Black Widow đź•· (Marvel 07-09-21) Theatres and Di$ney+

thrILL!

54 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Made sense for the story

Reveal hidden contents

My hope is that this is just the beginning of the character and we see them come back in a more true form. Like it can easily be explained that what her father did was corroding her brain further and further past what they could save and now she just have this need to fight and add more input towards fighting. 

So we get to the point where Taskmaster is just picking fights with heroes randomly like in the comics and becomes that mercenary sort of character. Especially with Disney plus they are bringing a lot of people back, Taskmaster would be such an easy one because in a lot of shows/films it can be an easy action sequence to drop in.

Spoiler

It being the daughter wasn’t what bother as much as how they made Taskmaster a generic robotic villain. It felt like a failed version of the Winter Soldier in CA:TWS to me. I hope you’re right about the future with Disney plus though. There’s still so much “meat on the bone” for Taskmaster.

Edited by TitanSlim

I liked it - I feel I would have really liked it if it was released in chronological order (after Civil War, in essence).

Spoiler

Only downside would be the post credit scene, you couldn't really set that up if the movie took place after Civil War.

Action scenes felt really intense, had a Jason Bourne feel to em. Florence Pugh was great as Yelena - her dry delivery was timed well and always got a laugh out of me.

It's not a top 10 Marvel movie - probably closer to Thor: The Dark World than Captain America: The Winter Soldier but it was a solid effort overall and a good send-off for Natasha.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Man... that was a much more brutal movie than I was expecting from an MCU affair as far as language and fight scenes. Thought it was good. Would have loved to have seen it in theaters. 

This gives me a lot of hope if/when Deadpool makes his triumphant entry into the MCU.

It was really good. My only real gripe is that it would have come out in 2017 and we could have easily had a different end credit scene. I wouldn't call it great, but it was better than a lot of "bigger" MCU movies.

Action was great, very well done right choreography. I loved the prison break scene.

It seems like Rachel Weisz and David Harbor always nail their roles, and Florence Pugh is going to be a great addition to the MCU.

I won't add Loki because a lot of how that lands will be determined how the finale goes, but here is my off the cuff MCU ranking

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  2. Avengers: Infinity War
  3. Avengers: Endgame
  4. The Avengers
  5. Captain America: Civil War
  6. Doctor Strange
  7. Iron Man
  8. Thor: Ragnarok
  9. Guardians of the Galaxy
  10. WandaVision
  11. Captain America: The First Avenger
  12. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  13. Thor
  14. Ant-Man
  15. Spiderman: Homecoming
  16. Black Widow
  17. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2
  18. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  19. Spiderman: Far From Home
  20. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  21. Black Panther
  22. Iron Man 2
  23. Captain Marvel
  24. Iron Man 3
  25. The Incredible Hulk
  26. Thor: The Dark World

1-5 are too of the genre classics

6-10 are great to excellent

11-20 are good to great

21-24 are average to solid

25-26 are below average to meh

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 2

Really liked it. Florence Pugh was bae before and continues to be bae now. Loved the entire final act and how it brought Natasha full circle. During her interrogation of Dreykov I kept thinking back to past scenes like her opening scene in Avengers and the scene with Loki in the hulk cage or her confrontation with Pierce in Winter Soldier. I loved that she goaded him into violence for a reason. So damn good that entire scene. It made me want more Natasha in solo affair but sad that we wont get it. 

Also LOL at all the people who are upset by the Taskmaster reveal like you gave an ISH about him prior to this flick. Dude is a D level mercenary type character in the comics that almost never gets used with hardly any backstory at all. I buy 10-20 comics weekly and could care less that they drastically changed the character. They used him in this film EXACTLY how they use him in the comics, which is a blunt object in front of the real threat. 

• Like 3

On 7/10/2021 at 10:00 AM, TitanSlim said:
  Hide contents

It being the daughter wasn’t what bother as much as how they made Taskmaster a generic robotic villain. It felt like a failed version of the Winter Soldier in CA:TWS to me. I hope you’re right about the future with Disney plus though. There’s still so much “meat on the bone” for Taskmaster.

Spoiler

Ahh ok, yeah hopefully when we see her next we get some personality and not just more Terminator killing machine.

I was figuring Taskmaster was going to help set up more for Phase 4. I don't have any comic background though. I'm glad for Pugh being around. It was an enjoyable movie to watch since we haven't had one in so long.

I thought...

Spoiler

In Norway, that looked a lot like where Wanda was at the end of Wandavision. Widow tell her about that place in between this movie and Infinity War when they were on the run for 2 years?

10 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Also LOL at all the people who are upset by the Taskmaster reveal like you gave an ISH about him prior to this flick. Dude is a D level mercenary type character in the comics that almost never gets used with hardly any backstory at all. I buy 10-20 comics weekly and could care less that they drastically changed the character. They used him in this film EXACTLY how they use him in the comics, which is a blunt object in front of the real threat. 

Taskmaster isn't a mindless drone trotted out for special missions though like DC's Amazo. And really, in the MCU we already kind of got this with Winter Solider. The spirit of the character is that he's a lone wolf for-hire mercenary that has a pretty brash personality. In the last few years in particularly he's been featured in more media other than comics. Wouldn't say he's a D level villain like The Shocker or something. Didn't mind the reveal that it's a girl. Could have been Tony Masters or Tina Masters. Just seemed like the reason why Taskmaster was in the film in the first place was more so as an afterthought. Like they all sat down and said they needed a reason for why Natasha had this dark/tragic history in that's been alluded to for a while now in the MCU, and it has to tie into Budapest. They do the setup of how she got to SHIELD by killing the daughter for the Russian boss hog, and then just have the little girl come back as Taskmaster. Felt flimsy, and like it could have been anyone. Taskmaster is more so an easter egg in this regard. And I guess it doesn't help that the abilities aren't the person's, but a result of a tech suit. I dunno, felt like they really could have done better. Not as bad as the Iron Man 3 bait and switch at least. 

Taskmasters has some good backstory in comics that can be explored. Like how his abilities have basically been an advantage, and a curse in regards to his professional and personal livelihood. Taskmaster: Unthinkable goes into this along with his 2002 miniseries. He has way more dimension than what we got in the Black Widow film. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1