College/NFL Comparisons

zappa13004

44 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm changing my Herbert comp to Jake Locker. I just see such a narrow path for his NFL success.

A couple more:

Patrick Queen: Roquan Smith

Yetur Gross-Matos: Jason Pierre Paul

Queen can’t touch Roquan’s instincts. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Counselor said:

Queen can’t touch Roquan’s instincts. 

I love Queen's instincts, and I think they're in at least in lockstep with Smith the pro (my comps are prospect to pro, not prospect to prospect). Also, Smith played behind what I considered to be an elite collegiate defensive front at Georgia. I think Queen dealt with a lot more second-level blockers at LSU--which is what life in the NFL will be like.

I actually prefer Queen to Smith as a prospect. I think Queen has better take-on ability than Smith, and he's more active in coverage. Although I was much lower than Smith than most because of his weakness taking on blockers--posters swore he wouldn't need to do that because he was so quick and smart. I think I've been proven right in that respect so far.

Edited by Rich7sena

11 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I love Queen's instincts, and I think they're in at least in lockstep with Smith the pro (my comps are prospect to pro, not prospect to prospect). Also, Smith played behind what I considered to be an elite collegiate defensive front at Georgia. I think Queen dealt with a lot more second-level blockers at LSU--which is what life in the NFL will be like.

I actually prefer Queen to Smith as a prospect. I think Queen has better take-on ability than Smith, and he's more active in coverage. Although I was much lower than Smith than most because of his weakness taking on blockers--posters swore he wouldn't need to do that because he was so quick and smart. I think I've been proven right in that respect so far.

Where would you place Queen over all on your big board in this draft?

Finished watching film on Yetur Gross-Matos and he is a Chandler Jones clone. Their styles are so similar it's unbelievable. First step explosion you expect from a dominant pass rusher is lacking. It almost looks as if they delay their rush intentionally to get a read on the OL/play. But with their long arms (length in general) and natural flexibility they can get to the QB in a pinch. Watching Chandler Jones getting to the QB is a beautiful masterpiece every single time. It has quite a different vibe than e.g. Von Miller who just flies around the edge. I wouldn't call it a finesse skill, but in fact it's the polar opposite of what most explosive pass rushers do. Gross-Matos has the same question marks Chandler Jones had entering the league. In fact Chandler Jones didn't even have half the production at Syracuse that Gross-Matos had at Penn State. And that's despite being used inside quite some and then lots of edge contain duties considering they mostly faced run-heavy offenses/RPO. Good coaching will be key as has been for Chandler Jones. I have YGM as the 2nd best EDGE prospect. He is much better than Chaisson already. YGM is a very good run defender and reports that he can't contain or hold up are just lazy. He needs a few more moves in his bag and then some work to fulfil the potential of his long arms, but it's not like he is a totally raw prospect as some lazy reports claim. Past season you could see vast improvement from YGM and you can tell he had much more of a plan than the year before. Can't imagine how he would slip out of the top 20. He should go somewhere in the teens.

Edit: Went back and compared YGM's numbers to Chandler Jones. They are indeed identical. Vertical (34 - 35), broad jump (both 120), bench (20 - 22). Same height (6'5) and exactly same weight at the combine (266). Arm length as well (34 7/8 - 35 1/8). Hardly ever has a comparison been so smooth.

Edited by Fullback
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Fullback said:

Finished watching film on Yetur Gross-Matos and he is a Chandler Jones clone. Their styles are so similar it's unbelievable. First step explosion you expect from a dominant pass rusher is lacking. It almost looks as if they delay their rush intentionally to get a read on the OL/play. But with their long arms (length in general) and natural flexibility they can get to the QB in a pinch. Watching Chandler Jones getting to the QB is a beautiful masterpiece every single time. It has quite a different vibe than e.g. Von Miller who just flies around the edge. I wouldn't call it a finesse skill, but in fact it's the polar opposite of what most explosive pass rushers do. Gross-Matos has the same question marks Chandler Jones had entering the league. In fact Chandler Jones didn't even have half the production at Syracuse that Gross-Matos had at Penn State. And that's despite being used inside quite some and then lots of edge contain duties considering they mostly faced run-heavy offenses/RPO. Good coaching will be key as has been for Chandler Jones. I have YGM as the 2nd best EDGE prospect. He is much better than Chaisson already. YGM is a very good run defender and reports that he can't contain or hold up are just lazy. He needs a few more moves in his bag and then some work to fulfil the potential of his long arms, but it's not like he is a totally raw prospect as some lazy reports claim. Past season you could see vast improvement from YGM and you can tell he had much more of a plan than the year before. Can't imagine how he would slip out of the top 20. He should go somewhere in the teens.

Edit: Went back and compared YGM's numbers to Chandler Jones. They are indeed identical. Vertical (34 - 35), broad jump (both 120), bench (20 - 22). Same height (6'5) and exactly same weight at the combine (266). Arm length as well (34 7/8 - 35 1/8). Hardly ever has a comparison been so smooth.

I think you should post more often. Much appreciated analysis here. 

• Like 2