Dogs

D82

On 8/13/2022 at 9:47 AM, D82 said:

Had plans to maybe breed Hurry next year...but I think depending on how well she does at the big show in October this year we may hold off until 2024. 

Assuming she passes her final OFAs in November of course 🤞

You have someone picked out for her? Be breeding her Black and Tan right?

10 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

You have someone picked out for her? Be breeding her Black and Tan right?

I have a boy in mind, but that could change between now and 2024 if another one catches my eye. 

She doesn't carry for black or sable...so should be black & tan with maybe some bicolors thrown in. Unless I breed to a black male but, there really aren't any out there I like right now. 

4 hours ago, D82 said:

I have a boy in mind, but that could change between now and 2024 if another one catches my eye. 

She doesn't carry for black or sable...so should be black & tan with maybe some bicolors thrown in. Unless I breed to a black male but, there really aren't any out there I like right now. 

So youd like to make Sables if there were a black you liked?

Were going for Silver Sables. Silver and White lines are what I grew up with and around. Dont recall ever seeing a B&T until reaching America. Which helped get my oldest going that route. Hearing about and seeing shots of the ones my siblings and me grew up around.

55 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

So youd like to make Sables if there were a black you liked?

Were going for Silver Sables. Silver and White lines are what I grew up with and around. Dont recall ever seeing a B&T until reaching America. Which helped get my oldest going that route. Hearing about and seeing shots of the ones my siblings and me grew up around.

Eh, don't really breed for color. Just looking to produce dogs that match the standard as close as possible and have excellent temperaments. 

Anybody have any training advice for my overly excited dog? He is a Aussie/Border Collie 2.5 years old and we have put him through 3 different trainers and countless Youtube videos when he was a puppy. However, there are some things that no matter how many times we correct him, use the shock collar, yell at him, tell him 'no', ect that he just still does.

The biggest thing is people coming into the house. Hes not aggressive, he is just insanely energetic and will jump all over people when they walk through the door and nothing deters him.

Its gotten to the point where we just put him outside when somebody comes over or we have to sit there and hold him on a leash/harness. Its like he forgets all of his training and commands when he sees new people and Im really getting sick of him jumping on people because its really hyper jumping, not just a 'pet me' jump.

There are just certain obediance things that he does still that despite us telling him 'no' or 'down' a million times--even using the shock collar or spanking him--he still just does.

Edited by AkronsWitness

15 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Anybody have any training advice for my overly excited dog? He is a Aussie/Border Collie 2.5 years old and we have put him through 3 different trainers and countless Youtube videos when he was a puppy. However, there are some things that no matter how many times we correct him, use the shock collar, yell at him, tell him 'no', ect that he just still does.

The biggest thing is people coming into the house. Hes not aggressive, he is just insanely energetic and will jump all over people when they walk through the door and nothing deters him.

Its gotten to the point where we just put him outside when somebody comes over or we have to sit there and hold him on a leash/harness. Its like he forgets all of his training and commands when he sees new people and Im really getting sick of him jumping on people because its really hyper jumping, not just a 'pet me' jump.

There are just certain obediance things that he does still that despite us telling him 'no' or 'down' a million times--even using the shock collar or spanking him--he still just does.

Had a Border Collie when young. That high energy/herding mentality never left him. Dog was top notch smart. Could do anything.... Unless people were around. Then he couldnt hear a word you told him cause that herding aspect overrides all. Like if you visited and were heading out to leave, hed fire up and snip your heel trying to make you come back to the herd basically.

Id love another. But I run businesses from my property with people around all the time. So afraid too. Mainly for heel sake. Dont need the lawsuits.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

It’s probably not the training, it’s likely just the breed and his energy level.

If you’re not exercising him and tiring him out mentally he’s gonna be a terror. Both of those breeds were created to work ALL DAY.  A walk around the block or 10 min of fetch isn’t gonna do it.  

