Broncos place DE Derek Wolfe on IR

RaidersAreOne

Before the draft Wolfe was considered as high motor player and he was it. Not too pretty but solid on each play. He wants to be there for long time. He take a discount last time and another next year. Between 6/8 m / year is very good. 

He’s not HOF, he’s not big money, he’s just put his hand in the dirt and try to crush it. I hope he stays on with the Broncos and retires as one.

Edited by French Fan
  • Like 1

I hope he does return if we can retain him for under 8M. He seems a good scheme fit, a tremendous locker room guy and a familiar face to keep the casual fans involved as we rebuild. This really isn't the NBA where you can do a full Trust the Process rebuild, you need vets and youth. Wolfe would be a great one to keep around. Hell, so would Von and Harris. This defense can still play.

If Wolfe is willing to stay for 6-7M per year, and only 2 years guaranteed...no objections.   The market says he'd get 10M on the market AAV, with mid 20M's guaranteed.     I know he wants to stay, but this is also his last payday.    At 10M+....jeez, can't do it.   

Keep in mind the last times we heard about vets we absolutely needed to keep on 3rd contracts were Matt Paradis, TJ Ward, Darian Stewart, Manny Sanders, Danny Trevathan, and guys who had injury histories and wear/tear were Ronald Leary.   Our trade of Talib was predicated on the principle that he wasn't worth the $ anymore.  It's no coincidence that Paradis is struggling mightily in CAR - his pass pro is again exposed in a big way.      

The meat grinder positions are even tough on 2nd contracts - Brandon Marshall / Malik Jackson were contracts that fizzled out in a huge way.    The only 2 guys who proved their worth out of all the contracts were guys with elite athleticism and no real injury history prior to the 3rd contract  - Trevathan and Sanders.    Everyone else - has declined dramatically.   

And keep in mind - each time this happens, we get the inevitable call on how we need to keep the guy because of what he brings as a leader / impact guy - TJ Ward, Paradis, Jackson, etc.   Yet, in the end, it's the decline that happens afterwards that shows it's the right call to avoid paying even close to market rates.    The only exceptions are the guys with elite athleticism - because that skill set ages most gracefully.  The meat grinder positions just don't.   As much as it pains me to say it, Wolfe fits squarely in the latter category.

Again, if Wolfe wants to take a HUGE discount - great.   But if not, then as unsentimental as it is, the history on 3rd contracts in trench positions, let alone in meat grinder trench positions, doesn't just suggest it, it screams to wish him well and get paid elsewhere.  

Edited by Broncofan

FWIW total class act - but it also doesn’t sound like a guy who’s going to give another discount at all costs to stay, by acknowledging that could have been his last game as a Bronco.  Don’t blame him one bit either. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

If Wolfe is willing to stay for 6-7M per year, and only 2 years guaranteed...no objections.   The market says he'd get 10M on the market AAV, with mid 20M's guaranteed.     I know he wants to stay, but this is also his last payday.    At 10M+....jeez, can't do it.   

Keep in mind the last times we heard about vets we absolutely needed to keep on 3rd contracts were Matt Paradis, TJ Ward, Darian Stewart, Manny Sanders, Danny Trevathan, and guys who had injury histories and wear/tear were Ronald Leary.   Our trade of Talib was predicated on the principle that he wasn't worth the $ anymore.  It's no coincidence that Paradis is struggling mightily in CAR - his pass pro is again exposed in a big way.      

The meat grinder positions are even tough on 2nd contracts - Brandon Marshall / Malik Jackson were contracts that fizzled out in a huge way.    The only 2 guys who proved their worth out of all the contracts were guys with elite athleticism and no real injury history prior to the 3rd contract  - Trevathan and Sanders.    Everyone else - has declined dramatically.   

And keep in mind - each time this happens, we get the inevitable call on how we need to keep the guy because of what he brings as a leader / impact guy - TJ Ward, Paradis, Jackson, etc.   Yet, in the end, it's the decline that happens afterwards that shows it's the right call to avoid paying even close to market rates.    The only exceptions are the guys with elite athleticism - becuase that skill set ages most gracefully.  The meat grinder positions just don't.   As much as it pains me to say it, Wolfe fits squarely in the latter category.

Again, if Wolfe wants to take a HUGE discount - great.   But if not, then as unsentimental as it is, the history on 3rd contracts in trench positions, let alone in meat grinder trench positions, doesn't just suggest it, it screams to wish him well and get paid elsewhere.  

