Jaguars to start Gardner Minshew

RaidersAreOne

Foles needs a clean pocket to be effective. Jags pass protection dont look that great from what Ive seen and Minshew can make plays with his legs

Nick Foles my dude I hate it had to be him. But he is a great reliever out of the bullpen and not a starting pitcher

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elky said:

Benching Minshew should have gotten Marrone fired.

It wasn’t his call. It came from Coughlin and company, who were doing it out of self-preservation.

Imagine going to your boss and explaining why the year after you spent $54M on Blake Bortles (with an actual payout of $26.5M) to play 13 games before you cut him, you then spent $88M on Nick Foles (with an actual payout that will end up being $46.625M) to play 10 snaps while the team goes 7-9 or worse. 

It’s one thing to call Foles a sunk cost if the Jaguars were winning games, but when they’re losing - from the perspective of the guys who have to answer for spending money on sunk costs, he’s their only hope. If you’re Coughlin and Caldwell, you hope that the team somehow wins some games and you can blame the poor start on Minshew’s raw talent, or if Foles plays poorly you try to spin that it was due to his injury and lack of reps that he struggled. And I’m sure that’s the spin they’re trying to put on it now.

And to be clear, I’m not defending starting Foles. In fact, when we signed him I stated that this was more evidence that we’re the worst run franchise in the entire NFL. But Caldwell and Coughlin can’t go to Shad and explain away another major mistake, especially given that Caldwell has already been given a leash that has reached historic proportions; last season he joined Matt Millen as only the second GM in NFL history to officially botch both a head coach hiring and a top 20 QB selection and not be fired (though technically Steve Keim’s decision to move on from Wilks and Rosen after just one season adds him to the list as well). In fact, your suggestion that they fire Marrone would make him the only one in NFL history to screw up two head coaching hires under that scenario and also mean that they add a big free agent QB to the list of failures. Four combined failures at the two most important positions in the NFL should guarantee that everyone loses their job; so you can see why the front office couldn’t really justify putting themselves in that position, even if it made the most sense for the franchise as a whole to stick with Minshew. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pwny said:

It wasn’t his call. It came from Coughlin and company, who were doing it out of self-preservation.

Imagine going to your boss and explaining why the year after you spent $54M on Blake Bortles (with an actual payout of $26.5M) to play 13 games before you cut him, you then spent $88M on Nick Foles (with an actual payout that will end up being $46.625M) to play 10 snaps while the team goes 7-9 or worse. 

It’s one thing to call Foles a sunk cost if the Jaguars were winning games, but when they’re losing - from the perspective of the guys who have to answer for spending money on sunk costs, he’s their only hope. If you’re Coughlin and Caldwell, you hope that the team somehow wins some games and you can blame the poor start on Minshew’s raw talent, or if Foles plays poorly you try to spin that it was due to his injury and lack of reps that he struggled. And I’m sure that’s the spin they’re trying to put on it now.

And to be clear, I’m not defending starting Foles. In fact, when we signed him I stated that this was more evidence that we’re the worst run franchise in the entire NFL. But Caldwell and Coughlin can’t go to Shad and explain away another major mistake, especially given that Caldwell has already been given a leash that has reached historic proportions; last season he joined Matt Millen as only the second GM in NFL history to officially botch both a head coach hiring and a top 20 QB selection and not be fired (though technically Steve Keim’s decision to move on from Wilks and Rosen after just one season adds him to the list as well). In fact, your suggestion that they fire Marrone would make him the only one in NFL history to screw up two head coaching hires under that scenario and also mean that they add a big free agent QB to the list of failures. Four combined failures at the two most important positions in the NFL should guarantee that everyone loses their job; so you can see why the front office couldn’t really justify putting themselves in that position, even if it made the most sense for the franchise as a whole to stick with Minshew. 

This is a great analysis of the situation. I think a lot of Bears fans (including myself) are interested in seeing if Foles could help push Mitch in the right direction or just take the job from him in 2020.

2 hours ago, thedorchannel said:

I just don't understand why some QBs like Winston and Cousins get to have 4-5 seasons to prove they can make it in the NFL, while Foles has to do it in 3-4 games.

Look, he's not playing great, but the guy has several winning seasons and a RECENT superbowl win under his belt.  Give him a chance.

Cousins was a backup his first three seasons and broke out as soon as he became a starter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thedorchannel said:

I just don't understand why some QBs like Winston and Cousins get to have 4-5 seasons to prove they can make it in the NFL, while Foles has to do it in 3-4 games.

Look, he's not playing great, but the guy has several winning seasons and a RECENT superbowl win under his belt.  Give him a chance.

part of the Problem is our OL cant protect well and Minshews Mobility Helps masks that over Foles Statue in the pocket

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Thank you lord.

Outside of Philly, Foles is useless. I’m praying some team takes him off our hands this off-season.

Hopefully Gardner balls out these last 4 games and the new GM can build around him this off-season. 

This tweet says it all:

he was moderately effective in KC as well but that again was a Reid/Pederson offense

Lol, can we please put the question of Wentz vs. Foles to bed once and for all... People still want to argue that the Eagles made the wrong decision. I feel bad for Foles, but we tried to worn everybody he is not above average starting QB. He might put 3-4 games (maybe more) where he looks great and like a franchise QB, and fools people. 

I'll take him back if the Jags cut him, and who know we might fool another team again later on, and he brings us another 3rd Round pick in return lol.

11 hours ago, pwny said:

As bad as Caldwell has been, and I think he should have gone for the Joeckel/Fowler/Bortles plus Gus Bradley choices alone, I'm not sure you can pin Doug/Foles on him. 

It was Shad who hired Tom to be over Dave. And it was at Tom's recommendation that the Jags stayed with Doug after his interim stint.

As for the team keeping Blake, who knows. Reports seem to indicate that Tom was convinced by Dave to stick with Blake. In which case, that's on Dave and Tom both. But who started the premature) extension talk with Bortles? Who made Fournette the guy at 4? Who has been pulling the trigger on FA bust Norwell? 

Regardless, I think there's enough on paper to argue Dave should never have been retained when a change was made at the top with TC.

And there shouldn't be one now either