Also, hitting a dog is never the right answer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Biggest thing is exercise. Days when we are having company over, all of the dogs get an extra long walk and the younger ones get played with a bunch to tire them out. Probably won't completely eliminate the craziness, but it will last a fraction of the time. 

Also, I'd strongly recommend getting him a place board and mastering that. That way, when people are coming over you can put him on a place and he's not allowed to leave it until you let him. It's pretty easy to teach, but you have to be relentless with it. Start by keeping a leash on him and repeating "place" while leading him to the board. When he gets off, you do the same thing over and over again until he realizes he's not allowed off until you give him the command. We use OK to release and the word good to let them know they are doing what we want but they still have to say there. 

Also, CBD oil may help his anxiety. He's a collie so he's energetic by nature but it may calm him a little. Just make sure you get good stuff because you get what you pay for. We use the Asher House Wellness brand which is great. 

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s probably not the training, it’s likely just the breed and his energy level.

If you’re not exercising him and tiring him out mentally he’s gonna be a terror. Both of those breeds were created to work ALL DAY.  A walk around the block or 10 min of fetch isn’t gonna do it.  

Also, hitting a dog is never the right answer.

Yeah my sister in law got a collie when they lived in a small apartment. The dog has a yard now but that was a struggle. 😆

Agreed on the hitting part. I just wish more people knew how to use an E collar correctly instead of as a form of punishment (not saying the poster above is doing that). It's such a great form of communication to help the dog understand what you want them to do. 

28 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Yeah my sister in law got a collie when they lived in a small apartment. The dog has a yard now but that was a struggle. 😆

Agreed on the hitting part. I just wish more people knew how to use an E collar correctly instead of as a form of punishment (not saying the poster above is doing that). It's such a great form of communication to help the dog understand what you want them to do. 

Herding breeds can be wild. I’ve got a kelpie and in general they have a similar temperament to border collies, Aussies, ACD’s, etc., but he’s the laziest damned dog ever lol.

He’ll go for long walks and is down for whatever (more or less, he’s like 10+ years old) but he has the most absurd off switch.  Like, naps all day every day, never destroys stuff, never barks, super chill.  He’s the exception though.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Biggest thing is exercise. Days when we are having company over, all of the dogs get an extra long walk and the younger ones get played with a bunch to tire them out. Probably won't completely eliminate the craziness, but it will last a fraction of the time. 

From what little I know it’s a combo of exercise and metal stimulation.

If you just exercise them often you’re just creating a bigger terror.  They’re still anxious, wanting something to do only now they’re in great shape.

The rule of thumb I’ve heard is 10 min of mental stimulation equates to 30 min of physical exercise.  So taking those small sessions throughout the day and practicing commands and working with them would likely do a lot more than another walk around the block.

As far as exercise, keep in mind they’re bred to work and run all day, this isn’t some fat old bulldog who’s fine with a walk once a week.  Fetch, swimming, running, etc. are what will tire them physically.  Walking next your fat arse pushing a stroller isn’t gonna challenge that dog lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Herding breeds can be wild. I’ve got a kelpie and in general they have a similar temperament to border collies, Aussies, ACD’s, etc., but he’s the laziest damned dog ever lol.

He’ll go for long walks and is down for whatever (more or less, he’s like 10+ years old) but he has the most absurd off switch.  Like, naps all day every day, never destroys stuff, never barks, super chill.  He’s the exception though.

Thats what my family dog was like. Border Collie, best dog in the world, rarely barked, had energy but nothing crazy, was incredibly intelligent, listened to every command you said and layed at your feet at all times.

Ive had this Aussie now for 2.5 years and holy crap is he nothing like my family border collie and thats the reason we got his breed in the first place. We have put more effort and training into this dog than my 2 previous dogs combined and he still is a wild child. There is no such thing as wearing him out. I would take him for a 2.5 mile walk in 90* weather and he would come back, drink some water and want to go back out and do it again.

