Jaguars to start Gardner Minshew

RaidersAreOne

16 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

I brought it up in the Jets thread when the "mania" returned after he was "exposed" by the Saints. The Jets did everything they shouldn't vs. Minshew.

Texans gameplan weren't as extreme as Saints, but they largely kept contain on Gardner and he struggled in that game too.

I expect that teams will go back to those two games moving forward on hiw to defend Gardner until he can show that he can beat those shell/contain coverage.

In the mean time our OL still can't block consistently without holding and our defense still gets gashed by run offense without sacrificing other parts of the unit.

Brent and Austen Lane are talking about this roster being gutted and there's not enough player depth. Many were concerned about our LBs heading into the season, and sure enough that ended up being a major issue with Telvin abruptly leaving the team and Ryan (who was their "big" LB signing) being hurt.

The TE was another position of concern, and in similar fashion,  also got decimated by injuries to Oshaug and Oliver.

But hey, when you're paying however much money in dead cap for Bortles and another 20M for another average QB... that's what happens to your team.

We have basically allocated cap resources equivalent to what a prime Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Manning would get with the combined cap hit we have allocated for two average QBs that arent playing for the team. 

Sad face emoji.

My prediction is that Minshew will get in there and be better than Foles, but the reality of the situation is that the franchise is in shambles and the Jags are going to lose. For some strange reason people hold Minshew to a higher standard. When the Saints shut him out, just like they have shut down many offenses this season...he was “exposed”. But when any other rookie QB that was drafted higher gets shut out, he’s just “taking his lumps” or “learning”. When can’t Minshew just be a rookie QB? He has shown even that he deserves the opportunity to play in this league. It’s pretty clear that draft stock should be thrown out the window because like many very successful players that were drafted after the 5th round before him...the draft is an imperfect science and teams are simply wrong about some guys. I don’t know if Minshew is going to be a good starting QB, but he has earned the opportunity to have that opportunity, even more so than guys like Haskins and Finley, and pretty darn similar to the top two. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

My prediction is that Minshew will get in there and be better than Foles, but the reality of the situation is that the franchise is in shambles and the Jags are going to lose. For some strange reason people hold Minshew to a higher standard. When the Saints shut him out, just like they have shut down many offenses this season...he was “exposed”. But when any other rookie QB that was drafted higher gets shut out, he’s just “taking his lumps” or “learning”. When can’t Minshew just be a rookie QB? He has shown even that he deserves the opportunity to play in this league. It’s pretty clear that draft stock should be thrown out the window because like many very successful players that were drafted after the 5th round before him...the draft is an imperfect science and teams are simply wrong about some guys. I don’t know if Minshew is going to be a good starting QB, but he has earned the opportunity to have that opportunity, even more so than guys like Haskins and Finley, and pretty darn similar to the top two. 

This is my whole thing.

For some odd reason even though Minshew is also a rookie and in a less than great situation he's supposed to be carrying this team to wins and beating the playoff level teams he plays while throwing to Chark (great), Dede (he's ok), Conley, O'Leary, O'Shaugnessy, etc. with well below average pass protection.

Why is he held to a different standard? He can't take his lumps like most rookies because he was a 6th rounder? Or?

Edited by .Buzz
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

They didn't need to see how Foles would pan out. It was the sort of move that a bad franchise makes. Sunk cost fallacy.

Just by the sheer amount of money invested they in him, you do expect he's given more than a fair chance to show something.

Don't know how you dismiss that.

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Because it's a classic example of a sunk cost.

Was it though?

I'd qualify Foles as an unknown quantity at the time he got injured. He did lead the Jags on a TD drive, capped off with a nice TD toss to Chark - a very well thrown pass into tight coverage, the ball dropped into the only spot it could be. It was a fairly good debut - minus the broken clavicle.

For as much as people liked Minshew, he had flaws, ones that were very exploitable. Why continually opt to exposing those flaws when you could have an opportunity to improve with a (somewhat) proven commodity in Foles ready to pick up where he left off?

(Full disclosure, I'm not a Minshew fan...)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Was it though?

I'd qualify Foles as an unknown quantity at the time he got injured. He did lead the Jags on a TD drive, capped off with a nice TD toss to Chark - a very well thrown pass into tight coverage, the ball dropped into the only spot it could be. It was a fairly good debut - minus the broken clavicle.

For as much as people liked Minshew, he had flaws, ones that were very exploitable. Why continually opt to exposing those flaws when you could have an opportunity to improve with a (somewhat) proven commodity in Foles ready to pick up where he left off?

I'll offer my counter points here:

1. Foles is absolutely a known commodity in the NFL. You're not going to get "Guy who led the Eagles to a Superbowl win" Foles consistently. It's just like when Flacco won us the Superbowl - we expected that guy to show up every day and it never happened. Same thing with Foles. What you get consistently from him is mediocre QB play, with spots of great and spots of horrible.
  2. Minshew absolutely has flaws, but it's his rookie season and he's already shown you he can be the guy you want to build your franchise around in the future.
  3. Your season is already over, why waste time on Foles vs. letting Minshew finish an impressive rookie year and get more experience leading into next year?
  4. How many fans actually want to see Foles play at this point vs. Minshew? It seems like (at least for me, Jags fans might have to weigh in here) Minshew already has fan support more than Foles does.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Was it though?

Yes, it was. I'm not sure how anybody could think Foles is an unknown at this point or at that point.