Jaguars to start Gardner Minshew

RaidersAreOne

14 hours ago, kramxel said:

This thread is missing the point a bit. 

Yes he deserved to keep the starting job, but they needed to see how Foles would pan out, and let's not forgot that Minshew was coming of his worst performance. 

The real question here is what will they do, going forward, if Minshew comes back and continues to play at that last game's level.

People are assuming it's a sure thing that he comes back balling, and even though that's a possibility, there's also a chance (and not so miniscule as you're all making it out) that he doesn't. 

I think he has the potential to be an above average starter in this league, bu he may not be ready, right now. 

They didn't need to see how Foles would pan out. It was the sort of move that a bad franchise makes. Sunk cost fallacy.

11 hours ago, pwny said:

Ruskie, sometimes I think you post certain things about the Jags to get rival fans riled up. And I think some people may see your post and think this is one of those time. But this is completely true. Gus Bradley was a garbage coach, but the players would run through a wall for him. The team could be losing by 20+ points (and routinely were because of how poorly prepared they were), but they’d be playing their ***** off and trying (and failing) to come back. It was a bunch of garbage players playing their heart out for a garbage coach. A week before Gus got fired, he lost the locker room and it was obvious the players had given up on him. Since that point, almost any time the team sees adversity, they just fold and stop trying. 

Even in week 2 of 2017 (after having a huge moral win week 1 that came with a dominating defensive performance), I was already remarking how the team was quitting on Marrone as soon as they faced adversity against the Titans. The team won 10 games on the backs of facing something like 7 backup QBs that year, but even then it was obvious that the team would go back to what they had been for the other 9 years that decade as soon as they faced some adversity, because the team clearly doesn’t have it in them to dig deep. I had hoped that a season of winning would show them that they could win and would kick that, but they just never did. And that’s all on leadership, because those same guys that are letting Derrick Henry posterize them while other guys are loafing around on the other side of the field late last season used to run through walls for Gus Bradley.

I can’t believe I’m actually comparing the any of the skills of a head coach with the fourth lowest win percentage in NFL history favorably to our current leadership. But here we are.

This is some revisionist here. Doug's team had struggles with certain teams: the ones that completely outphysical (Titans) or outcoach them (Reid, playoffs Belichick).

Doug marrone's first win, several players including Telvin and Jalen spoke out, without being asked, that they dedicated the game to Gus.  Gus never lost that locker room, they were just a bad team and Gus was just a bad coach. Henry and Murray steamrolled that Jags team on TNF the same way Henry usually steamrolled this team under Doug.

The 2017 team had several big plays nullified by bad reviews/penalties...and they went right back and made a big play (sometimes immediately after).

That team was resilient...as long as the game is somewhat close. That's not a knock on effort or players giving up. it's a problem with the team being run based and a QB who is extremely inconsistent and erratic especially when from behind.

That defense was really not that much different than the 2018 version...it was good but not great.

The difference was that the 2017 team got really really REALLY opportunistic at the best possible time with creating turnovers...often with one's that scored points too.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

TBF, hard to blame him for that one. Norvell was very good in Carolina.

Maybe true, but Caldwell's big money FA signings were Gerhart, Beadles, Julius Thomas, Malik (hit), Parnell (OK I guess), Gipson, Ivory. 

2017 class was the best with Calais, Bouye, Church, and...im forgetting one signing here I think. But 2017 is also Tom's 1st year, so this is when things get muddy as far as who gets blame/credit for certain moves.

2018 was Norwell, Sefarian Jenkins, let arob go and resigned Lee, signed Moncrief, Bortles extension.

2019 well...here we are.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

This is some revisionist here. Doug's team had struggles with certain teams: the ones that completely outphysical (Titans) or outcoach them (Reid, playoffs Belichick).

Doug marrone's first win, several players including Telvin and Jalen spoke out, without being asked, that they dedicated the game to Gus.  Gus never lost that locker room, they were just a bad team and Gus was just a bad coach.

Yes, I’m revising history by posting a link to direct discussion of how the team quit on Marrone week 2, made as the game was in progress. And here’s someone on the forum stating they saw it was obvious the team had finally quit on Gus right when he was fired.

Yes, the players loved Gus and probably still do. But they clearly were over him being a coach and had given up. It’s plainly evident that they stopped putting in effort. And pretending like people haven’t been saying this has been a problem for three full years now is where the real revisionist history lies. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thedorchannel said:

ummm eagles aren't doing good at all right now with wentz.

I believe wentz USED to be the better option, but after having Foles save the season twice, he's mentally damaged and will probably never be the same.

Ummm watch a few games before you just say things to say it. 

