Jaguars to start Gardner Minshew

RaidersAreOne

This thread is missing the point a bit. 

Yes he deserved to keep the starting job, but they needed to see how Foles would pan out, and let's not forgot that Minshew was coming of his worst performance. 

The real question here is what will they do, going forward, if Minshew comes back and continues to play at that last game's level.

People are assuming it's a sure thing that he comes back balling, and even though that's a possibility, there's also a chance (and not so miniscule as you're all making it out) that he doesn't. 

I think he has the potential to be an above average starter in this league, bu he may not be ready, right now. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I mean let's be honest, the culture in Jacksonville is a bigger factor than that. I've never seen a team fold as fast as lawn chairs when faced with adversity more than the Jaguars.

They need to overhaul the team, from the coaching staff to the "leadership" in the locker room.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I mean let's be honest, the culture in Jacksonville is a bigger factor than that. I've never seen a team fold as fast as lawn chairs when faced with adversity more than the Jaguars.

They need to overhaul the team, from the coaching staff to the "leadership" in the locker room.

You’re not wrong.

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

Ruskie, sometimes I think you post certain things about the Jags to get rival fans riled up. And I think some people may see your post and think this is one of those time. But this is completely true. Gus Bradley was a garbage coach, but the players would run through a wall for him. The team could be losing by 20+ points (and routinely were because of how poorly prepared they were), but they’d be playing their ***** off and trying (and failing) to come back. It was a bunch of garbage players playing their heart out for a garbage coach. A week before Gus got fired, he lost the locker room and it was obvious the players had given up on him. Since that point, almost any time the team sees adversity, they just fold and stop trying. 

Even in week 2 of 2017 (after having a huge moral win week 1 that came with a dominating defensive performance), I was already remarking how the team was quitting on Marrone as soon as they faced adversity against the Titans. The team won 10 games on the backs of facing something like 7 backup QBs that year, but even then it was obvious that the team would go back to what they had been for the other 9 years that decade as soon as they faced some adversity, because the team clearly doesn’t have it in them to dig deep. I had hoped that a season of winning would show them that they could win and would kick that, but they just never did. And that’s all on leadership, because those same guys that are letting Derrick Henry posterize them while other guys are loafing around on the other side of the field late last season used to run through walls for Gus Bradley.

I can’t believe I’m actually comparing the any of the skills of a head coach with the fourth lowest win percentage in NFL history favorably to our current leadership. But here we are.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Cousins was a backup his first three seasons and broke out as soon as he became a starter.

ummm you said this as if he was sitting behind someone all three years.  RG3 got injured many times and the starting position was given to  cousins.  When he was the starter at the beginning of the season in 2015, that was his only successful season.  And that included losing in the first round of the playoffs.

Foles has had successful seasons as a full time starter outside of his superbowl run.

16 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

part of the Problem is our OL cant protect well and Minshews Mobility Helps masks that over Foles Statue in the pocket

ok I'll admit, that IS a good reason... but Minshew honestly didn't do THAT much when he replaced Foles.  He got 11 points against Tampa's defense.  All I'm saying is I think because of his massive upside, give foles a full season like teams have been doing with other QBs that were disappointing.

10 hours ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Lol, can we please put the question of Wentz vs. Foles to bed once and for all... People still want to argue that the Eagles made the wrong decision. I feel bad for Foles, but we tried to worn everybody he is not above average starting QB. He might put 3-4 games (maybe more) where he looks great and like a franchise QB, and fools people. 

I'll take him back if the Jags cut him, and who know we might fool another team again later on, and he brings us another 3rd Round pick in return lol.

ummm eagles aren't doing good at all right now with wentz.

I believe wentz USED to be the better option, but after having Foles save the season twice, he's mentally damaged and will probably never be the same.

4 hours ago, thedorchannel said:

ok I'll admit, that IS a good reason... but Minshew honestly didn't do THAT much when he replaced Foles.  He got 11 points against Tampa's defense.  All I'm saying is I think because of his massive upside, give foles a full season like teams have been doing with other QBs that were disappointing.

11 points in 1 half = 22 points a game.  had Foles Not had the INT and 2 Fumbles including 1 Returned for a TD Jags win. 

