Lions place 1st round pick T.J. Hockenson on IR

flyguy1609

Given how often the lions have high first round picks you would think they would have more success.

Since 2000-Stafford, Johnson...Backus (kinda)

Hockenson was a reach to begin with and has been absent outside his first game. I know it takes years sometimes for a TE to develop but we’ve already drafted 2 first round TEs that have busted.

Its exhausting being a Lions fan and getting these same ol story players.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He's an awesome prospect but I'm still iffy on taking a TE that high.

I mean, its only because it takes a few years for them to develop so that you negate the advantages of the cheap labor. you can find decent ones later in the draft, but having a guy who is both an elite pass catcher and run blocker is super rare and puts the offense at a great schematic advantage. 

He is no George kittle though (5th round pick) and I feel like that is who he was drafted to be (Iowa TE)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He's an awesome prospect but I'm still iffy on taking a TE that high.

It was a very questionable move value wise. You don't take a TE in the first round let alone a the top ten because the value that a Tight End just isn't there. The Lions are picking again in the top 10, no surprise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TimeForChange said:

Given how often the lions have high first round picks you would think they would have more success.

Since 2000-Stafford, Johnson...Backus (kinda)

Hockenson was a reach to begin with and has been absent outside his first game. I know it takes years sometimes for a TE to develop but we’ve already drafted 2 first round TEs that have busted.

Its exhausting being a Lions fan and getting these same ol story players.

How was he a reach? Nearly everyone had this guy in the top 10 come draft day. They didn’t reach he just had a rough season. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

How was he a reach? Nearly everyone had this guy in the top 10 come draft day. They didn’t reach he just had a rough season. 

They reached. They took a player who was a want rather than a need and there were better options for the Lions there. 

34 minutes ago, TimeForChange said:

They reached. They took a player who was a want rather than a need and there were better options for the Lions there. 

That doesn’t constitute a reach. Clelin Ferrell was a reach. Hockenson went around the area he was slated by literally everyone. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, taylor made said:

It was a very questionable move value wise. You don't take a TE in the first round let alone a the top ten because the value that a Tight End just isn't there. The Lions are picking again in the top 10, no surprise.

Would you take Kittle in the top 10, full hindsight? Or a healthy Gronk? Gonzo? 

The positional value is lower for sure, but the trigger can/should still get pulled if you think they’re going to be be absolutely dominant tight ends.