Its not just the care/effort/training but the cost as well. We have hired 3 different dog trainers to come work with him when he was little, we spent enough time ourselves working with him every single day, he has a bare minimum 8+ different 'mental stimulation' toys, we have tried multiple forms of CBD for him, special training treats, bought 4 different kinds of bark collars and nothing works.

He took really well to training and he knows probably 10+ commands. The issue is that all of those commands go out the window when other people come over and you cant make him focus on you.  No matter how much you 'punish him' by making him go to time-out or getting the bark collar--he either powers through it or doesnt learn and does it the next time.

I dont know how many times I need to scream at this dog 'DOWN' when he jumps up on the kitchen counter before he actually learns. RIght now Ive probably said it 3,500 times. Its like he knows not to do it, because he gets down when you say it but 5 seconds later he jumps up and does it again. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

From what little I know it’s a combo of exercise and metal stimulation.

If you just exercise them often you’re just creating a bigger terror.  They’re still anxious, wanting something to do only now they’re in great shape.

The rule of thumb I’ve heard is 10 min of mental stimulation equates to 30 min of physical exercise.  So taking those small sessions throughout the day and practicing commands and working with them would likely do a lot more than another walk around the block.

As far as exercise, keep in mind they’re bred to work and run all day, this isn’t some fat old bulldog who’s fine with a walk once a week.  Fetch, swimming, running, etc. are what will tire them physically.  Walking next your fat arse pushing a stroller isn’t gonna challenge that dog lol.

Thats my issue with the Golden. She swims till exhaustion near every day. So have this thoroughbred athlete with a mountain of energy to burn off days she doesnt. Shell destroy anything that fits in her mouth and gets a little wild with people. But get that swim in, (90% of the time its in the morning). And shes the most well behaved animal rest of the day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats what my family dog was like. Border Collie, best dog in the world, rarely barked, had energy but nothing crazy, was incredibly intelligent, listened to every command you said and layed at your feet at all times.

yeah this is the exception.

Ive had this Aussie now for 2.5 years and holy crap is he nothing like my family border collie and thats the reason we got his breed in the first place. We have put more effort and training into this dog than my 2 previous dogs combined and he still is a wild child. There is no such thing as wearing him out. I would take him for a 2.5 mile walk in 90* weather and he would come back, drink some water and want to go back out and do it again.

This is exactly what he was bred to do. People see a lot of these herding dogs and think “I want a spunky dog who’s able to play fetch, is kinda rugged, not too big, smart, energetic, etc” but they don’t get what energetic means.  

Some of these dogs border on neurotic.  They need mental and physical stimulation all day every day.

Its not just the care/effort/training but the cost as well. We have hired 3 different dog trainers to come work with him when he was little, we spent enough time ourselves working with him every single day, he has a bare minimum 8+ different 'mental stimulation' toys, we have tried multiple forms of CBD for him, special training treats, bought 4 different kinds of bark collars and nothing works.

He took really well to training and he knows probably 10+ commands. The issue is that all of those commands go out the window when other people come over and you cant make him focus on you.  No matter how much you 'punish him' by making him go to time-out or getting the bark collar--he either powers through it or doesnt learn and does it the next time.

I dont know how many times I need to scream at this dog 'DOWN' when he jumps up on the kitchen counter before he actually learns. RIght now Ive probably said it 3,500 times. Its like he knows not to do it, because he gets down when you say it but 5 seconds later he jumps up and does it again. 

Not what you prolly want to hear, but if you can’t devote the time to the dog that it needs you’ve got 2 options.

1.  Try to find a better home FOR THIS BREED.  I capitalized that because I don’t want to imply you’re not a good dog owner or don’t try or whatever.  The time/energy need of those breeds is more than many can handle, especially with a job, kids, etc.  Ideally these are farm dogs or have an equally neurotic owner who spends their whole day entertaining the dog lol.

2. Lower your expeditions of what you consider good behavior to some degree.

If money isn’t huge concern and time is, maybe a local boarding facility for dog day care a couple time a week?  Let him run and play with other dogs for the whole day and then pick him up after work.