now - any follow-up?

Not yet, no word even when we will find out or how. Expecting a call. He is doing a bit better it seems. Still not great but okay and on medication.

13 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Not yet, no word even when we will find out or how. Expecting a call. He is doing a bit better it seems. Still not great but okay and on medication.

Well, either they don't think it's too serious...or somebody's not excelling at their job. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

@D82 Thanks for the heads up about ProPlaque. Took my pup in for her spa day today and they usually brush her teeth but they said that they had zero reason to and that they looked better than they ever have. Stuff works miracles! Much appreciated!

You bet! My friend recommended it to me and I've been using it ever since, does wonders for their teeth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff said:

What is it exactly?

It's a powder supplement you add to their food once a day. It's made from dry sea kelp and somehow it helps break down the tartar/plaque on their teeth and prevents it from building up. It's a little pricey, I just bought the 420g container for $72 off Amazon but the 180g container lasted me about four or five months so this one should last for a while.

12 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Gorgeous dog

Thanks! She should make some really nice puppies assuming she pans out like her breeder & I think she will.

1 minute ago, D82 said:

It's a powder supplement you add to their food once a day. It's made from dry sea kelp and somehow it helps break down the tartar/plaque on their teeth and prevents it from building up. It's a little pricey, I just bought the 420g container for $72 off Amazon but the 180g container lasted me about four or five months so this one should last for a while.

Thanks! She should make some really nice puppies assuming she pans out like her breeder & I think she will.

Can you link me to it sir? And you’re very welcome. I’ve always been a fan of GS’s. I am a golden retriever guy though.

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Can you link me to it sir? And you’re very welcome. I’ve always been a fan of GS’s. I am a golden retriever guy though.

https://www.swedencareusa.com/product/proden-plaqueoff-powder-60-g/

That's there main website, but if you look on Amazon they usually have it at a cheaper cost. 

Golden's are nice, have a few friends that show them. Their coat just requires way too much maintenance for me 😂 

Just now, D82 said:

https://www.swedencareusa.com/product/proden-plaqueoff-powder-60-g/

That's there main website, but if you look on Amazon they usually have it at a cheaper cost. 

Golden's are nice, have a few friends that show them. Their coat just requires way too much maintenance for me 😂 

Thank you and tumbleweeds everywhere. Luckily we got hardwood floors.

• Like 1