Dogs

D82

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so story time….

My Wife and I have been searching for a dog for our family for about a year now. We really want a small dog for our daughters (ages 7 and 3). I grew up with dogs. My parents had 2 Great Danes when I was a toddler and then we got a Schnauzer and then we got 2 little schnoodles. They were all great dogs. I really was hoping to find a Schnoodle for my girls, one of my parents schnoodles is still alive and both my kids get along with it great. 

Like I said, we’ve been looking for a year now with not really any luck. My wife is reluctant to go the breeder route and while I completely understand the reasonings, it also makes it that much more challenging to find a breed that you want. So last Sunday my wife texts me a picture of this dog and the description says it’s a chihuahua/poodle mix. Yes gross, but not a deal breaker for me. But the thing looks like a Weiner dog. In the pic you couldn’t really see its body so it was hard to tell. I ask my wife multiple times if she thinks it’s a Weiner dog because that’s a deal breaker for me. I hate those things. And you know, my wife has been worked at an animal hospital for 13 years so I figured she’d know better than I would. Each time she says she doesn’t believe so. 

We go see this dog last night with the girls and mind you I’ve already told my 7-year old no to 2 dogs we went to go see just because it wasn’t a good fit. And wouldn’t ya know it, we get there and this thing is a damn Weiner dog. She was really good with the girls so they’re begging me to get her and of course I’m to much of a softy to say no so I agreed to get it and I’ve been mad ever since. Just felt like I was set up because my wife 100% knew that thing was a dachshund from the moment she saw the picture and she knew if she got me to see this dog I wouldnt be able to say no to my daughters. 

Kinda being a baby about the whole thing and I know that. Just feel like I was Lied too and it doesn’t feel very good. 

3 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Ok so story time….

My Wife and I have been searching for a dog for our family for about a year now. We really want a small dog for our daughters (ages 7 and 3). I grew up with dogs. My parents had 2 Great Danes when I was a toddler and then we got a Schnauzer and then we got 2 little schnoodles. They were all great dogs. I really was hoping to find a Schnoodle for my girls, one of my parents schnoodles is still alive and both my kids get along with it great. 

Like I said, we’ve been looking for a year now with not really any luck. My wife is reluctant to go the breeder route and while I completely understand the reasonings, it also makes it that much more challenging to find a breed that you want. So last Sunday my wife texts me a picture of this dog and the description says it’s a chihuahua/poodle mix. Yes gross, but not a deal breaker for me. But the thing looks like a Weiner dog. In the pic you couldn’t really see its body so it was hard to tell. I ask my wife multiple times if she thinks it’s a Weiner dog because that’s a deal breaker for me. I hate those things. And you know, my wife has been worked at an animal hospital for 13 years so I figured she’d know better than I would. Each time she says she doesn’t believe so. 

We go see this dog last night with the girls and mind you I’ve already told my 7-year old no to 2 dogs we went to go see just because it wasn’t a good fit. And wouldn’t ya know it, we get there and this thing is a damn Weiner dog. She was really good with the girls so they’re begging me to get her and of course I’m to much of a softy to say no so I agreed to get it and I’ve been mad ever since. Just felt like I was set up because my wife 100% knew that thing was a dachshund from the moment she saw the picture and she knew if she got me to see this dog I wouldnt be able to say no to my daughters. 

Kinda being a baby about the whole thing and I know that. Just feel like I was Lied too and it doesn’t feel very good. 

I've been in a similar situation where I got suckered into keeping one of our fosters. The dog had a potential adopter, but my wife grew attached to this one and was worried that the adopter wouldn't know how to handle the dog (in her defense, he's not the easiest to manage). I agreed that we could adopt him even though it seemed impossible to make work with our current pack, but was pissy for a week or two feeling like I had no choice. 

Two years later, it worked out great. So I can definitely understand your reasoning, but just remember that the wife/kids being happy is the most important thing. That, and you get dibs on the next one. 

On 2/8/2023 at 7:42 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

We go see this dog last night with the girls and mind you I’ve already told my 7-year old no to 2 dogs we went to go see just because it wasn’t a good fit. And wouldn’t ya know it, weI get there and this thing is a damn Weiner dog. She was really good with the girls so they’re begging me to get her and of course I’m to much of a softy to say no so I agreed to get it and I’ve been mad ever since. Just felt like I was set up because my wife 100% knew that thing was a dachshund from the moment she saw the picture and she knew if she got me to see this dog I wouldnt be able to say no to my daughters. 

Similar thing happened with my family and a hound. Shes a great dog & I love her but every time that ear-splitting bark rings through the neighborhood because of a cat or squirrel or whatever, my wife gets a look 

You will grow to love that little weiner dog (eventually) 😉

But I would recommend just getting another dog, the one you wanted. Everyone in the family's happy and in my experience dogs are happier with a buddy too

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hurry's results from her basic cardiac and thyroid screenings came back...Normal on both accounts. 

So she now has 

OFA Excellent Hips
OFA Normal Elbows
OFA Thyroid Normal
OFA Basic Cardiac Normal
D/M Carrier 

I may run an echo on her before we breed in December but all signs point to her being healthy. Always nice to get confirmation of. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...