22 to 18 which is an odd looking score but honestly look at the bucs Offensive numbers. they didnt really earn/wow u with their stats offensively.  they benefited Tremendously from the 3 turnovers and Pretty much any team will Lose when losing the turnover battle that badly. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

the problem with the jags is Coughlin is a terrible Front office guy to oversee the football operations.   Caldwell can not draft in the early rounds for his life unless he lucked into a good selection(IE Ramsey but if i recall the entire first 3 rounds were hits with JACK AND Ngakoue). i do thinbk we need to move on from Marrone and the entire staff. id like to keep our WR coach cuz he seemed to do good developing DJ Chark and id like to keep Deflippio cuz i think hes done a good job with our offense considiring our Olines lack of ability to do well in pass pro to having to go to from a vet to a 6th round rookie at qb.   

8 hours ago, pwny said:

Ruskie, sometimes I think you post certain things about the Jags to get rival fans riled up. And I think some people may see your post and think this is one of those time. But this is completely true. Gus Bradley was a garbage coach, but the players would run through a wall for him. The team could be losing by 20+ points (and routinely were because of how poorly prepared they were), but they’d be playing their ***** off and trying (and failing) to come back. It was a bunch of garbage players playing their heart out for a garbage coach. A week before Gus got fired, he lost the locker room and it was obvious the players had given up on him. Since that point, almost any time the team sees adversity, they just fold and stop trying. 

Even in week 2 of 2017 (after having a huge moral win week 1 that came with a dominating defensive performance), I was already remarking how the team was quitting on Marrone as soon as they faced adversity against the Titans. The team won 10 games on the backs of facing something like 7 backup QBs that year, but even then it was obvious that the team would go back to what they had been for the other 9 years that decade as soon as they faced some adversity, because the team clearly doesn’t have it in them to dig deep. I had hoped that a season of winning would show them that they could win and would kick that, but they just never did. And that’s all on leadership, because those same guys that are letting Derrick Henry posterize them while other guys are loafing around on the other side of the field late last season used to run through walls for Gus Bradley.

I can’t believe I’m actually comparing the any of the skills of a head coach with the fourth lowest win percentage in NFL history favorably to our current leadership. But here we are.

it's not like there's no talent there, either. it's sort of crazy to watch when the titans play the jags because this isn't like we're just out-talenting your roster and overwhelming you guys. it's the exact same formula every single time: play physical, build a score or two lead, then cruise while the jags self-destruct. imo if that culture gets changed you're looking at a pretty quick turnaround, because there's a lot of good pieces there. even fournette, who i thought was pretty much a scrub to this point, has come on, and minshew is looking like at least an okay bridge QB you can give a shot to be the guy next year.

On 12/2/2019 at 3:11 PM, thedorchannel said:

but look at WHY he loses his job.  He had back to back 10+ win seasons with the eagles and was traded for NO REASON to the Rams.

with the rams, he won half his games...  so they bench him for Goff... look winning half your games isn't good, but at least let him finished the season since he has proven that he can win games in the recent past.

then after being a backup for a while he goes back to the eagles and wins them a superbowl and then saves their season last year and takes them to the playoffs.

Coaches just have this thing with Nick Foles that if he isn't amazing right away, they get rid of him.  But he's done some things in his career that are amazing.  I think that warrants giving him more than 4-5 games to prove himself.

You're confusing Case Keenum and Foles. Foles went 4-7 in 11 starts, stunk up the joint, and then got benched for Case Keenum. Keenum started the next year, went 4-5 in his first 9 starts (worth noting that he didn't play well), and then got benched for Goff.

15 hours ago, Speedyg said:

As bad as Caldwell has been, and I think he should have gone for the Joeckel/Fowler/Bortles plus Gus Bradley choices alone, I'm not sure you can pin Doug/Foles on him. 

It was Shad who hired Tom to be over Dave. And it was at Tom's recommendation that the Jags stayed with Doug after his interim stint.

As for the team keeping Blake, who knows. Reports seem to indicate that Tom was convinced by Dave to stick with Blake. In which case, that's on Dave and Tom both. But who started the premature) extension talk with Bortles? Who made Fournette the guy at 4? Who has been pulling the trigger on FA bust Norwell? 

Regardless, I think there's enough on paper to argue Dave should never have been retained when a change was made at the top with TC.

And there shouldn't be one now either

TBF, hard to blame him for that one. Norvell was very good in Carolina.

• Like 1