Jaguars to start Gardner Minshew

RaidersAreOne

22 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Who within the franchise is able to make this determination of what is the best move for the franchise? Shad Khan? He's the only one standing after a purge. What's best for the franchise is irrelevant to someone who is on their way out.

Are you suggesting that Khan request Minshew starts? Because that's drifting into Jerry Jones/Dan Snyder territory, which I doubt Shad would want to become. He's a great owner in that he understands that he's there to cut the checks, not make decisions.

I'm really struggling to figure out your angle at this point, help me out.

Doug made the call to play minshew because he felt the mobility minshew would give us the better chance to win. 

Khan probably wanted him starting as that is what the fans wanted

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

The future gm/president would have the film to evaluate the players

Again... why would anyone want to help the guy who is taking your job from you? The future GM/President doesn't matter to Coughlin/Marrone/Caldwell, do they? 

Scenario: Your boss comes to you when you get in to work and says "Pack up, I am firing you in a month." Around lunchtime, that same boss tells you "Hey, can you do this for me so that the guy coming in to replace you knows where you left off on everything?"

There is no saving your job, you're a dead man walking. What benefit is there to listen at that point?

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If this was the case, then why bench him to begin with?

Tom Coughlin.

There was a big fight between him and Marrone following the game Sunday. It's stated in one of the threads in the Jags forum as it got leaked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Who within the franchise is able to make this determination of what is the best move for the franchise? Shad Khan? He's the only one standing after a purge. What's best for the franchise is irrelevant to someone who is on their way out.

Are you suggesting that Khan request Minshew starts? Because that's drifting into Jerry Jones/Dan Snyder territory, which I doubt Shad would want to become. He's a great owner in that he understands that he's there to cut the checks, not make decisions.

I'm really struggling to figure out your angle at this point, help me out.

If the people he hired won't do what's best, he should either step in or relieve them of their jobs. My angle is that it was a stupid decision from the outset. That has been my angle for weeks. A number of people disagreed with me back when they announced they'd start Foles.

35 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If the people he hired won't do what's best, he should either step in or relieve them of their jobs

"What's best" is a very subjective position, is it not? Some might think what's best is going with the veteran who is a proven commodity with big wins under their belt. Others think that the rookie with an air of excitement and better mobility in his game would be what's best. Is either right? We can assume what is right and what is wrong, but we can't say it for certain right now.

35 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

My angle is that it was a stupid decision from the outset. That has been my angle for weeks. A number of people disagreed with me back when they announced they'd start Foles.

My stance has been that it was the "we need to win" decision. Right, wrong or indifferent, it was the best chance the Jags had to compete in the division - go with the guy who has lower upside but a higher floor, go with the veteran over the rookie.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

If this was the case, then why bench him to begin with?

Cuz coughlin probably told marrone start foles cuz foles looked good in his 1 quarter and they thought foles was the better option due to experience cuz they all on the hotseat. Marrone realized last week in game that minshew gives the better chance cuz better release and mobility.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Again... why would anyone want to help the guy who is taking your job from you? The future GM/President doesn't matter to Coughlin/Marrone/Caldwell, do they? 

Scenario: Your boss comes to you when you get in to work and says "Pack up, I am firing you in a month." Around lunchtime, that same boss tells you "Hey, can you do this for me so that the guy coming in to replace you knows where you left off on everything?"

There is no saving your job, you're a dead man walking. What benefit is there to listen at that point?

Does minshew move the win needle. The answer is yes because of his mobility cuz our oline is playing terrible. The entire organization is tied at the hip and marrone feels the mobility will help us win. 

Coughlin is the biggest problem with the Jags right now. It's always a balance with Coughlin, he is very Parcellsesque. The Jags needed his discipline when he was signed, but the problem is that he always ends up pissing off players (see the Jalen Ramsey saga which I'd say is at least 50% Coughlin's fault), and he undermines his own coaching staff. The distractions and locker room dysfunction isn't on Marrone, he's tried to keep it all together...but Coughlin is just awful. Now you can say that the offensive line, inability to stop the run, and penalties are Marrone's fault, but I do believe that coaching only has so much of an effect if it is a dysfunctional environment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

"What's best" is a very subjective position, is it not? Some might think what's best is going with the veteran who is a proven commodity with big wins under their belt. Others think that the rookie with an air of excitement and better mobility in his game would be what's best. Is either right? We can assume what is right and what is wrong, but we can't say it for certain right now.

We can absolutely say for certain what is best right now. You all but conceded that point earlier. Starting Foles was a shortsighted move made by men desperate to save their jobs. It was not what's best for the franchise.

24 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

We can absolutely say for certain what is best right now.

No, we cannot. What if we get the Gardner Minshew from London these last four games? Is that an improvement?

Starting Foles was a shortsighted move made by men desperate to save their jobs. 

Incorrect, it was the only card left to play once the 6th round rookie started to play like a 6th round rookie.

It was not what's best for the franchise.

Yes it was. The Jags were trying to win football games, and Foles was the safer option over the higher upside Minshew.

4 hours ago, lolsurebro said:

How anyone doesn't see this is beyond me. It's pretty simple to understand.

How anyone doesn't see that starting the "safer option" over a rookie who has shown ability on a team going nowhere is a bad move long term is beyond me. It's quite simple to understand. If Minshew were a first rounder, nobody would seriously entertain the thought. The only reason you start a middling bridge QB is if your rookie isn't ready or you're a contender. Neither apply/applied to this situation.