Wentz is and will always be better than Foles. 

People out here acting like if they'd started Minshew the last two games, they'd be playoff bound with big Owl aspirations.  Come on.  Minshew has been amazing given the circumstances, found money...and showed some promise.  But this team sucks hard, and was slumping bad leading up to Foles getting his shot.  It's not like Foles had proved he was gonna suck in his part of a quarter of football he'd played to start the year, before the injury.  Now...he's proved it.  Now you can move on.  Foles opportunity as the Jaguars starting QB is now over.  You answered a question some idiots spent almost a hundred million dollars asking.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Foles should never have been traded from Philadelphia in the first place.  The guy won a Super Bowl for them - their first one ever.  That alone should have earned him another contract, even if it was as a backup.

Foles was a FA. And the money on the open market was way better than backup money 

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

You're confusing Case Keenum and Foles. Foles went 4-7 in 11 starts, stunk up the joint, and then got benched for Case Keenum. Keenum started the next year, went 4-5 in his first 9 starts (worth noting that he didn't play well), and then got benched for Goff.

TBF, hard to blame him for that one. Norvell was very good in Carolina.

I feel like any lg we signed they stunk up the joint like zane Beadles

8 hours ago, pwny said:

Yes, I’m revising history by posting a link to direct discussion of how the team quit on Marrone week 2, made as the game was in progress. And here’s someone on the forum stating they saw it was obvious the team had finally quit on Gus right when he was fired.

Yes, the players loved Gus and probably still do. But they clearly were over him being a coach and had given up. It’s plainly evident that they stopped putting in effort. And pretending like people haven’t been saying this has been a problem for three full years now is where the real revisionist history lies. 

The team quit on Marrone in week 2 of 2017? The same season they went on a tear and playoff run and nearly beat the patriots before being out coached with 7 minutes left in the game? 

That team could have folded several times that season with the inability of the offense to do anything,  yet it didn't.  It could have pointed fingers between offense/defense. Shoot plenty outside were wondering if that was the case, and then we got TONS of sound bites...unsolicited from players, rallying around our inconsistent much maligned offense.

Yes, it is revisionist.  You're justifying your take then by what is happening now. That team hadn't given up on Doug, not in 2017, and especially not in week 2 of that season. 

This 2019 team lost it's starting QB 17 snaps in game 1 and was playing with a rookie 6th rounder. It's top corner (and possibly best player) asked for a trade week 2 and was making excuses up to avoid being with the team. 

Our FO completely mishandled the situation with the pointless Jalen press con and Tom/Dave not saying anything amidst all the speculation.

And the team kept fighting and didn't "fold" until the London game.  Local media were, I don't want to say gushing, but pointing to Doug as a reason the wheels haven't fallen off.

It's very clear there are tons of friction in that building.  It usually is when teams are getting stomped in subsequent weeks. We've got reports of heated players in locker room, shouting matches between Tom and Doug, reports of FO and coaches pointing fingers at each other.

Those last two are bigger reasons as to why the wheels have fallen off.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

People out here acting like if they'd started Minshew the last two games, they'd be playoff bound with big Owl aspirations.  Come on.  Minshew has been amazing given the circumstances, found money...and showed some promise.  But this team sucks hard, and was slumping bad leading up to Foles getting his shot.  It's not like Foles had proved he was gonna suck in his part of a quarter of football he'd played to start the year, before the injury.  Now...he's proved it.  Now you can move on.  Foles opportunity as the Jaguars starting QB is now over.  You answered a question some idiots spent almost a hundred million dollars asking.

I brought it up in the Jets thread when the "mania" returned after he was "exposed" by the Saints. The Jets did everything they shouldn't vs. Minshew.

Texans gameplan weren't as extreme as Saints, but they largely kept contain on Gardner and he struggled in that game too.

I expect that teams will go back to those two games moving forward on hiw to defend Gardner until he can show that he can beat those shell/contain coverage.

In the mean time our OL still can't block consistently without holding and our defense still gets gashed by run offense without sacrificing other parts of the unit.

Brent and Austen Lane are talking about this roster being gutted and there's not enough player depth. Many were concerned about our LBs heading into the season, and sure enough that ended up being a major issue with Telvin abruptly leaving the team and Ryan (who was their "big" LB signing) being hurt.

The TE was another position of concern, and in similar fashion,  also got decimated by injuries to Oshaug and Oliver.

But hey, when you're paying however much money in dead cap for Bortles and another 20M for another average QB... that's what happens to your team.

We have basically allocated cap resources equivalent to what a prime Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Manning would get with the combined cap hit we have allocated for two average QBs that arent playing for the team. 

• Like 2