Lions place 1st round pick T.J. Hockenson on IR

flyguy1609

9 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I haven't really watched any Bills games but taking Player X over Hockenson has been a discussion we have had in the Lions forum. Obviously Oliver is one of those guys in the discussion. PFF has them both rated in the mid-60's (Oliver and Hock). Are you seeing an impact from Oliver that maybe is translating to other players and he's not being credited for? 

Oliver has 4 sacks in the last 3 games and has been making a difference freeing up other players. PFF can kick rocks. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

Kerryon did well before he was injured but I don't think it had anything to do with Hock really...  

TE's are so hard to evaluate.   Like the 2017 draft with Howard, Njoku, and Engram all going in the first round.  Neither one has made a major impact on their teams.   But none of those guys were drafted top 10 although Howard was slated to be a top 10 pick by most.

Yep. I had him as the highest-graded offensive player in the draft. He hasn't been bad, by any means, and after last year I thought he'd be a top-5 TE this season. Turns out Bruce Arians, the same guy that was responsible for a few top-10 yardage offenses in AZ where TEs combined for like 30 receptions on the season, hasn't given the TEs a super productive season. Oopsie.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Yep. I had him as the highest-graded offensive player in the draft. He hasn't been bad, by any means, and after last year I thought he'd be a top-5 TE this season. Turns out Bruce Arians, the same guy that was responsible for a few top-10 yardage offenses in AZ where TEs combined for like 30 receptions on the season, hasn't given the TEs a super productive season. Oopsie.

Yep, its definitely a large part of why he isn't doing as good is because of Arians and that offense.   But still, if you watch he just has consistency and focus issues.   Both in blocking and receiving dropping passes, causing turnovers, missing blocks etc...

I still have hope he will develop though all is not lost yet.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 10:40 PM, ET80 said:

Yeah, a few people felt as if he was the best offensive player in the draft - anyone questioning this is really revising history on that.

He was the "cleanest" offensive prospect in the draft.  Probably could argue he was the "cleanest" propsect in the entire draft.  But that's not to say that the pick was warranted.  Going back to 2000, the NFL has drafted 24 TEs in the first round (1.3 per draft).  Of those 24, only four were drafted in the top 10 which included Kellen Winslow (2004, 6th overall), Vernon Davis (2006, 6th overall), and Eric Ebron (2014, 10th overall) besides Hockenson.  In terms of cAV (according to PFR), they rank 8th, 2nd, and 11th.  Of those three, I'd argue that only Vernon Davis lived up to his draft status in any regard.  But the problem is who they could have had.  The 49ers could have had Haloti Ngata.  The Browns could have had Big Ben.  The Lions could have had Aaron Donald.  There's no way you can tell me those teams are better off with their TEs.  The question is who was picked shortly after Hockenson should the Lions have chosen?  Brian Burns and Ed Oliver seem like two obvious choices right now.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 5:58 PM, N4L said:

I mean, its only because it takes a few years for them to develop so that you negate the advantages of the cheap labor. you can find decent ones later in the draft, but having a guy who is both an elite pass catcher and run blocker is super rare and puts the offense at a great schematic advantage. 

He is no George kittle though (5th round pick) and I feel like that is who he was drafted to be (Iowa TE)

"Skittles" was a 5th rounder?!??!  What a steal that was!  The guy is amazing.

On 12/2/2019 at 4:49 PM, TimeForChange said:

Given how often the lions have high first round picks you would think they would have more success.

Since 2000-Stafford, Johnson...Backus (kinda)

Hockenson was a reach to begin with and has been absent outside his first game. I know it takes years sometimes for a TE to develop but we’ve already drafted 2 first round TEs that have busted.

Its exhausting being a Lions fan and getting these same ol story players.

That's not too bad.  In the previous decade, in the dark days of the Millen era, it seemed like you had a Top 5 pick every year and nothing ever changed.  Stafford and Megatron were both great picks.