College/NFL Comparisons

zappa13004

On 12/3/2019 at 6:20 PM, BrownLeader said:

RBs

Etienne  - bigger Kenyan Drake

That's fine. I like it.

Swift - DeAngelo Williams

Swift is so darn explosive. He runs circles around DeAngelo from a speed perspective.

Jonathan Taylor - stocky Marlon Mack

Marlon Mack? I don't see this one at all.

AJ Dillion - Derrick Henry

A much crappier version.

JK Dobbins - Carlos Hyde

In what world? They aren't similar at all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'll stand by my Emmitt Smith comparison. About the same size, similar low to the ground running style, more shifty than fast, get tough yards, good leg drive, an quietly explosive while not a true breakaway homerun threat...great lateral ability and vision.

22 hours ago, MWil23 said:

not a burner.

Are you talking about JK Dobbins here? Because I've seen several people say he doesn't have homerun speed. I think that's crazy talk.

18 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Derrick Brown = Chris Jones (but could be Gerard Warren)

Why do you think he could be Gerard Warren? By all accounts, Brown is a supreme team leader and has great work habits. At least from what I've gathered.

13 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Shenault - Sammy Watkins

What? Shenault is going to run a high 4.5 probably. Watkins dominated with his speed and agility. Shenault dominates because he runs good routes and runs hard after the catch. But Shenault is slow.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll stand by my Emmitt Smith comparison. About the same size, similar low to the ground running style, more shifty than fast, get tough yards, good leg drive, an quietly explosive while not a true breakaway homerun threat...great lateral ability and vision.

I don't know about this one either. I think JK is a stud, but Emmitt Smith was a lot more naturally powerful. I don't think Smith was ever as fast as Dobbins is either. Smith is a little more naturally powerful whereas Dobbins has more juice. Both did have ELITE level balance.

26 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Are you talking about JK Dobbins here? Because I've seen several people say he doesn't have homerun speed. I think that's crazy talk.

He's not in the Barry Sanders, CJ2K, LT, Marshall Faulk, or Saquon Barkley realm. He definitely has the ability to breakaway and score, but he's not a once in a five year/decade burner.

5 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Why do you think he could be Gerard Warren? By all accounts, Brown is a supreme team leader and has great work habits. At least from what I've gathered

Not in terms of work ethic and character, I'm not going to lie, its just something missing from Brown with me. He's active, powerful, has an outstanding motor, it something missing to me, I just cant put a finger on it

22 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I think Master Teague falls more in line with Hyde.

I get more of an Emmitt Smith feel. 5'10, 215, break arm tackles, elite vision, good lateral movement, not a burner.

JMHO

Boy, Hyde wishes he has the explosion Teague has, and Teague wishes he has Hyde's vision

32 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Boy, Hyde wishes he has the explosion Teague has, and Teague wishes he has Hyde's vision

I think that Teague will get there with his vision. Right now, I think he's that "bull in a China shop"...he gets his 5+ carries a game and is so excited to maximize them that he just goes HARD/lacks patience.

I think 2020 he's going to shock the nation as to how good he is.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

He doesn't.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

But Shenault is slow.

Definitely not when he's healthy.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Marlon Mack? I don't see this one at all.

A much crappier version.

Taylor's strength is his ability to exploit tight spaces with great burst and feet. He keeps his feet going and can finish but he's not a power guy.

Dillion's really underrated. Doesn't quite have Henry's straight line speed but he's faster and much more agile than most give him credit for. Another close comp would be.. Brandon Jacobs with better pad level.

Dobbins reportedly ran really fast out of HS. He's def not running 4.3 anymore. He's a shifty power back with a solid all around game. Nearly identical to what Hyde was coming out.

37 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Straight line speed I think he's as fast as Faulk and LT. Maybe Saquon.

Lateral agility? Definitely not.

I like a Marshall Faulk with better contact balance as a comparison actually.

Perhaps it's the initial acceleration then. I don't see his "burst" on par with those above...maybe his breakaway speed.

On 12/3/2019 at 10:10 AM, zappa13004 said:

Maybe Mark Ingram for Dobbins ?

Really like this comp. Yes, at this point of his career Ingram is a power runner, and he was considered one coming out of Bama, but if you've actually consistently watched him play during his career, you'd know that he also has surprising wiggle for his build. He has a great juke move in the box and can make cuts really cleanly. Good balance, too. Overall, I really like the Ingram comp for Dobbins, as I think they're both power runners with deceptive explosion and really nice cutting ability. Both have good contact balance to shrug off tackles and have above average receiving chops.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...