I agree with everything you have to say but, wrong as it may sound, this is an organization right now that needs to take PR into consideration when structuring the roster. 20,000 no-shows for the most recent game, you don’t jettison a fan favorite especially when looking at the cap next year allows to retain him. 

We went into “win now” for the last 5 years for PR/corporate sponsor/Joe Ellis’ survival reasons. Now, paying Wolfe fair market value needs to happen. He sent that tweet you mentioned with Elway & Co. in mind as he knows his value to THIS organization at THIS time better than anyone. 

Wolfe will be back.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

6-7 is not realistic though. If you want a discount, you're likely in the 8-a smidge below 10 range. I'm okay with that. Is Derek?

• Like 1

This is typically around the time the Broncos work on extensions. Is there an opportunity to get a "feel-good" post-injury deal you might not otherwise get? Some financial security right now for Wolfe after another injury may be appealing.

The real hope is that you get this Simmons deal done. Please don't let this become a franchise tag dance. We're likely losing Chris so everyone will need as many reps as possible, I'd hate to see Simmons not practice with the team all offseason. 

• Like 1

Both posts all excellent points, @BroncoBruin

I think if Derek wants 3 years, $27m with $18 guaranteed you give it to him. We’re looking at $70-$80m in cap space, you can pay that for a starter especially considering his off-field value to the team/franchise.

Furthermore, sign Simmons and CHJ and you’ll still have a ton of room left for sign a top-tier vet or 2 or 3. Remember, we have a lot of money tied up in Callahan and James and neither has played. You hope they’re healthy. You get Chubb back. You still have Von. You fortify the OL, get another WR, have Lock with some game action under his belt so Scangarello/Munchak can make a real offense suited to his skills and we’re not far away from contending for a playoff spot. The AFC sucks right now, outside Baltimore and (maybe) KC, no one in the conference is close to competing with the top 6, 7, 8 teams in the NFC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Both posts all excellent points, @BroncoBruin

I think if Derek wants 3 years, $27m with $18 guaranteed you give it to him. We’re looking at $70-$80m in cap space, you can pay that for a starter especially considering his off-field value to the team/franchise.

Furthermore, sign Simmons and CHJ and you’ll still have a ton of room left for sign a top-tier vet or 2 or 3. Remember, we have a lot of money tied up in Callahan and James and neither has played. You hope they’re healthy. You get Chubb back. You still have Von. You fortify the OL, get another WR, have Lock with some game action under his belt so Scangarello/Munchak can make a real offense suited to his skills and we’re not far away from contending for a playoff spot. The AFC sucks right now, outside Baltimore and (maybe) KC, no one in the conference is close to competing with the top 6, 7, 8 teams in the NFC.

You forgot the Pats. With the defense they've got they can compete with anyone.

On 12/2/2019 at 9:58 PM, 1234567 said:

Me too. I went to college at Wyoming and continue to follow them. Allen is a once in a two or three generation talent in terms of athleticism and arm ability. His biggest knock from watching him play live, was his head scratching inconsistency. No joke, I’ve seen him thread a 45 yard rope between two defenders and land it on the money just to turn around and miss his next two passes on wide open slant routes. In fact, short to intermediate routes seemed to be what he struggled with the most in college which to me indicated a footwork issue. On long routes where he had to really set his feet and fire it, he always threw great. He’s really improved over the last two seasons though, and in hindsight I would have been just fine with it had we picked him. 

This sounds a lot like my experiences with another generational type of talent......Michael Vick.  I saw the majority of his home games at VT live, and saw him make throws that, to this day, I've never seen anyone capable of making.  I will never forget one particular pass (I forget the opponent, though) where he stepped off a little to the side as if he was going to throw a 5-10 yard crossing pattern.  Instead, and he still never stepped into the throw, he slings it about 45 yards down the middle of the field ON A LINE.  Overthrew his intended WR by about 15 yards, but it was one of the most impressive, non-conventional throws I've ever seen in my life, regardless of the outcome!

• Like 2

On 12/4/2019 at 10:59 AM, 3Amigos_FOREVER said:

This sounds a lot like my experiences with another generational type of talent......Michael Vick.  I saw the majority of his home games at VT live, and saw him make throws that, to this day, I've never seen anyone capable of making.  I will never forget one particular pass (I forget the opponent, though) where he stepped off a little to the side as if he was going to throw a 5-10 yard crossing pattern.  Instead, and he still never stepped into the throw, he slings it about 45 yards down the middle of the field ON A LINE.  Overthrew his intended WR by about 15 yards, but it was one of the most impressive, non-conventional throws I've ever seen in my life, regardless of the outcome!

Greetings, fellow hokie